22mag, 222 or 22 Hornet?

IMO, I would also put the .223 on my list for many, many reasons. They shoot great, good factory ammo like Fiocchi is dirt cheap, reloading components are everywhere cheap, so many different barrel twists to shoot the weight bullets you like, etc. etc. etc. You can load it up, down, or in-between. Tons of options.

I bought a .223 Remington M7 Predator for $499 NIB for about the same reason as you. It's my "drive around the ranch gun" & I didn't even bother loading for it. I bought 40 grain Fiocchi ammo for $0.45 per round & 50 grain tipped AE for $0.50 per round and both will shoot 3 rounds that you can cover with a nickel. That's after putting in a 1.5# trigger. My buddy loads his 223 down to less than 222 velocities & it's quite & sub 1/2 moa. Just A thought.

Jim D

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: orkan.223AI.

It's about as happy as little 22cal's get.

Very true but the little triple deuce is sooooooo cool.

I have a 222 in a old 700 adl from a Uncle who passed, mainly a safe queen. When I do take it to range every couple years, it still retains zero well with a old school Weaver scope from 30 years ago.I used to take I'd prairie dogging way back then. It's just a great gun with family ties that shoots great.
I just added a 22 hornet for a lesser size to skip past the 22 mag level for impact, that said I didn't have any shots the couple times I have carried it. ( a few too many choice in the safe)
It is very quiet with the suppressor, so will be a close to town/ houses ,type of gun to keep things quiet , and for some fox we are planning on for this winter.

We just had an older Sako come into the shop the other day in 222 Mag. I had no clue there even was a 222 Mag, but then I have more to learn than what I have to offer.

Originally Posted By: TheBig1We just had an older Sako come into the shop the other day in 222 Mag. I had no clue there even was a 222 Mag, but then I have more to learn than what I have to offer.

Neck a 222 Mag down to .204 and what do ya have?
(Hint: Ruger)

If the OP is a reloader, he can load the .222 to perform at .22 hornet or .22 Mag velocities. If I were to only have one of the three, it would be the .222 and I would buy Prvi Partizen ammo for about $10/20 rounds. That is as cheap as a .223 to shoot. I am looking for a Contender Carbine barrel in .222 just because I don't have one.

DannoBoone

Neck a 222 Rem Mag down to 204 and you have a 20-222RM, neck a 204 Ruger up to 224 and you have a 222 Rem Mag Improved 30 degree. The 204 case is an improved version of the 222 RM with a 30 degree shoulder moved forward and the body slightly straightened. I've been shooting 204 Ruger Wildcats since the cartridge came out, with the 22-204(222 RM Improved), 6mm-204(6x47Rem Improved) and a 25-204(257 Kimber clone with no fire forming) in rifles I use.

The 222 Rem is a special cartridge to me, it has been superbly accurate in every type of weapon I've used it in, even my combo gun 12ga/222R was a sub MOA shooter, an old Stevens 840 I had would out shoot many customs, and my Stevens 200 in 222Rem won the egg shoot last year.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys. Went to Gander Mountain today in Knoxville and scored a H&R Handi-rifle Ultra Varmint .223. $264. Bought a Bushnell banner scope to put on it. Now all I need is some rings and some hunting ammo! BTW Gander Mountain is having a huge sale right now if you guys need stuff.

Originally Posted By: ClintKYscored .223.

smile.gif
I guess someone should have suggested that... Funny.

Originally Posted By: ClintKYHard to pass up with the ammo available and all. I think it will suit my needs for now for sure.

Nothing at all wrong with the 223Rem. I think everybody ought to have at least one. If you had listed that in your list from the beginning as an option, it would have been recommended highly.

I have a Remington 722 in the 222 caliber and it is one of the best shooting and most accurate rifles in my safe. I load the 40 gr Nosler BT and have been shooting that bullet in it for years.
I am wanting to work up the Barnes 36 gr Varmint Grenade for it but just have not had the time to do it yet. It is a great little caliber out to about 250 yards and you will not go wrong picking one up.

Originally Posted By: huntschoolHope you can live with the trigger on the Handi.....

Shoot well....

It is a little heavy. For me I'll probably never take a shot out to a 100 yards so hopefully it won't be to much of a problem. Really appreciate all the help and knowledge on this forum!

Originally Posted By: coleridgeOriginally Posted By: ClintKYHard to pass up with the ammo available and all. I think it will suit my needs for now for sure.

Nothing at all wrong with the 223Rem. I think everybody ought to have at least one. If you had listed that in your list from the beginning as an option, it would have been recommended highly.

Agreed. After all the research I decide I needed a more common caliber. I wanted to be cool and different but my wallet says otherwise lol.

Originally Posted By: WyoBullI have a Remington 722 in the 222 caliber and it is one of the best shooting and most accurate rifles in my safe. I load the 40 gr Nosler BT and have been shooting that bullet in it for years.
I am wanting to work up the Barnes 36 gr Varmint Grenade for it but just have not had the time to do it yet. It is a great little caliber out to about 250 yards and you will not go wrong picking one up.

Agreed.... I had started to look around for 22 Hornet and stumbled onto a 722 in 222. After repeatedly getting 1 hole groups at 100 and 200 yds with Fiocchi 50 gr VMax ammo, I stopped thinking about a 22 Hornet and the 223 stays in the gun room.

The recoil is so light that my 8 year old shoots it with ease. He even shoot a 3 shot group at 100 yds with all three touching.

At 250 yds or less, it is death to groundhogs everytime.

Back