Predator Hunting Leases in Texas?

-HIC-

Hi all, I have been hunting coyotes on my deer lease at night and have really enjoyed it. However, there are just not many to be had around my place.

Anyone in Texas know of Predator only leases, or similar? I don't need another deer lease, unless it is great and cheap! Just looking for some ideas or leads on what you all do for land access?

Originally Posted By: TJT3I pray this never happens in our state. Deer hunting $$$ has already ruined enough hunting opportunities.

I couldn't agree more.

Do it the old fashioned way and knock on doors, talk to farmers and landowners. Waving $ around shouldn't be a part of any hunting unless it for a guide

Texas has become a high dollar, pay to play, kind of state. At least for deer in south TX and the hill country. My cousin and I have leased around 400 acres for bow/rifle hunting for a very long time at a very low cost around Fredericksburg. The problem is most of that land has been brush cut for cattle/sheep, etc. We have been successful in calling in a few coyotes, but the signs indicate they are just not abundant. Our land owner runs cattle, goats and trophy sheep that he sells to the high fence kinds of trophy ranches. Needless to say part of our deal is that we will not pass on predators even during deer season. We are not trophy hunters and for me the predator calling, specifically at night, has been very enjoyable time spent in the woods! I think from now own I will be taking a few deer during bow season for yearly meat and then trying to find places to hunt predators the rest of the year! Thanks for the look at this thread and the recommendations. I am just getting started and the knowledge on this board is impressive! I will get with our land owner to see if he has any leads on folks that just want the predators gone!

Nothing wrong with paying for a lease, we actually do it every year for tribal ground to run cattle on.

Originally Posted By: West.Mass.HunterOriginally Posted By: TJT3I pray this never happens in our state. Deer hunting $$$ has already ruined enough hunting opportunities.

I couldn't agree more.

Do it the old fashioned way and knock on doors, talk to farmers and landowners. Waving $ around shouldn't be a part of any hunting unless it for a guide

I also wouldn't say the above, because it's also created much more opportunities than just a few hunters.

In today's society of lawsuits, and lawyers, letting some stranger hunt on your property for free is crazy. Trip on a rock, fall and break your arm, guess who has to pay the bill, me. Don't forget rehabilitation, pain and suffering. My lawyer bills, if I choose to fight it or not.

I'm more inclined to get permission from a neighbor or friend, or one of their friends, than to cold call or knock on a door. Kill a problem coyote, or even a coon, for a neighbor, and word will get around.

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesIn today's society of lawsuits, and lawyers, letting some stranger hunt on your property for free is crazy. Trip on a rock, fall and break your arm, guess who has to pay the bill, me. Don't forget rehabilitation, pain and suffering. My lawyer bills, if I choose to fight it or not.

NOT TRUE!!! Plenty of landowners will let you coyote hunt on their property for free. Most folks are a pretty good judge of character. You get in with a few good landowners and treat them right and they tell their buddies. Leasing land to kill coyotes is ridicouls. As some has said "coyote hunting is the last great free hunt"

With the big money hunts like the West Texas Big Bobcat Contest I'm afraid landowners will want to start getting paid for these guys to hunt these contest on their land. It's going to be just like anything else in this world we live in. The bigger it gets it will start costing money to do. To say it's crazy to knock on a door and ask permission to hunt is ridicouls. Way more than half of my hunting land came from knocking on a door or making a phone call. Dang sure not going to pay a rancher to kill something that they already want gone.

Originally Posted By: skinneyNothing wrong with paying for a lease, we actually do it every year for tribal ground to run cattle on.

Originally Posted By: West.Mass.HunterOriginally Posted By: TJT3I pray this never happens in our state. Deer hunting $$$ has already ruined enough hunting opportunities.

I couldn't agree more.

I also wouldn't say the above, because it's also created much more opportunities than just a few hunters.

I farm for a living and with all due respect, a lease to run cattle on a property and lease for hunting are two totally different things. One is leasing to make a living and the other is for pure recreation. And will make hunting only for those with enough desposible income to make it work. With the cattle at least you make enough to afford the lease.

While I like a lot about Texas, they don't miss an opportunity to turn everything into money. Paying to shoot Coyotes isn't for me. They charge as much to shoot hogs as they do Deer. Doesn't bother me if the hogs eat everything they grow there. Have at it. And really paying to sit in a little house up on posts over a feeder isn't hunting, it's more like killing. To each their own. I prefer the way we hunt here in Newer Mexico, public draw for a good opportunity to hunt Elk, Deer, whatever big game you want to hunt. Big money doesn't help you, just the luck of the draw.

Quote: To each their own. I prefer the way we hunt here in Newer Mexico, public draw for a good opportunity to hunt Elk, Deer, whatever big game you want to hunt. Big money doesn't help you, just the luck of the draw.

