K98 8mm

Bob_Atl

Some might get a kick out of this story, I know there are K98 forums but this one is special to me.
Besides, it could be used on bigger predators..

My dad brought back a Mauser K98 barreled action from WWII that was supposed to be sniper quality.
He sporterized it and put on a (neat) scope, a Weaver V8 2.5-8x 40mm, steel tube, FFP, made in Texas.
He was able to drop a moose and a mule deer with it back in the 1960s, one shot each.
It hasn't been used since, until this week.

Wanted to see if it could still shoot.
Took it to the range and put some old non-mil factory ammo through it, after some zeroing at 50 yards, did this group at 100.

1679.jpg

The FFP reticle in the scope is unusual, said to have a 10" spread at 100 yards:
1680.jpg

and elevation & windage adjustments are external to the steel scope tube:

1681.jpg

and it looks like this :

1682.jpg

ps; these images are hosted only on PM

Very nice rifle, Bob! Looks like an old Bishop stock. Used a bunch of them on 1903's and K98's in the .50's. That V8 Weaver is a nice little scope, too. I picked up one at a gun show many years ago and it sits on a HB target 10-22.

Regards,
hm

Thanks guys,,
have the dies & will start to reload for it too..

emailed my grown son same info,, he said:
"you going after big game now ??" :)

it will be all his some day (and more)

Originally Posted By: Stick895It's worthless, but I'll take it off your hands to save you!
Not a chance, this one is stay'n in da family..

That is a nice looking old gun there. Also i find that scope to be very interesting. Have you tested it much? Upper middle and lower aim points to see just how much difference there is?

Nothing like that yet.
I've read that when zoomed to 8x, the outer lines are spread by 10" at 100 yards.
I think the weak link in the scope is holding zero.
The adjustment system relies on one spring pushing up/right, with two adjusting screws pressing down and left.
The spring still works, but I notice some stickiness when adjusting more than a few clicks.

I'll know more in a couple weeks, given my back straightens out ok.
Tweaked it last week moving some heavy stuff & now I walk funny
frown.gif

I have not noticed the stickiness in mine. If it persists, I think I'd give it a short shot of aerosol silicone on the spring and "exercise" it to see if that frees it up. May be gummed up from sitting idle so long.

Regards,
hm

Back