Finally got another .223 Bolt! (First group)

MPFD

I had a Stevens 200 in .223 that foolishly I traded for a .308 Stevens. I thought I needed a .260 rem in my life, so I sacrificed the .223 rem. I loved that .223 rifle, it had a used Boyds stock and a Rifle Basix trigger and it shot clovers! I had hits on crows out to 300 yards with it. I've been trying to replace it ever since, but for some reason people thinks .223 Stevens rifles are gold plated! I hadn't seen one under $400 in a couple years. I was just looking at gun broker today and found a Stevens 200 with a current bid of $215. I made a $250 dollar bid and went to bed thinking I'd never get it. (I work nights..) Woke up today to find I won it for $230!

Last edited:
Good snag. I have a Stevens 223 but its a HB in a Boyd's thumbhole stock. It had a 40 power scope on it and I got it for $400. I shelved the telescope, don't need to look at the moon and put a smaller Nikon on it. It shoots good. They do seem to bring a good price these days. Worth more now than when they were new. But thats not always a bad thing.

This one won't be sold! It's crazy what they bring... I hope this one will do as well as my old one did.

Good news indeed. The .223 does everything so darn good it's hard to imagine any varminter being without one. Or two. Or three.

I think that I can safely say that I will never run out of .223 brass either. I started buying it was it was cheap cheap cheap and picked up thousands of rounds of brass at our local range. Still have got boxes of it still waiting to be cleaned and loaded. Never will I be without a .223.

Hey! That ryhmes!

Originally Posted By: pyscodogRuss, your a poet and don't know it, but your feet show it.....They're Longfellows!

Oh boo hiss, Bob! I thought mine was bad! And it was!
w00t.gif

Originally Posted By: pyscodogMy friends call me Bill, my mother called me Billy and the girls call me Sweet William!!
wub.gif

Is that a Bill Clinton line? Do you play the saxophone?

Last edited:
I was thinking that too Lefty. Sorry MPFD and I'm sure your new Stevens will be a shooter.The one in my post with the Thumbhole stock is a stevens. I had a Stevens in 223 years ago that shot good. I had the barrel cut to 18 inchs, why, IDK, but it shot even better!! I don't think this one will disappoint you.

Mounted a 3-9x old Nikon buckmaster, and got it zero'd. I used my AR loads and they shot pretty well getting it centered. First group was two touching and one left making the group just under MOA. I may have pulled the third shot, didn't feel good. Then I shot, the rounds I loaded for it. I just did one test group cause light was getting thin and my boy wanted to shoot his AR. If it continues this way it will be just as good as my old savage.

Group
url]

Last edited:
Back