Recommendations on New Ar 15 Barrel?

Rusty Black

Im thinking about replacing the factory barrel on my db15, I'm running a 16 inch 1:9 twist and shooting 55gr vmax to 69 gr sierra match kings,I want a better barrel for coyotes up to 300 yards... length and barrel recommendations?

I just purchased a 16.5" patriot ordinance with 5.56 match chamber and 5r rifling for my build. Ive heard nothing but good about them.

Armalight has a 3 gun barrel. 18" 2lbs. 2oz. 1/8 twist. $180.00. There sponsored shooter using it. An individual with whom I hold in high regard that works there said it is an excellent barrel and very accurate. I just ordered one last week. 16" should be good easily at that range but I like the 18" for my coyote rifles. I hunt almost exclusively at night.

Last edited:
18in 1:8, stainless is the way to go. Yes, a 16in can and will get the job done, but the 1:8 18in combo shoots sweet at those ranges.

Ive been happy with AR15 Performance.
Between 5 6.8 and 4 223 barrels i have no complaints.

Ive used this one on a few coyotes and love it.
http://ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/38007/12239
50gr Nosler BT and 53gr Vmax shoot good
To stretch it out i single load 80gr Bergers for 1000 yards and 73gr ELDM's for 600 yards.

I used this one for a couple years for deer hunting and deer depredations
http://ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/38007/48676
52gr Amax during the summer and 77gr TMK during the winter.

Next is a 12.5" 223 barrel from him.

20" black hole standard or light weight. you need all the speed you can get from a 223 its low powered in the coyote put down department. 50 grain blitz kings at 3350 fps or more is my recipe. it works but its not 22-250 or 243 in smack down.

I also bought a Faxon for my SPR build. It's their 18" heavy fluted mid-gas 1:8 5.56. The first 3 shots were in a cloverleaf touching. Very impressed for the price.

20" .264 LBC 3P BHW Barrel Rifle Length Gas.S/S. 1/8" twist. Threaded. Ordered from Ritch with matching bolt. Am VERY pleased with the accuracy. Have yet to put a coyote down. Too hot to hunt right now.

Originally Posted By: yotekiller4720" .264 LBC 3P BHW Barrel Rifle Length Gas.S/S. 1/8" twist. Threaded. Ordered from Ritch with matching bolt. Am VERY pleased with the accuracy. Have yet to put a coyote down. Too hot to hunt right now. We're not hunting them right now....your right way to hott...we'll start hunting sometime in August...but not really putting the effort until later in the fall..

Ok two questions do you reload and are you stuck on a 223? There are some better calipers out there that will shoot flatter and hit harder.

Lots of good affordable barrels out there... I've been quite pleased with barrels from WOA, BHW, and even DEZ Arms.

For the $$, the WOA and BHW are hard to beat.

Originally Posted By: zr600Ok two questions do you reload and are you stuck on a 223? There are some better calipers out there that will shoot flatter and hit harder. yes I do reload and would like to stick with 223/556

Ok then I guess pick a barrel that your most comfortable buying I recommend BHW barrels from Ritch mine shoots great it's a 6x6.8 though. I would try and load 53g vmaxes I guess and see what happens.

Originally Posted By: zr600Ok then I guess pick a barrel that your most comfortable buying I recommend BHW barrels from Ritch mine shoots great it's a 6x6.8 though. I would try and load 53g vmaxes I guess and see what happens. Ok thankyou for the responces and zr,I'll try the 53 grainers...t/th

Last edited:
Back