Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Topic Options
#3055631 - 03/15/17 05:58 PM What price would it take for you to put up the fur?
Tbone-AZ Offline
PM senior

Loc: AZ, Phoenix
I saw some comments on the long range shooters thread, and was thinking about how some say they skin and sell the hides. Others use a cannon cause they don't skin them.

That brings up a question about what price do hides need to be for you to start skinning the coyotes?

I personally don't want to skin a coyote if I am fairly sure that I won't get at least $15 and I really would like $20 or more.

That is just thinking about how long it takes to skin them, store, flesh, sew, wash, clean, and stretch and brush. Not to mention going to the buyer and hoping that you can average enough that it was worth it.

I find that it takes me 1 hour total from start to finish avg to put up a hide.

How about you?

#3055660 - 03/15/17 07:08 PM Re: What price would it take for you to put up the fur? [Re: Tbone-AZ]
AWS Online
Die Hard Member III

Loc: WA
I never shoot them without skinning unless they are a mess. Even down south in AZ and NM I skin them and tan them when they are prime, tourist buy them tanned for $60, make them into snowmobile mitts, a vest or throw and you can make money at it.

Even if you don't want to market them yourself, $5. at auction is $5. more than you have leaving them on the ground and putting them up will keep you out of the bars and not in front of the tube.

Make mine a Minaska.

#3055663 - 03/15/17 07:14 PM Re: What price would it take for you to put up the fur? [Re: Tbone-AZ]
SlickerThanSnot Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: stuck in a fence
takes a minimum of $30 average for me to put in the work.

but it takes me more than an hour from start to finishing a coyote hide i am proud to let a fur buyer look at. quite a bit more than an hour. lol

#3055666 - 03/15/17 07:36 PM Re: What price would it take for you to put up the fur? [Re: Tbone-AZ]
crittr gittr Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: UTAH
I get 50 bucks each and all I do is have the scalp with both ears and the bottom jaw. tt2

#3056224 - 03/17/17 03:21 PM Re: What price would it take for you to put up the fur? [Re: Tbone-AZ]
Tbone-AZ Offline
PM senior

ha, nice.. Course, i could see how getting that jaw off is a pain, unless you just use a hatchet and take the whole head.

#3056226 - 03/17/17 03:24 PM Re: What price would it take for you to put up the fur? [Re: AWS]
Tbone-AZ Offline
PM senior

Originally Posted By: AWS
I never shoot them without skinning unless they are a mess. Even down south in AZ and NM I skin them and tan them when they are prime, tourist buy them tanned for $60, make them into snowmobile mitts, a vest or throw and you can make money at it.

Even if you don't want to market them yourself, $5. at auction is $5. more than you have leaving them on the ground and putting them up will keep you out of the bars and not in front of the tube.

I got a sewing machine a few years ago that would let me sew hides together for a blanket, and one day when i am not so busy i want to make some throw blankets out of the better pelts. But, i don't have a place to store hides, and don't want to send in a pile to be tanned until i am ready. I have learned that lesson with buying lumber, and hardware. Buying in advance for a future project starts to look more like a hoarder than someone with projects lined up.

I applaud you for the effort, I just don't want to do it if i can't get more for my time. Otherwise i could have done something else with that time.

Thanks for sharing.

#3080067 - 07/10/17 11:17 AM Re: What price would it take for you to put up the fur? [Re: Tbone-AZ]
dozer_xj Online

Loc: South Central IL
I am in South Central IL and I have been asking around and most people get $7-$30. I can make about $20 an hour working on peoples cars so I would need to make at least that to make it worth my time. I don't do it mostly because I do not have the knowledge, tools, or place to do it.

I would rather a fawn eater have a 4" hole in it and be dead right there than be worried about the hide.

#3080152 - 07/10/17 04:42 PM Re: What price would it take for you to put up the fur? [Re: Tbone-AZ]
varminter .223 Online
Die Hard Member

Loc: south central Illinois
I go to work to make money so I can spend it on killing coyotes......Gonna have to be a big price jump for me to skin one;}
I haul mine down to the local taxidermist and throw em out. He can make that money lol!

Edited by varminter .223 (07/10/17 04:44 PM)

#3080157 - 07/10/17 05:07 PM Re: What price would it take for you to put up the fur? [Re: Tbone-AZ]
Tbone-AZ Offline
PM senior

i may not skin them if i don't think i can get $20 for each, given how long it takes me to put up.

But, i would be a big advocate for learning and having at least the basic gear. (a couple of stretchers, fleshing knife, a few small pearing type knives, apron, fleshing beam, sewing needles and floss, fur brush, and fur thumb tacks.

I say this from the stand point that it would be a good idea to learn. Try preparing 10 or so to start to get the basics. I don't mind messing up a coyote pelt. I would almost cry if i messed up a bobcat pelt. So, learn on a low cost coyote pelt, in case the prices go shooting up, or you get a bobcat or fox pelt worth some money. I wouldn't want to be learning how if the pelts all of a sudden started to sell of $100 instead of $20.

Forum Stats
54418 Members
87 Forums
325467 Topics
3065236 Posts

Max Online: 4372 @ 01/25/15 10:27 PM
Today's Birthdays
BiggMayn, brdeano, Courtgus, Foxman14, huntyotes, JW Stevens, lewis, NEYOTEMAN, rainshadow1, Rossier450r, simon_445, slack
© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.