Kimber Open Country update

Bruised

A couple months ago I asked about member's experiences with Kimber rifles. Well I ordered a Kimber Open Country in May and received it July 5th. Fit and finish on the rifle is excellent.
The barrel sits evenly in the stock, no gaps around tang or bottom metal. The "Kim-Pro" finish is very nice looking and evenly applied. We'll see about durability. The only thing that I'm not crazy about is the very deep curve of the trigger. The function of the trigger is very good, it will just take some time to get used to the trigger blade/shoe whatever you want to call it. I was able to quickly adjust the trigger to around 2 1/2 pounds.
I mounted a Leupold VX6 3-18 in Talley light weight rings and bore sighted. I've never done a true barrel break-in before but thought I'd try it on this rifle. I got a box of Hornady American Gunner 140gr for the initial tests. First outing I was only able to fire 17 rounds due to a strong thunderstorm. After 3 rounds at 100 yards to zero the scope I moved to 200 yards. I was pleased to have all 17 shots under 3/4 MOA.
I loaded a 10 shot ladder test with the once fired Hornady cases, Berger 140 VLD-hunting bullets, Reloader 16 and CCI BR2s.
At 200 yds all 10 rounds, with a 1.8 grain spread were in a 3/4 MOA group. I then performed the Berger seating depth test and now have a 1/4 MOA load with only 44 rounds fired. Needless to say, I'm very happy wit this rifle so far.
Bobby

Sounds like it's a REAL shooter. I looked up the specs, and it's hard to fathom a sub-7 pound rifle with a barrel that looks that thick, but sounds like just the ticket for a longer range, carry rifle. Thanx for sharing.

I've had similar results with my kimber Adirondack... Haven't got better than 1/2 moa but nothing worse than an inch. but then I've only ran factory thus far. Still getting geared up for rolling my own. I've added a break to control muzzle jump and now can see my impacts. Trigger set at 2 3/4. I call it my little rifle that can... And milk jugs at 800, well it's too much fun...

It does creep high if I string more than 3 or 4 shots in quick succession... But that isn't really an issue.. Its not a competition or pdog gun... Looking forward to this fall.. And wolf season to commence...

You are welcome. I believe the weight savings comes from the carbon/Kevlar stock and the barrel flutes are much deeper than any factory rifle that I've seen.

Jim, I have only shot 3 shot groups so far, except for my ladder test. 10 shots in roughly 10 minutes and showed no stringing. hopefully the heavier barrel will maintain POI for longer strings.
I was actually looking at the Montana and Adirondack when I stumbled across the Open Country on Kimber's website.

Before I installed a harris bipod and a muzzle brake, my Montana in 243 win was the most difficult rifle I had ever shot. It seemed the barrel would jump up 5 inches, making a smooth follow-through very difficult. Light rifles are critters all of their own.
I had mine rebarreld. It now shoots 1/2 MOA w/o the fliers I use to get.

Back