Building my first ar10. Which caliber

bigtommy

So I am selling my Belgium made bar 30-06 because it just do a not get shot anymore and am going to put the money toward my new ar that I am going to build. I am just not sure if I want to build a 308 or a 6.5 creedmoor. It will be used for target mainly but will also get used for hunting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pahntr760I'd go with the 6.5 of some sort. Or a 243 would do nicely too. Heavy 6mm bullets are amazing!!

+1 What he said...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bigtommyThis would be deer and larger game. I already have a 243 bolt.

For deer AND LARGER GAME, I would go .308. At any reasonable hunting range the ballistics/drops are fairly similar but the ability to use larger diameter and heavier weight bullets gives the nod to the .30 cal in my opinion. Especially if by "larger game" we are talking black bear and elk which both have some heavy bone to contend with.

I cannot throw stones at the 6.5 Creedmore as it is a fine cartridge that I have used for many applications. But one of the biggest things is time behind the gun. Nothing replaces practice. That said, there are a lot of low cost options for ammunition in the .308 platform.

So if ammunition costs are a concern then .308

If not, 6.5 Creedmore

I'll vote 308 if you're not shooting out past 6-800. Can also run a shorter barrel which is nice.

Put an adjustable gas block on it, will save you alot of headache.

I will be putting adjustable gas block on what ever I build I love it on my ar15 builds so it will go on this build. Max distance will be 600 yards probably but if I can find a spot to shoot farther I would do so. As far as ammo costs yes cheaper is nicer but not main concern as I do reload.

I bought a DPMS LR308, with the intention of swapping out parts to get it set up the way I wanted, since on paper that looked less costly than buying parts. Problem with that plan was I assumed the factory barrel would actually shoot groups. So along with the parts I wanted to swap, I had to buy a new barrel. The factory chamber was 308 Win, and having a number of 308s, I decided to stick with that, when I ordered a new X-Caliber barrel. I did go with a slower twist, because I want this rifle to shoot 110-150 gr. bullets. Shortly after the order, I got into the 260 Rem., in a bolt gun, and now I wish I would have chambered the new LR-308 barrel in that. I shot a northern whitetail doe(140 lb dressed), this last deer season, with the 260 Rem., launching a 100 gr. Barnes TTSX. The autopsy showed that was plenty of energy and damage for me to consider it a cartridge for up to elk sized game. It shoots flatter, than the 308, and the selection of 6.5mm bullets makes it a good long range target choice as well.

The good news/bad news deal for me, was this X-Caliber barrel isn't impressive accuracy wise, with the loads I have tested. So it is possible that if I get tired of trying to find an accurate load, I order another barrel, in 260 Rem., from a different vendor.

Anyway, if it were me, I would look at getting either a 260 Rem. or a 6.5 Creedmor, in that AR-10. YMMV

Squeeze

I have this one that's just about done. DPMS upper, Quentin Defense lower and a Young FF tube.

tt0zF7B.jpg

I'll buy a grip this AM and then I'll have everything to finish it off. This one has a BHW 308 tube but I happen to have a new BHW 260 barrel in the tube waiting to swap out if I want to experiment this winter.

Greg

Im just now starting my first AR10 build also. I just went with a AR15 Performance 18" 308 barrel since it was on sale and a Aero Precision lower/upper receiver set from Primary Arms since they had the labor day sale.
I went 308 mainly as i have thousands of .308 projectiles and ammo cans full of brass for it. Along with lapua brass left over from my 308 Fclass rifle.

Originally Posted By: bigtommySo I am selling my Belgium made bar 30-06 because it just do a not get shot anymore and am going to put the money toward my new ar that I am going to build. I am just not sure if I want to build a 308 or a 6.5 creedmoor. It will be used for target mainly but will also get used for hunting.

The new Savage MSR 10 Hunter has everything I would put into a build..... Melonite 5R barrel, adjustable gas block, M-Lok handguard, 2 stage nickel boron trigger. The proprietary design is supposed to be smaller than a true AR10. The 6.5 Creedmoor has an 18 inch barrel at 8 lbs and the 308 with a 16 inch barrel weighs 7.8 lbs.

I have tried 3 different AR 10s for hog hunting and the bulk and weight was always an issue.

I should have one in 6.5 Creedmoor by the end of next week and I will see if it's a keeper for night hunting hogs with thermal. If it's a shooter I think it will be well worth the $1215 I paid for it. It might be easier and cheaper than a build.

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/msr10hunter

Here is the long ranger version.

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/msr10longrange

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanOriginally Posted By: GLShooterFinished it. Range time next week.

5ZqzqAp.jpg

Greg

What happened? you drop it in some green goop?

Ghostbusters.
crazy.gif

Greg

Originally Posted By: BoomstickIf you reload, 260, if you don't, Creed.
^^^^this
Don't get hung on the new super duper extreme long range 6.5s. The 260 still gets it done. Better in my opinion.

Back