Average coyote dimensions?

DAL

How big, on average, are coyotes from the bottom of the chest to the shoulder, from foot to shoulder, and chest to rump? I'm trying to get an idea so I can use my scope's reticle for approximate ranging. Thanks.
DAL

In Idaho most coyotes measurements, averaged 9" girth and 18" from feet to top of back ( western coyote). Thats with the fur on. I did these measurements, all last year /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif GENE'O

I also apply the scope for ranging hard tgts. mostly. Reticle ranging will be better than guessing at any range but will be limited to 400-500 yds. with fair accuracy due to the slight variation in tgt. size for game, and a few other factors. I base the ranging on a modification of the mil-ranging formula that's about as good a system as i've ever seen. Here's the formula--

tgt. size (inches) x range of reticle subtension measurement (usually 100 yds.) / reticle subtension (inches) / quantity of "gap" tgt. occupies (tenths of total gap) = range (yds.)

I use the back-brisket measurement since it's the profile that's the easiest and most often seen (11" for the avg. adult). Here's the ranging chart for say the plex reticle in my 4-12X Burris Compact scope that measures 5.7" @ 100 yds. plex post tip to plex post tip @ 12X--

11 x 100 / 5.7 / 1.0 (coyote gaps perfectly between x-hair and post tip @ 1 complete "unit") = 192 yds.

11x100/5.7/0.9=215
0.8=240
0.7=275
.6=320
.5 (x-hair) = 385
.4=480

.5 is really about as far as i can go with this reticle subtension/magnification since there's now 100 yds. variation with only .1 variation in that reticle's stadia unit relative to tgt. size.

Here's what my range sticker looks like--

.8-240
.7-275
.6-320
.5-385

I don't include 1.0 and .9 since that's within the point blank range of my load for this rig, and i'm a firm believer in economy of info on a range sticker. This info goes on my scope's objective cap covers. Downrange zeroing goes inside the ocular's cover.

In my research i've found this to be the most accurate and fastest system of reticle-ranging that i've seen.

Hope this helps.

Coyote dimensions are usually way over estimated in my opinion. Anyone who takes the time to peel the hide off a coyote,and actually measure the depth of girth will be quite surprised. There's just not much there, Ive heard wild estimations on these boards over the years, that more closely relate to a wolf than a coyote. When the animal has three ianches of fur and guard hair around it, they can look mighty big, but I would hazzard the average western coyote is maybe five inches deep from top of shoulder to bottom of chest, and three and a half inches wide....there's not a whole lot to the chest of an average coyote.

Chili has it right.

Look in the archives for the "Shooting radius of a coyote" thread in January of 07.

A pro wolfer friend of mine measured many coyotes in the Interior of British Columbia, especially big ones. He never measured one more than 7 inches deep in the chest kill zone when skinned. Many small coyotes measured 4 inches or less. Remove the hair and there's not much to shoot at. Interior B.C. coyotes seem to averge larger to me than coyotes in Southern California. Not sure how they compare to other places.

That's true for a skinned coyote, but for rangefinding purposes you're talking about a typically well-furred critter during the winter. Tgt. size itself is of course much smaller, as any skinner well knows.

The numbers I use for ranging using a reticle on the western coyotes we have around here are 18" from ground to shoulder, and 9" brisket to top of shoulder. That is a good average. Some big old males you can add an inch or two to those numbers. Obviously that is "fur on" or what you would see in the scope.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnothow in the world did you find this 10 year old thread doubleck? lol

LOL. Setting up the new Geovids and did a google search. This old baby showed up.

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnothow in the world did you find this 10 year old thread doubleck? lol

LOL. Setting up the new Geovids and did a google search. This old baby showed up.

You crack me up, Craig.
Didn't waste anytime on the new Geovids, did you. (Grin)

This look about right for ranging/sighting purposes?

Only good for ranging. To know a kill zone surface area is what Chilli said. Skin them and you need to think on broadside bacck to bottom of chest is 4inches tops! Frontal shot is only 3.5inches wide! You better have that rifle sighted in tight or you have an unretrieved overwhelming amount of Coyote shot survivors.

Back