NRA Question

larr

Has anyone emailed the nra a question and heard back from them? They email me at least 6 times a week wanting money, but they cant email an answer to my questions. Chatted with them on messenger only to be told that they couldn't answer my questions but if I emailed them they could, after telling them that I emailed them and got no response. What kind of BS is that? Has anyone else had this problem?

I have always wanted to support the NRA, but they won't stop calling. The last call they were after me to sign up for 5 years rather than the one I usually sign up for. The guy wouldn't get off my case. He wouldn't let me just sign up for one year, and I wouldn't sign up for 5 years. They ended up with nothing.
I STILL GET LETTERS AND E-MAILS. I DECIDED I DIDN'T NEED A LAND LINE ANY MORE AND HAD IT DISCONNECTED. SO FAR THEY HAVEN'T FOUND MY CELL PHONE NUMBER. BILL COLLECTORS CANNOT BE ANY WORSE!
The bad part is I agree with most of what they are working for and would like to be a member. But, their mail goes straight to the waste basket, their unopenned e-mails are deleted.
I won't even mind talking to them on the phone once in awhile, but they operate off a script and won't discuss anything but what they called about, which usually a request for money.

Call Members Service 800-672-3888, tell them what you told us and ask to be taken off the solicitation list. I suspect they use commercial call centers and those guys do a lot more harm than good.

Regards,
hm

I don't care about the mail and phone calls asking for money, but I'll be damned if I'm giving them any money if they can't even communicate with me on what they are doing for my state!

Originally Posted By: larrI don't care about the mail and phone calls asking for money, but I'll be damned if I'm giving them any money if they can't even communicate with me on what they are doing for my state!

Might try Maryland State Rifle & Pistol Assn; most NRA efforts conducted within the various states are coordinated with/through their affiliated state associations.

Regards,
hm

Thanks hm, I appreciate the link but my point is what good is it to be a member of an organization and trying to help that organization if they won't communicate with you? Why should I have to look at another organization for info for the one I'm a member of? I sent 5 emails once a week for 5 weeks and the only response I got was a automated email that stated "Thank you for your inquiry to the National Rifle Association. A representative will contact you directly" Well that never happened, but I get at least 2 emails a day from them wanting money. I hope you see why I'm getting very disappointed in the NRA.

I understand why that would upset you. No one likes to be ignored when trying to get answers.

Reason I suggested your state RA, is that I can usually get quicker answers from TSRA when it comes to Texas issues. Usually, the smaller the organization, the more responsive they are and state assns. usually have an NRA liaison officer.

I'd give the NRA-ILA a call @ 800-392-8683, tell them your concerns and ask to speak to a supervisor. Ask the name of the party you are speaking to at each step until satisfied; I've found with any organization, when I have the name of contact they seem to be much more responsive.
wink.gif

Regards,
hm

Odd. The one time I emailed member services about a Lifetime Member gift (wrong size), I got a prompt reply and good service.

I don't get very much email or phone traffic either, despite donating to ILA and PVF regularly.

I feel the NRA is a good organization and believe in most of the things they are trying to do. The frequent e-mails telling what was going on in the gun world weren't the problem. The US mail was also okay, I am going to the mail box anyway.
The telephone calls were a big deal. No matter who answers the phone they ask for me by name, so I have to come in the house to talk regardless of what I am doing. They calls usually start with them saying something like "hey, buddy," then comes the script for whatever they are pushing. Any attempt on my part to end the conversation results in some kind of statement attempting to make me feel guilty. Many calls don't have the NRA listed on the caller I D on the phone. So after being gone and returning a call I missed, I find that I am once again listing to a new sales pitch. The caller ID could show the call is from also anywhere.

As I mentioned above, I believe the NRA uses commercial phone solicitors (or maybe volunteers?). These guys (at least the commercial ones) are trying to meet a quota and most are high pressure. Nothing turns me (and most others) 0ff. Once in a while, when I expect an important call, I mistakenly answer such calls, I politely turn them down and if they persist, hang up on them.

My answering machine is set up with the following message:

G'day mate, anonymous phone calls are not answered at this number. Please leave your name and phone number at the tone to receive a call back.

That simple message has reduced my nuisance calls by probably 80% as most hang up after first sentence.

