Went on my first p-dog shoot!

Number10GI

Sorry no pictures of blood and guts, maybe the next time I shoot. I'll be 70 next month and finally did something on my bucket list and really had a good time. Shot on three different ranches located between Chadron and Alliance, Nebraska. Got in four days of shooting but it took me the first day to figure what to look for to locate the little suckers before I could shoot them. Didn't have any shots within 100 yards, most being between 200 and 400 yards with 25 to 35 MPH winds. Really messed with the light .223 bullets. Two of the ranches had dog towns that had been hunted a bit and they were pretty wary of us. Had to wait quite a bit for them to show after they were shot at the first couple days. On day 3 we got to a town that was decent but the winds made it a challenge, however the dogs were more accommodating. The last day we shot on a town that hadn't been hunted before and we had a blast. Sent many a dog to the big town in the sky. I took a .243 also but the recoil jumped off target so much I couldn't see if I hit my target or not and had a time getting back into the area where I was shooting. Should have had my partner spot for me and give me corrections on my shots or verify if I hit the dog. Ah, but there is always next year.

Congrats on surviving your first prairie dog hunt. Sure tickled that a good time was had by all.

I was in my 50's before I went on my first one. I did not miss another one for years. I did not get to to this year due to some other hunts that I had scheduled but I will NOT miss going next year God willing. I love shooting our local ground squirrels and it is also great fun going down to Nevada and shooting the big fat ones that they have. But my prairie dog hunts in Wyoming are the best of them all. At age 65 I dont know how many hunts that I can go on but for sure I plan on going on as many more as I can. As you found out they are just too much fun.

Congratulations on a great hunt my Dad is 66 and got hooked last year and now plans on going every year until he can't anymore.

I definitely plan on going next year but not sure if the rest of the guys I went with this time will go again. They are talking about doing some hog hunting but I'm too arthritic to go stomping around the woods looking for a pig.

Thanks for posting. I'm wanting to go out west for a PD shoot as well. How long of a drive is it to where you went this time??

Originally Posted By: jpx2rkThanks for posting. I'm wanting to go out west for a PD shoot as well. How long of a drive is it to where you went this time??

From my house to where we shot is approximately 1,150 miles. A bit of a drive but an easy trip when you divide it up in two equal days of driving and have multiple drivers.

I started shooting prairie dogs when I was twenty years old and was able to lay on an old carpet scrap for hours. That was forty years ago and we have moved up to portable benches that have seen years of use and enjoyment,now we shoot for the satisfaction of small targets at long range and not the sheer number of kills.That being said there is nothing else that sounds the same as the thwap a v-max makes at two hundred yards on a fat one.I hope to keep doing this for years to come.

Number10GI--Two days of driving doesn't sound like much fun, but it was great to read that you had some darn good action your last day. That will bring you back again next year. Remember to take photos and share with us next time you go out.

I am fortunate in that I have a few prairie dog towns I can shoot on within 40 miles of my home and the furthest I have driven the last 5 or 6 years is 86 miles. Thanks for the report.

Originally Posted By: Number10GIOriginally Posted By: jpx2rkThanks for posting. I'm wanting to go out west for a PD shoot as well. How long of a drive is it to where you went this time??

From my house to where we shot is approximately 1,150 miles. A bit of a drive but an easy trip when you divide it up in two equal days of driving and have multiple drivers.

Not too bad. I would just need to add another 400 round trip for that, so not as bad (distance wise) as going to MT, etc.,

Back