New scope crisis, advice appreciated!

Campower

Hello gents!!

I recently finished my 16" lightweight 6.5 Grendel AR build and I need to replace the Redfield Revolution TAC currently on top of it.

I own all kind of different brand optics, but for this dedicated hunting rig I'm commited to a

The VXR has slightly thicker crosshairs than the others, but the simple little red dot is sweet for hunting. The size balances a 16" rifle just right but 7x (it's actually more like 6.5x) is on the low end for target shooting and load development especially in combination with the thicker reticle. I sold mine only because I wanted a little more magnification, but this is great for a typical short range AR setup.

The VX3i 3.5-10 is nice but a little bigger. I would pick this one if you really intend to shoot out to 400 yards. And get the CDS dial, it's just a low profile type knob. I use the standard 1/4 moa caps but you can get a free custom engraved cap for your load if you want.

I've read the same thing regarding the vxr reticle. The xv2-2-7 cds comes with a "wind plex" reticle.. anyone actually eyed a scope with this one? Looks very thick on the website but I know the online pictures can be very misleading.

If not for the size of the vx3i it would be an easy desicion... I guess it really boils down to the vx2-2-7x33 vs the 3.5-10x40 vx3i..

If that wind plex reticle was fine enough I wouldn't have an issue taking a 7x out to 400 yards... I've shot this Grendel out to 810 yards with NO drama using the Redfield Revolution TAC, however the exposed turrets are VERY easy to bump and I've found it tracks a little less than perfect. Whenever I come back to my zero it's always an inch or so off in some direction..

Or a VX3i 2.5-8x36 for under $399? You could always send it in for the CDS dial for under $100, if you wanted.

Pretty sure the VXR and VX2 models are available with several different reticles from different retailers, but I'd stay clear of the thicker wind plex.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGOr a VX3i 2.5-8x36 for under $399? You could always send it in for the CDS dial for under $100, if you wanted.

Pretty sure the VXR and VX2 models are available with several different reticles from different retailers, but I'd stay clear of the thicker wind plex.

So you have looked through a wind plex and can confirm that it is a thicker reticle?

Originally Posted By: reddog964I wouldn't over look the Mark AR Mod 1 3x9-40 either!

The Redfield Revolution TAC 3-9 I'm currently using on that rifle is the exact same except in MOA instead of mild. Great scope for the money though!

I always go for the thinner crosshairs. I like target shooting when I'm waiting for yote season to start up and the thicker crosshairs just don't cut it.

Leupold has illuminated and non illuminated reticles depending on which scope you buy. The illuminated versions have wider reticles, and the non illuminated are noticibly thinner. If this is to be used primarily for hunting I would chose the thicker reticle because it is easier to see when the background is messy. If you target shoot and hunt long range more often, the finer reticle might suit you better. I have several of these reticles in both the VX-6 and the VX-3i my favorite for hunting is the fire dot duplex. My favorite for target or long range is the varmint hunter non illuminated also the wind plex reticle would not be bad in the non illuminated version. Both reticles fat or thin can be used effectively for all around shooting and hunting, but they really shine when used for a specific purpose.

I did a build and tried to keep it lite so went with a vx2 3x9 cds. I like the scope but it does not have side focus but I would get sf on it next time as my eyes aren't as good as they were and I cant get a good clear picture at longer distance. Parallax is set for 150 yds and it is crystal clear at that distance.

Back