Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Topic Options
#3077434 - 06/23/17 10:04 AM How do you range groundhogs in open fields?
KyleWoods Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Just like the title says, I am curious how you guys do it. I have a Sig Kilo 2000, once the groundhogs get out past 300 yards it's hard to hold steady to get a reading. Most places are relatively flat with hardly any landmarks. Another problem I have is the reticle on the Kilo is fairly large compared to a groundhog so that makes it even more difficult. I'm thinking my best option is to buy a tripod to mount the rangefinder to.

#3077489 - 06/23/17 04:06 PM Re: How do you range groundhogs in open fields? [Re: KyleWoods]
why Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: md eastern shore
I use a rangefinder, but like you say they don't work very well on groundhog size objects at long range. I try to sit on a hill so I am looking down or across to a hillside. If I have to I will range two objects, one closer and one farther than the GH and split the different. Most of my guns are pretty flat shooting so if I am a few yds off I will still make the shot.
edit to add. Another thing you may want to try is to rest your RF on your scope to help steady it. I do this pretty often. Getting old sucks but it beats the alternative.

Edited by why (06/23/17 04:27 PM)

#3077697 - 06/25/17 11:26 AM Re: How do you range groundhogs in open fields? [Re: KyleWoods]
wahoowad Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Central Virginia
It's hard when it is flat. I usually have some other terrain feature that I can compare the groundhog to.

My older Leupold lets me hold the button in and it will give a continuous readout. This lets me try and hold it steady and then I go with the readout where I thought I picked it up. Also you can go with a center mass shot at those distances in case you are off an inch or two in drop and still get it.

#3078102 - 06/27/17 07:37 PM Re: How do you range groundhogs in open fields? [Re: KyleWoods]
Wyoming Winchester Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: WY
I look thru my Swarovski 10x42 binos, hit the button for the range finder, put the circle on the dog, and let go.

Might do it twice too make sure. They work.

#3081258 - 07/17/17 11:10 AM Re: How do you range groundhogs in open fields? [Re: KyleWoods]
Boomstick Offline

Loc: NY
instead of trying to get an instant read of the hog, try it in scan mode. Might get you a better estimate of distance instead of trying to get him in the reticle.

#3081260 - 07/17/17 11:28 AM Re: How do you range groundhogs in open fields? [Re: KyleWoods]
Bowhntr6pt Offline

Loc: Central Florida
In for tips.

#3081292 - 07/17/17 02:17 PM Re: How do you range groundhogs in open fields? [Re: KyleWoods]
Gman757 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: FL

I don't know JS about hunting groundhogs but ranging hogs at night with thermal in open fields is pretty tough.

Myself and a few other guys have started using the Radius Rangefinder. It can be rail mounted or scope mounted and you use a built in laser to set it up to co-witness with your scope POI. I have had good results with mine mounted on a 6.5 Grendel using the supplied mouse pad to range with.

They recently dropped in price from $950 to $399.

http://shop.brownells.com/optics-mountin...WXC8aAteE8P8HAQ

Edited by Gman757 (07/17/17 09:12 PM)

#3081639 - 07/19/17 08:31 AM Re: How do you range groundhogs in open fields? [Re: KyleWoods]
KyleWoods Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Thanks for the replies guys, I don't have the money to throw at the radius rangefinder but that looks like a pretty cool system. I'll just stick to ranging in the area of the groundhog to get a rough yardage (+/- 25 yards)

#3081931 - 07/20/17 05:52 PM Re: How do you range groundhogs in open fields? [Re: KyleWoods]
sscoyote Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: pueblo, co
I check the lowest point along the reticle where I get a reading as well. Its almost never at the center of the reticle. Easy to check against a target that's silhouetted against the horizon. Just keep it steady and keep going higher and higher until you don't get a reading anymore. Your last reading is the point along the reticle you want to use to line up on targets. My Leica BRf's is along the bottom line of the reticle. I use my laser in typically flat prairie dog towns often even from prone, and it only occasionally doesn't work. Don't expect the laser to range off a PD or chuck though beyond a couple hundred yds. You're more than likely ranging the terrain around it.

Forum Stats
54418 Members
87 Forums
325467 Topics
3065236 Posts

Max Online: 4372 @ 01/25/15 10:27 PM
Today's Birthdays
BiggMayn, brdeano, Courtgus, Foxman14, huntyotes, JW Stevens, lewis, NEYOTEMAN, rainshadow1, Rossier450r, simon_445, slack
© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.