Anyone used the .243 cal 75 gr Vmax on Hogs?

MOJO67

Gent's,

I've been doing some load work-up for my 240 Weatherby and found an unbelievable combination with RL-26 and a 75 gr Vmax at 3700 fps.
I normally use my 257 Wby for hogs, but was thinking this would be a good dual use Coyote/Hog load. Anyone ever used the 75 Vmax on hogs?

Never shot a hog with one but I've shot a lot of coyotes with 75gr Vmax out of my 6-284 and H4350. I don't know what they'd be like on a hog but they are definitely NOT fur friendly on coyotes and leave very large gaping holes. They're a pretty explosive bullet not sure how they'd be on a hog. Never shot a hog so I don't know what it takes to kill those.

I've been wanting to try RL26 in my 6-284 because I'm guessing I'd pick up a pretty good amount of velocity but my H4350 load shoots such tiny little groups that it's been hard for me to get very excited about using anything else.

I would try a different bullet. I have used 60gr v max. The hog sucked it up and took it. I have used nosler bt and SST on them with good luck. I shoot 125gr nosler bt out of my 300 wby. It's little to much gun for them. Too much damage.

I'll probably get thrashed for saying this but a V-max is a varmint bullet and not a good choice for a feral hog.
Unless you just want to wound him and watch him run off.

I'm sure you would probably have mixed results depending on shot placement. I Would look at the 70 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. They are a sturdier bullet which would probably perform better on hogs than the Vmax. They are my go-to 243 bullet for coyotes also. Bang-flops are the norm and very little pelt damage so far.

70 grain nbt will do it or better yet the 90 grain accubond. I have a great 70g load with R10.. I agree with head shot only with vmax.. not a frontal head shot

Last edited:
Mojo, I realize that it is only a hog you are talking about, but a 80g tipped triple shock, 85g triple shock, 85g Speer btsp, 90g Accubond, 100g Hornady would be way better than a 75g Vmax that is a kin to shooting a paint ball on a hog's skull. Ever see a hog bigger than a canoe?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Firehand70 grain nbt will do it or better yet the 90 grain accubond. I have a great 70g load with R10.. I agree with head shot only with vmax.. not a frontal head shot

Ditto this, but good luck finding the Accubonds!

A great dual
Purpose bullet is the 80gr Barnes TTSX or 85gr TSX. For coyotes it leaves two small holes and on deer and Antelope it penetrates all the way through opening up a fatal wound to the cavity. A .243 can get them going to 3200 fps.

Great, accurate, deadly bullet. I've never experimented with the 80ge Hornady gMX, but I believe hats the bullet they load in their "full boar" factory ammunition. Again, probably a great dual
Purpose round.

Back