what 45-70 lever gun scope?

ohihunter2014

well I bit the bullet and got a marlin 1895 45-70 for my new deer gun and I'm torn what to do with scopes. I have a Nikon 3-9 on my old 45-70/single shot and I have a Nikon 2-7 on a 44 carbine. the 44 is mostly used for my thick cover hunting and a loaner so I was thinking of throwing say a simmons or something on it and putting the 2-7 on the lever action or putting the 3-9 on the lever action.

I found a great deal on Leopold vx1 3-9 which is a little smaller and lighter then the Nikon 3-9 but part of me says its overkill. this will be my Ohio deer gun where I could shoot from 25-150yards. I'm thinking the 3-9 would help for range, light gathering, etc.

what would you guys do? trying to make the best setup here so I don't have to mess with it for the next 40yrs.

Leupold VX-1 Shotgun 1-4X20 with the Heavy Duplex. Very quick on target, especially for short rangers in cover.

Or better yet, order the VX-2 from their custom shop with a German #1 and set the parallax to 75 yards. Then you'd be set for sure.

I have a Leupold VX2 2-7x33 on both my 1895GS and my 444S. Great scopes, I had a Simmons on a 30-30 for 20 years and thought it was good until I put a VX2 on that also, WOW night and day difference. Go with the good stuff as soon as the budget allows, you won't be disappointed.

PS, the 45-70 & 444 are both zeroed dead on at 150 yards.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RiflemannI have a Leupold VX2 2-7x33 on both my 1895GS and my 444S. Great scopes, I had a Simmons on a 30-30 for 20 years and thought it was good until I put a VX2 on that also, WOW night and day difference. Go with the good stuff as soon as the budget allows, you won't be disappointed.

PS, the 45-70 & 444 are both zeroed dead on at 150 yards.

do you think the vx2 is worth the extra cost over vx1 or Nikon prostaff?

The VX-2 is easily better than either of those. Optically and mechanically. Plus, you said for the long haul...stop skimping a couple bucks if you want to achieve that.

how about burris fullfield II? its been recommended a few times by people but never messed with burris.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760The VX-2 is easily better than either of those. Optically and mechanically. Plus, you said for the long haul...stop skimping a couple bucks if you want to achieve that.

thanks. was just making sure it was an actual upgrade.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Fullfield II is somewhere between the VX-1 and 2 optically. But I feel the erector system of the VX-2 still beats it.

sorry you lost me with the erector system comment? trying to keep the funds down but get a good scope. local shop has fullfield 2-7 for like $145 and vx1 for $169, vx2 for $239 and a couple online places are cheaper then that. all sale prices.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014 local shop has fullfield 2-7 for like $145 and vx1 for $169, vx2 for $239

that should make some kind of light bulb come on in you head.

you see it yet?

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014Originally Posted By: pahntr760Fullfield II is somewhere between the VX-1 and 2 optically. But I feel the erector system of the VX-2 still beats it.

sorry you lost me with the erector system comment? trying to keep the funds down but get a good scope. local shop has fullfield 2-7 for like $145 and vx1 for $169, vx2 for $239 and a couple online places are cheaper then that. all sale prices.

Internal adjustment system for the VX-2 is far superior to the FF II. The optics are much better, flatter and present a brighter image and will work better in low light. The Leupold (either) is much more refined in build and built in the USA.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014 what would you guys do? trying to make the best setup here so I don't have to mess with it for the next 40yrs.

Again, stop trying to save money in the short term that will only cause you to spend more later. Save if you have to, but make sure the money spent is wisely done. Buy once, cry once...it really is that simple.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014Originally Posted By: pahntr760Fullfield II is somewhere between the VX-1 and 2 optically. But I feel the erector system of the VX-2 still beats it.

Internal adjustment system for the VX-2 is far superior to the FF II. The optics are much better, flatter and present a brighter image and will work better in low light. The Leupold (either) is much more refined in build and built in the USA.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014 what would you guys do? trying to make the best setup here so I don't have to mess with it for the next 40yrs.

