22 Nosler

Bail

What are you guys thoughts about this round in the AR? I've been looking for an alternative that's a little closer to a 22-250 without paying the price for a 250.

I wasn't happy with mine until it was converted to Hagar brass with the 6.8spc bolt.

After the conversion it produced results I was expecting from the nosler.

If I were to do it again I would have done 22beast or 22hellcat which may produce more speed with less pressure and the brass would be easier to form.

The 22hellcat (22x47L) may possibly out perform all of the above including the 22-250 and the lapua brass is renowned for quality and readily available.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BleedsBlueI wasn't happy with mine until it was converted to Hagar brass with the 6.8spc bolt.

After the conversion it produced results I was expecting from the nosler.

If I were to do it again I would have done 22beast which may produce more speed with less pressure and the brass would be easier to form.

I personally am a big proponent of the 22X6.8. The NOSGAR (22 Nolser made out of HAGAR)brass that Blue has sent me wil be shot next week. It's the same capacity of my 22X6.8 so it will be a toss up. The 22X6.8 is shorter so you can use some different bullets over the 22 Nolser-NOSGAR.

With the use of HAGAR or 6.8 brass we are able to get higher pressure.If one were not a hand loader then the Nosler would be OK IMHO. I will also state that a high pressure, 61,000 psi NATO loaded 556 will give the Nosler one heck of a run for it's money and I have the numbers to prove it.

Greg

If you do go this route buy a quality barrel from Black Hole, WOA or another recognized name. If you but a STONER you are playing the lottery. I did, I lost, and it is now off my upper and Larry and I will be having a talk. Ben Franklin had a little saying about that IIRC.

Originally Posted By: old catGL do you know anyone who would build a 22 Hellcat upper?
That's what I was gonna ask. LOL. I'm more of an off the shelf guy. I appreciate the info. I did see that the 22 nosler is $400 at Midway. But I think it was a Stoner. I don't like playing the lotto so maybe I'll wait for someone else to start making a complete upper.

I figured I would get subscribed before varminter 223 shows up lol

Here is his 22" 1:12 white oak barreled upper, CFE hand loads.

17903636_10155321618581812_6270377007911787193_n.jpg

It may be a little hard on brass but its pretty hard to beat for off the shelf ammo availability.

Buy a 22" 12 twist WOA, screw it together, buy brass and drive tacks with 55 bts and a max load of cfe 223 at 3550 fps. Ya there are gonna be some ocassional swipes, but Ive got probably around a dozen loadings before I split 2 necks. It a great round unless ocassional swipes concern you.
Factory 55 ammo was over 3500 fps and was MOA or sub MOA for five shots.
Varget was also very accurate but 200 fps slower. It didn't matter whether I used Varget or cfe223, the point of impact was always the same with the 55 with the factory ammo as well.
Don't bother with anything shorter than 22 inch and don't buy one of those Stoner barrels they are junk.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Buy a 22" 12 twist WOA, screw it together, buy brass and drive tacks with 55 bts and a max load of cfe 223 at 3550 fps. Ya there are gonna be some ocassional swipes, but Ive got probably around a dozen loadings before I split 2 necks. It a great round unless ocassional swipes concern you.
Factory 55 ammo was over 3500 fps and was MOA or sub MOA for five shots.
Varget was also very accurate but 200 fps slower. It didn't matter whether I used Varget or cfe223, the point of impact was always the same with the 55 with the factory ammo as well.
Don't bother with anything shorter than 22 inch and don't buy one of those Stoner barrels they are junk.

What is a swipe?

A swipe occurs when the gas system applys enough gas to begin rotating and unlocking the bolt at a point when the chanber pressure is still high enough to have the case head extruded or shoved into the holes in the bolt face such as the ejector hole. An adjustable gas block can be used to tone the gas system down to a degree. WOA also now builds their 22" and longer 22 Nosler barrels with a longer than rifle length gas sytem to delay the bolt rotation and unlocking. Mine was an early rifle length gas system.

Last edited:
Back