CZ 527 vs Howa Mini Action

RBO11

Wondering what you guys think about these two rifles.

CZ's are handy and slender little rifles, but the extended mag is annoying. I don't mind the backwards safety, and you usually get a decent piece of walnut on the American model. And the trigger can be used as a set trigger, or fully adjusted in regular mode to be sweet!

I don't like the cheap plastic stock on the Howa Mini, but see Boyd's is now making stocks for them, and you can buy just a barreled action. The extended mags are even more annoying to me on this rifle, and the mag release protrudes way too far and the mag unintentionally drops out on occasion. I did find out this could be fixed. Be even better if they had a flush-fit 5-round mag they originally promised. Decent trigger, but not as good as a CZ (once it's been fine tuned)

I'd like to get a 6.5 Grendel in a compact bolt action, and was leaning heavy towards the CZ, but now see that Boyd's has finally made a stock for the Howa. What do you guys think? I see a few pros and cons to each.

CZ hands down. I've got a .17 Rem and .223 in the CZ mini Mauser cations and they are Smooooooooth. Reliable and the extended mags are at least made of metal, not cheap plastic.

My dad has a howa .204. Their mini action isn't bad, but the accuracy and realiablikity not to mention craftsmanship the CZ gives you doesn't make it a contest in my eyes.

My understanding is that Howa's tend to be pretty accurate but I've heard to many stories of dropped and/or lost magazines due to that release.

I'm a CZ fan so I'm biased but I'd pass on the Howa Mini.

Went to my local gun shop with the intention of buying a howa then he showed me cz was coming out with one and I can tell you I've handled both the cz was worth the wait it showed up 3 weeks ago and and man is it nice and so far the thing at 100yds prints 7/8in groups of 5rds on a new gun and people tell me it's only going to get better

I've had a couple of Howa's and they shot really well but they didn't have the detachable mag so that wasn't an issue. The CZ will probably have a pretty decent stock and the triggers are good. They generally shoot really good too. Guess you just need to pick the one you like. Both will probably please you.

Originally Posted By: moonerWent to my local gun shop with the intention of buying a howa then he showed me cz was coming out with one and I can tell you I've handled both the cz was worth the wait it showed up 3 weeks ago and and man is it nice and so far the thing at 100yds prints 7/8in groups of 5rds on a new gun and people tell me it's only going to get better

This swings me back to the CZ side pretty heavy. I really like the 527's, just as they come from the factory.

The Howa would need a new stock and work to get it where I wanted it, which can be fun, but also a pain. If Howa ever puts out a Mini Action with a quality stock and hinged floor plate...I just might end up with two rifles
thumbup.gif
. Until then, it looks like I'm back to where I started with the CZ.

Last edited:
im gonna vote for Howa since out of 2 CZ 17Hornets both had bad feed/mag issues...the howa went bang every time but the hogue stock was way too small for me. CZ is much better looking and fitting

Originally Posted By: greengt88im gonna vote for Howa since out of 2 CZ 17Hornets both had bad feed/mag issues...the howa went bang every time but the hogue stock was way too small for me. CZ is much better looking and fitting

The .22 Hornet and 17 Hornets don't always feed great in the CZ's because of the rim. My Hornet doesn't feed glass smooth, but it's never been an issue either. I've never had an issue with any other caliber though.

Back