Another Boyd's question

pyscodog

I'm wanting to re-stock my Model 12 Savage. It has a heavy barrel. Boyd's only offers the At-One, Thumbhole and the Pro Varmint for the HB and those aren't my favorite choices. They have several choice's for standard barrel contours. Do you think there is enough wood in a standard barrel stock to open it up to accept the HB? The lady at Boyd's didn't seem to think there is. I'm hoping maybe a few of you can shed a little light on if its possible or not. I'd like to do a Classic or Prairie Hunter. Thanks

When i did that RA i was told by Boyds that there were coming out with there compete line of stocks for it. Well after waiting forever they didnt make the thumbhole stock for the bull barrel. Or any other that was for a bull contour. So i got the regular style prarie hunter i think for the RAP. Which it has a bit bigger barrel. But there is hardly enough wood there to inlet it all the way. I still have some work to do to get it a 100% free floated. So it is a gamble but it can be done!! My barrel is a full 1 inch at the crown. So if yours is a bit smaller you might just be fine.

Mines .818 at the crown. I've opened up several and some do get pretty thin out towards the end. I was just trying to keep it a little slimmer for carrying and the Pro Varmint is a beast. I can always go T-hole, just wanting something different.

Also these are laminates so they are a bit harder to work with. I used several different tools to open mine up. If you go this route pm me and i can tell you what all i used.

You should be fine then. Mine is 1.120 or so where the stock stops. But mine was for the RAP. So check with its size to the one that you want.

You should maybe try the at one stock out it comes with a traditional style grip. Plus if you cared to change it out down the road to a target style grip you can. I have one on my savage axis 22-243 and I like the way it fells holding it with eithor styles of grips. I would go for the at one. I didn't think the stock was to heavy.

I had to order a CZ 527 American (skinny barrel) stock for my CZ 527 Varmint because they didn't offer the model stock I wanted, for a 527 Varmint model. Took a bit of sanding to open up the barrel channel to fit my Varmint model but it really wasn't that bad. I sanded, test fit, then sanded more until I had it opened up enough to get the fit I was looking for. I think it only took me about an hour total before I was done and it was ready to be bed.

Unlike the super soft balsa wood the painted Pro Varmint stock I put on my Bmag seemed to be made of, the one I put on my 527 Varmint was a very hard wood and I used 80 grit wrapped around a wood dowel to open up the barrel channel.

Thanks guys, I think I may just order the ProVarmint and live with the weight. It will be on the bench the majority of the time any way.

I've been looking at the Boyd's stocks as well, as I'm in the same situation as you. Do you know if the ProVarmint is heavier than the new AT-ONE?

Originally Posted By: MatlockI've been looking at the Boyd's stocks as well, as I'm in the same situation as you. Do you know if the ProVarmint is heavier than the new AT-ONE?

I don't know. The AT-One is kinda cool looking, just not sure its what I want. I'd hate to buy one and figure out I didn't like it. Sure would like to do a "hands on" before buying one.

Originally Posted By: MatlockI've been looking at the Boyd's stocks as well, as I'm in the same situation as you. Do you know if the ProVarmint is heavier than the new AT-ONE?

I think unless you are getting a Pro Varmint with adjustable cheek piece and adj. LOP, it'll likely weigh a little less than the AT-ONE with all its extra hardware but I'd imagine it's a very minimal difference between the two.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: MatlockI've been looking at the Boyd's stocks as well, as I'm in the same situation as you. Do you know if the ProVarmint is heavier than the new AT-ONE?

I don't know. The AT-One is kinda cool looking, just not sure its what I want. I'd hate to buy one and figure out I didn't like it. Sure would like to do a "hands on" before buying one.

I talked to a guy over on longrangehunting that just put a Boyd's AT-ONE on his new rifle and he was very happy with it.

I replaced the stock on one of my CZ 527's a couple months ago and seriously considered the AT-ONE but when I placed my order I hadn't talked to anyone that had one yet so I second guessed myself and went with the Rimfire Hunter model instead. I have no issues with the one I got and for the money is a very good option for the CZ 527's, considering there aren't many, but, to do all over again, I would have ordered the AT-ONE and probably liked it a little better.

My only real complaint with Boyd's stocks is most of them have a relatively low comb height and if you're using a scope with a 50mm objective or you are using rings that are a little on the high-ish side, then the comb isn't really high enough and you have to lift up a little and I like to get a good cheek weld so that doesn't work for me. Depending on the scope and or ring height you plan to use, I'd definitely consider ordering one of their stocks with the adj cheek piece.

Last edited:
Well, bit the bullet and went with the Pro Varmint. Of course they are behind and its going to be 2-3 weeks for delivery but at least she was up front about it. I'm in no real big hurry other than that tupperware has got to go.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWell, bit the bullet and went with the Pro Varmint. Of course they are behind and its going to be 2-3 weeks for delivery but at least she was up front about it. I'm in no real big hurry other than that tupperware has got to go.

If you have ever had or handled the McMillan A5 stock and liked it, you'll like the Pro Varmint since it's pretty much just a wood laminate version of the McM A5. BUT, on the flip side, if you've had/used a McM A5 and hated it, welllllll, you're going to hate the Pro Varmint, too.
scared.gif

I have a McM A5 on my 338 Lap Imp and 6-284, like both of them very well so getting the Pro Varmint for my Bmag was an easy choice for me on that particular gun but I have a lot more rifles that don't have A5's than do and they are definitely not a stock style that everyone likes so hopefully you've at least handled an A5 style stock before.

I kind of like the simplicity of the Pro Varmint. Boyd's only warranties their products for 90 days, or that's what I could find on their web site. With the At-One being so new and all those adjustments, it makes me wonder how long they will last before something breaks.

I've had the PV on another rifle and liked it. I have a similar stock on a rimfire too.I just couldn't force myself to buy the At-One without seeing one first. Maybe another time, another rifle.

I have both the ProV and the At-One and there is a huge weight difference. The At-One weighs much less and comes in around what a traditional style laminate stock would weigh. It's noticeably smaller in size, that said...if you are shooting mostly off a bench, I would get the ProV. If you are worried about weight and like the ease and quickness of the adjustability of the At-One, go that route.

The only thing I dislike about the At-One is the adj cheek is chintzy and moves when on the highest setting.

I just got a conformation and tracking number today. Just ordered it on the 13th. Way to go Boyd's!!! A lot faster than the last time I ordered from them.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI just got a conformation and tracking number today. Just ordered it on the 13th. Way to go Boyd's!!! A lot faster than the last time I ordered from them.

The people who answer the phones at Boyd's are always very pleasant but I don't believe I've ever talked to a company representative that knew LESS about their product than the folks that answer the phones at Boyd's. If you have a specific question and you can't find the answer on their website, forget about it, because anyone who answers the phone at that place will know less than you and I've for sure never dealt with a company that went from delivering a product in less than two weeks on one purchase to nearly three months on another purchase. They seem to be alllllll over the map when it comes to their delivery estimates but they'll always say two weeks. Nice folks but I think they're a little effed up at times.

Back