Nigh vision question about laws in ND

zr600

Ok the law isn't wrighten as, Use of any spot lights or artificial lighting is prohibited. Use of night vision, electronic light gathering optics or thermal imaging is allowed. Now what's is the electronic light gathering optic? Would like an ATM xsight ii be allowed to be used with the ir? What is the ir? I want to build a 20 practical or 17/223 ar for night hunting. Were can I learn more about these affordable night vision scopes?

The IR you are referring to would be used with NV and the X-Sight. The "IR" illuminator emits a light you can't see with your "human" eye, but the "camera" or NV device can, giving you the ability to see without an ambient light source like stars or moonlight, and would be illegal if your state doesn't allow for an artificial light source. South Dakota had a similar law that was amended recently in our favor.

I've got a few buddies/clients who kill hundreds of Coyotes annually up north. They are going Thermal. The law just changed up there over the past year, and I'm not 100% certain on the artificial illumination in conjunction with NV optics, but thermal is good to go.

You can PM for any additional help or questions, or feel free to call, we've got a lot of experience using Thermal and NV kit killing Coyotes.

An ATN Xsight II is allowed as long as you don't use the IR light that comes as an attachment to the scope. You can use Night vision but you can't use an artificial light and unfortunately IR counts as artificial light.

Now, the advantage of night vision is diminished greatly without the use of IR. I will be using thermal for scope and monocular this year.

Here is the wording from the 17-18 ND furbearer's guide:

Coyote and fox (red and gray) may be hunted at any hour. Any person who engages in coyote or fox hunting from 30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise must hunt exclusively on foot. Use of spotlights or any other artificial light is prohibited. Use of night vision or thermal imaging equipment is allowed. Opens: November 27 – Closes: March 15

You can still build a night hunting rig but if a thermal option is not in your budget, then put a good piece of glass on for a scope and hunt using the moon and snow cover.

Originally Posted By: Kirsch

Here is the wording from the 17-18 ND furbearer's guide:

Use of spotlights or any other artificial light is prohibited. Use of night vision or thermal imaging equipment is allowed. Opens: November 27 – Closes: March 15

The wording here can be disputed a bit. If you are set on a NV unit that uses IR, I would contact your local Ranger and ask him about it. Their wording is definitely making it out to be artificial light that is clearly visible to the human eye. Tell your local GFP that the IR illumination device is "night vision equipment" and can literally only be used as such.

I stopped into the F&G today to grab a bow hunting tag and swung into the enforcement office to ask about IR ilumination.

The only source of light can be natural, moon and sun only.

I spent some wasted time discussing identifying targets with IR vs without. They were not interested in hearing my point and seemed ticked that I was questioning the rule.

Wanted to share my findings.

Back