Can I maintain a 100 yard zero with a 15 MOA base?

the noobie

Giving my Rem 700 SPS Tactical a new set of glass. Figured while I am at it it may be worth ditching the two piece scope base and going to a one piece. Its only a .223 and I am putting an SWFA SS 3-15 ontop of it.

I remember here a few years ago someone had a .223 AI bolt gun that they were pushing to 1000 yards and this will be my ultimate goal but for now I will be pushing 69 grain SMKs to the 600 yard mark. Will I need the 15 MOA base if I ever want to go further or will the SS have enough adjustments?

While Im at it a 42mm objective should clear the SPS Tacticals barrel in medium rings correct? Wasnt sure if the one piece base would raise or lower from the current bases.

Run your ballistics, I'm not familiar with that optic, but get your rifle zero'd with it on, then see how much usable come up you have after the 100yd zero.

Your going to be somewhere around 50-70 MOA to a 1000yds with that round, so if you get a 20 MOA base, you'll still need 45-55 minutes of up with your turret, unless you can peg out and use a reticle for the rest and hold over.

The scope itself has 36 mils of total adjustments, I dont remember off the top of my head but I believe the reticle will allow for 6-10 mils of hold over.

I dont have any load info yet, Just coming out of college and havent got my reloading set up yet. The rest of my data is back at home in my fathers reloading room so I will probably have to start from scratch.

I just didnt know if a 15 MOA base would raise me too high to keep a close zero and was hoping someone has tried a similar setup

I quit fiddling around for the most part with off set bases several years ago. I use Burris Signature rings. The XTR's come packaged with a full set of inserts that will give you from 0 to 40 MOA of offset., plus no marks on the scope tubes. If you're a dialer it's easier to get one MOA on the reticle with one MOA on the knob. If you need more than 40 on the rings an adjustable base is needed.

Back