I got asked the dreaded question

KyleWoods

It happened last week, I was prepping some new brass when my girlfriend walks in. We talked for a couple minutes then she starts looking at all the things on the reloading bench. Then she asks "How much money have you spent on all this stuff?"........Crickets for about 5 seconds then I say "Not that much". She's been hounding me about getting engaged so I don't think she would have liked my actual answer, especially because I haven't bought a ring yet! haha

Thought you guys might get a good laugh out of it as I'm sure you've been asked the same question.

So it's already started, even before your engaged.....Oh boy. I get asked about the money spent on rifles and related items by my wife, I just ask her to add up the money spent on all her diamond rings, other jewelry, clothes, shoes, purses, etc. and she doesn't need an answer from me anymore.

I have heard that there are purses that actually cost as much as a new Forster Co-Ax press!!
scared.gif

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: fw707I have heard that there are purses that actually cost as much as a new Forster Co-Ax press!!
scared.gif

lol.gif

Try over TEN Co-Axs.
crazy.gif

Greg

If you get a chance, check her closet and after counting the pairs of shoes, ask how much she has invested in her shoes, jewelry, and accessories....

My first wife was hinting at needing more child support until on a visit with the kids, I found 22 pair of new shoes and a lot of new clothes in her closet, the kids were eating cheap and wearing second hand store clothes...After that, my lawyer forced her to furnish receipts for what my child support was buying...End of discussion...

I just asked my wife how she would feel about me purchasing a new thermal setup (scanner and scope) she said "sure" without asking me what it costs......I might be divorced soon but I will already have a way to spend my lonely nights

Here's a little secret, three checking accounts. Hers, Mine and Ours, we each put in enough in ours to cover ALL the bills each month proportioned to our income. After that we keep our personal money in separate accounts. Were both on our second marriage and will be celebrating our thirtieth anniversary and in thirty years we've never had an argument about money and we've never had to ask if we could buy something whether it be a gun I want or a motorhome she wants. If we decide we want something special for the house we pool our money to buy it. We have date nights and take turns taking each other out.

Originally Posted By: AWSHere's a little secret, three checking accounts. Hers, Mine and Ours, we each put in enough in ours to cover ALL the bills each month proportioned to our income. After that we keep our personal money in separate accounts. Were both on our second marriage and will be celebrating our thirtieth anniversary and in thirty years we've never had an argument about money and we've never had to ask if we could buy something whether it be a gun I want or a motorhome she wants. If we decide we want something special for the house we pool our money to buy it. We have date nights and take turns taking each other out.

+1 happily married for almost 2 years now... this system has worked well for us too.

As someone on his 3rd..

Don't do it.. The person you are dating will not be the person you are married to.

Date, date, and keep dating. When they get mad, they leave and you don't have to give away half of your crap, and pay someone (or two) to split things.

Dating, they pay for half the bills, then move out when they get mad at something.

When dating they can't wait to get into your bed, go to things you want to go to, watch movies you want to watch, and support your past times.

call your married friends and ask if they wanna go out shooting. That should answer it for you.

I also use the 3 account methods. Yet i make sure that we both add more than the bills for savings. But, she is always dipping into it, late paying into it, and rarely pays for dinner out or anything. Even with the 3 account method, your money is ours, her's is hers, and the joint is for bills and her bills.

IF NOTHING ELSE,,,, NEVER SIGN UP FOR A CREDIT CARD AND GIVE THEM A CARD TO YOUR ACCOUNT.. MAKE THEM GET SIGN UP FOR THE CARD AND YOU GET THE EXTRA CARD. When they run it up, it's on them not you.

Spending a lot on a ring, is a waste of money.. At no time will you ever get a return on that investment..
Someday you will be sitting in the dark with Reaper wishing you would have spent less on that ring and bought the scope setup he is talking about.

The idea that you spend 2 months pay on a ring is stupid.. never tell a girlfriend (or wife) how much you actually make.. That is just a bad idea. Put 10% of your pay in an account, when its enough to buy a ring get a nice ring that will work. by the time you have enough in the jar, you will know if you are going to make the mistake or not.. but if it goes bad, you have a jar with money for a suppressor or something else nice like a custom rifle. Get engaged don't get married.

I only say this because any more there really isn't any reason to get married. There is almost no upside and lots of down sides. Just talk to someone that got a divorce.. Find that friend that had the crazy divorce. not the oh we just talked and went our way.. That person didn't realize they were being cheated on.. You know you are the one walking away when you swear the person that you used to sleep next to is worse than possessed harpies.

Some good advise here. On the credit cards, I know more than one guy on the hook for a credit card bill that his wife ran up without his knowledge just cuz they're married on paper.

Current girlfriend had her marriage ruined from a cheating spouse. Known her since we're kids, but she spent a LONG time in SoCalicommifornication, so her rural PA upbringing partially left her. She lies nice, new stuff, but not lots of it. She's learning to live on just her income again. The new Beemer every few yrs thing is going away though! LOL. She's not big on marriage again, and I'm not arguing. Separate money ends a bunch of issues, until one runs up debt and it's legally the other's debt too. We're early in the process of getting to know each other again too - who knows.

She does own a Louie Vitton purse that cost something like a grand, (upon finding that out, I was in shock - had no idea something so simple and ridiculous-looking could cost so much), but she's had it for 14, yes, FOURTEEN yrs! Now I'm all about a cheap Wally World replacement every few years myself, but she says she can sell this one on fleabay for most of what she paid, and get a new one. Her cash....not mine.

Point - establish the lines now. When she says something I disagree with, I disagree now - stoically so. She said she wanted to go to the beach. I said Nope, you go ahead. I dont need to pay for more summer heat, sun, and people in my life - esp. those kindsa people....we ended up at the hunting camp I belong to in northern PA - she grew up going there as a kid. We ended up having a great time. This road has it's bumps so far here and there, but so far, so good.

Remember marriage is a great way to ruin a good relationship.

BTW I started off my marriage the right way. We went deer hunting on our honeymoon.......but I have been hearing about it for the past 40 years.

Whatever works in any situation. Have friends that have not been nearly as fortunate as I've been.

In November, it will be 61 years ago that I married my high school sweetheart and we've hit it off pretty well, thanks to a very special lady. Good thing, too, as, especially in the early years, there wasn't enough money left over after the bills were paid to argue about or require a even a second accout, let alone to split with a former wife.
lol.gif

Thanks for reminding me just how blessed I have been.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: DogfaceRemember marriage is a great way to ruin a good relationship.

BTW I started off my marriage the right way. We went deer hunting on our honeymoon.......but I have been hearing about it for the past 40 years.

Wow, Dogface, I'm impressed, but you are right about them having a long memory!
grin.gif

We were married on Nov. 16th, which for years was opening day of deer season in Texas. I didn't get nerve enough to go to the hunting lease until our first anniversary. Every year, my wife asks what we are doing for our anniversary, and I jokingly reply, "Going to the deer lease, wanna come?" to which she replies, "I don't know how I managed to get you away from hunting camp long enough to get married." My reply to that is, "Didn't have a lease in 1956."

Thank the Lord, on top of all her other wonderful traits, she has a good sense of humor, too.
lol.gif

ETA: Forgot to mention, she just reminded me that I gave her a pair of snake boots for our first anniversary, but she laughed....a little.

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
Back