Works for me.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

if you want to talk to the NRA, you need to call the NRA.

the ones that call you are an outside company contracted to do the fund raising. They simply have no power or ability to deal with such questions.

[beeep], looks like PB got me now LOL. My avatar is gone.

I didn't think it was linked to PB, I thought I had uploaded it locally. Guess not.

I hate to say that I have had the exact same interaction with the NRA. I am all for supporting them but they do NOT return or answer emails.

I will continue to support them as they are the strongest resistance to the anti's that we have but it does not make me happy to never hear from them EXCEPT when they want to push a fund raiser.

the bigger gripe I hear is about the fund raising.

I see it as a catch 22, it costs to do all the stuff we do & most of it, dues are not used for it. in fact, not even allowed to be used. so we have to raise the money.

at the same time it can get to be too much, too often & too annoying. but you can call them & ask to be removed from the call lists.

and you can always say no & hang up.

^^^^^^Spot on.
NRA is closely monitored by IRS, especially when the Dems are in office. Dues cannot be used for political purposes, thus the NRA-ILA and their incessant fund raising.

I worked as a volunteer for a number of years at area gun shows recruiting new members. The number one complaint I heard was about the never ending phone and mail solicitation for funds, so I relayed message to HQ. I was told that it was cheaper to make a (bulk) mailing to ALL members than to sort out those who had recently contributed. Their suggestion was to call 800-392-8683 and ask to be removed from the list or, simply disregard the requests. I know it works, because both my wife and I are benefactor members and we got a double dose of the mailers until I called and had one name removed from the list.

Don't know what the solution is for phone solicitors, other than caller ID. I just don't answer ANY anonymous phone calls.

You can rest assured that if it were not for NRA and a few other legitimate gun owner groups, your 2nd Amendment rights would not look anything like they do today and that takes membership numbers and money, as Stu said.

Regards,
hm

That is just lazy on their behalf and costing them members

Its nothing to mark those that have donated in the past quarter, They could add a field to their database of members for date of last donations.

Then when they print off the list, or most likely run the query for the database to send in electronic version for the printing company, they can exclude anyone that has donated within 30-90 days. It would take a few minutes to update the query or report to do this.

I know i am not the only one, but after the harrassment, the asking to be removed, the continued calls.. I also had times where there were things going on in AZ, and was emailing why they were not getting involved, got no response..

Well, i hate to say it, but i let the membership expire and give the money to a AZ group. As donations, not members. TO get around the IRS rules.
From time to time, i do donations to NRA when i see them doing things i like, but won't sign up again. I would rather donate, so they can use it, and not get all the phone calls. The mail just gets tossed.

it actually doesn't cost them or the members anything. the marketing companies get paid on what they produce & it's up to them what they want to spend to do it.

Originally Posted By: hm1996I understand why that would upset you. No one likes to be ignored when trying to get answers.

Reason I suggested your state RA, is that I can usually get quicker answers from TSRA when it comes to Texas issues. Usually, the smaller the organization, the more responsive they are and state assns. usually have an NRA liaison officer.

I'd give the NRA-ILA a call @ 800-392-8683, tell them your concerns and ask to speak to a supervisor. Ask the name of the party you are speaking to at each step until satisfied; I've found with any organization, when I have the name of contact they seem to be much more responsive.
wink.gif

Regards,
hm

Well, I tried your advise hm but I'm through with the nra! I called and ask my question and was told to go to their website to find out!! Then I asked her for her name and she said Anna, I ask to talk to a supervisor and she told me that it was against the guidelines that were set up!!! So I told her to take me off all of their mailing lists including email and phone list. If that's how the nra wants to treat its members they can kiss my AZZ. I've been a life member since 1990, but if they think that I'm going to give them a dime of my money after today they must be crazy!!!!. Im thinking the nra are money and power hungry, I believe they forgot what they truly stand for!

One had to be a bit realistic about how such large organizations work. You have a question, what was it? Do you really expect some call center operator making $12 am hour to answer it? Is even a call centre supervisor in a position to do that? The website has the approved position on common issues. It actually makes sense to refer you there.

The fear mongering and fundraising annoys me, but this is the best game we have in town. Don't answer the phone, shred the mail, and turn the page, but don't cut off your nose to spite the face.

Last edited:
Back