Again, stop trying to save money in the short term that will only cause you to spend more later. Save if you have to, but make sure the money spent is wisely done. Buy once, cry once...it really is that simple. What pahntr760 said. You will pay for what you get in quality and in anything. You buy the best you can afford and you will not regret it. I have gone the cheap route before only to be disappointed and pissed off at myself for doing it. Get the one you want or don't get it at all because you really will not be satisfied.

760 has given you some good advice. I shoot VX-1's and 2' in 1-4x20mm on my coyote combo guns one of their advantages is they can be mounted very low nearly in line with the original iron sights making work well with stocks designed for iron sights. Being low power they have very large FOV's allowing faster target acquisition in the forests Because they are lower power they are still very bright even with their 20mm objectives.

A couple of others you might want to look at are the Weaver V-3 1-3x20mm scope they can have some fisheye on the lowest power but it is just at the edge of the image, of the three I own only one is really noticeable and I have that one on my Rem 760 in 35 Rem the other is on my Sav. 99 in 375 Win. Nikon made a 1.5-4.5x20mm Monarch UCC they can be found reasonable, I paid less than $200 for one when it was new.

Low power straight tube scope are perfect for lever guns.

Weaver V-3 on a combo gun

Leupold VX-1 on a combo gun, this past Feb. I killed a coyote at 170+ yards and another at 6 feet.

A Leupold VX-II on a drilling

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014Originally Posted By: pahntr760Fullfield II is somewhere between the VX-1 and 2 optically. But I feel the erector system of the VX-2 still beats it.

Again, stop trying to save money in the short term that will only cause you to spend more later. Save if you have to, but make sure the money spent is wisely done. Buy once, cry once...it really is that simple.

not really trying to cheap out just making sure im getting the best bang for the buck. I see a lot of people use the burris and i found it on sale or clearance so i figured i would ask. its normally the same price as a vx1. Yes, i know the vx2 is more money so it should be better but i wanted to make sure it was actually better optically then the other two.

Yes I think the VX2 is a great scope for the money. I have had Nikon Monarchs and buck masters scopes in the past on a couple guns and and they were good scopes, but I have been on a upgrade on all my scoped guns to all Leupolds. I still have a Nikon Monarch on my Rem 700 30-06, but either this fall or next summer I plan to replace that scope with a VX6 3-18x40. This will be my most expensive scope, but it is my main deer rifle when I am not shooting any of my lever guns.
Now my choice of scope brands is a Chevy vs. ford type of thing, I like Leupold, others like another brand, Good luck on whatever you decide to buy.

I have a Wild West Custom 45-70 with a leupold 2-7 Scout scope with duplex reticle. With the scope mount forward the recoil is never an issue and the scope is really light. The balance is great too.

I HAVE THE GUIDE GUN AND HUNT THE WOODS UNTIL LATE AS POSSIBLE,WHEN THE BIG BOYS MOVE, AND THE vx2 WORKS THE BEST IN THE LOW LIGHT.LEUPOLD IS A GREAT SCOPE AND A TOP NOTCH COMPANY THAT BACKS THEIR SCOPES.I REALLY LIKE THE HEAVY DUPLEX.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014why the heavy duplex preference? I take it easier to see in the woods?

Yes...quicker target acquisition and more defined crosshairs against the timber.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014well I bit the bullet and got a marlin 1895 45-70 for my new deer gun and I'm torn what to do with scopes. I have a Nikon 3-9 on my old 45-70/single shot and I have a Nikon 2-7 on a 44 carbine. the 44 is mostly used for my thick cover hunting and a loaner so I was thinking of throwing say a simmons or something on it and putting the 2-7 on the lever action or putting the 3-9 on the lever action.

I found a great deal on Leopold vx1 3-9 which is a little smaller and lighter then the Nikon 3-9 but part of me says its overkill. this will be my Ohio deer gun where I could shoot from 25-150yards. I'm thinking the 3-9 would help for range, light gathering, etc.

what would you guys do? trying to make the best setup here so I don't have to mess with it for the next 40yrs.

I have the marlin 1895GBL and i put a nice weaver scout scope on it and works perfect. Used the 45-70 to kill deer in ohio when I lived there last year. Its a sledge hammer for sure

Ive also heard that Vortex makes a nice 2-7x32 scout scope. Might want to check them out. I just bought another marlin 1895G that I might put that scope on.

Last edited:
Back