Difference between public and private property. Each has it's advantages.

Regards,
hm

I wouldn't pay a land owner 5 cents for access to kill varmints (I myself have owned and operated several sections). Unfortunately there are a lot of greedy fucs in this world and equally greedy Aholes with money who have ruined hunting. I spent plenty of years in Texas and it is all about the $$$. Canned "hunts" are routine as well. But to each there own. It is a shame that people can't knock and a door and go for a walk anymore.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hm1996 Quote: To each their own. I prefer the way we hunt here in Newer Mexico, public draw for a good opportunity to hunt Elk, Deer, whatever big game you want to hunt. Big money doesn't help you, just the luck of the draw.

Difference between public and private property. Each has it's advantages.

Regards,
hm

When I was a kid I was taught if your not going to eat it don't kill it. Coyotes and other varmints where the exception, still we did not specifically hunt them because we did not eat them. I was taught to deer hunt, where we would go find a tree in an area that looked good and climbed up it and hunted, or built a ground blind on the edge of a wheat field or over watching a river crossing. But there was just something about shooting at the target of opportunity coyote that held as much excitement as antlered deer. To this day my dad still does not understand why I spend so much time chasing coyote, he just sees the benefit of them getting dead. A lot of the places I hunt the landowners feel the same way and I'm only allowed to hunt coyote there during the off season and I am very good with that.

In a lot of areas the government spends a lot of money developing wildlife management areas open to public hunting. Hunters spend a lot of money developing private land to hold a better quality and quantity of game, both methods benefit the overall population of wildlife. Yes, it is a shame that some large ranches turn it into a business to make money. I would never pay to go on any guided hunt, especially a high fence or even free range where someone takes you out and tells you to sit in this stand and watch that feeder. I would also never pay to hunt coyote anywhere, to many landowners just want them gone.

Clarence, you are correct, there is a difference between private and public land. I've never been drawn for a 3 day hunt, so I don't know anything about that. I do know that deer season on my land starts October 1st and runs until January 15th. I spend a good chunk of change and time on food plots, feeders and trail cameras. Unless it is the right deer I do not want to tag out early, for I love the experience of hunting them. I'm sure everyone's methods and tactics change the longer they hunt. I don't care If someone wants to pay to hunt coyotes or go on guided hunts, I know what I do and why I do it. When I'm out in the field, what other people are doing is the last thing on my mind.

Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76

I farm for a living and with all due respect, a lease to run cattle on a property and lease for hunting are two totally different things. One is leasing to make a living and the other is for pure recreation. And will make hunting only for those with enough desposible income to make it work. With the cattle at least you make enough to afford the lease.

I also Farm/Ranch for a living, and I didn't say a land lease for cattle was the same as a land lease for wild game, I just said there is nothing wrong it... Also, there are numerous people who make a living guiding/hunting "territories" who are paying a lease for the land they hunt and guide on, and many of them make much more money than we do raising domestics.

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762 I don't care If someone wants to pay to hunt coyotes or go on guided hunts, I know what I do and why I do it. When I'm out in the field, what other people are doing is the last thing on my mind.

The above is exactly correct, who cares... So many people are offended at the right of someone charging for goods or services. If you want to pay for a lease and have that exclusive right do it. If you want to establish a guiding service and obtain hundreds of thousands of acres, making a good living on it, do it, Shockey does... If you want to do it by knocking on doors, making calls, or just mapping out public land, do it.

An affordable lease in Fredricksburg. You found a unicorn.

Good motorcycle riding country now. The wife and I were out there in November. I went to a little dive at the end of town where the locals eat for breakfast. I am not a people person so I dont strike up many conversations in person. A guy commented on my bike and how far we were from home on it. I told everywhere that I have been on that bike and that I have two material possesions that bring me pleasure. Good guns and Harley Davidson. The conversation shifted to hunting and I told him what ranch I used to hunt and he started talking about having too many pigs in that area and not enough hog hunters. I offered to help him thin them out. I explained that I like to hunt on foot and that I would not leave a mark on his land. He told me that he wanted 350 per hog. I just replied that he should hang on to them then. I can shoot them on 20k acres and sleep in my own bed at night.

Sandy when he said $350/hog I think I would have said, "You must have a really bad hog PROBLEM, for $350/hog I'll be right out have your check book handy, this could cost YOU a lot of money".

I've trapped and killed a lot of critter in the past 70 yrs. Outsmarting educated coyotes is a just plain fun, when someone tells me "there are so many callers out there you can't call them in any more" it makes it just that much more interesting. There is so much public land out there just waiting to be called it is beyond imagination to pay to hunt. I understand that Texas has little public land so if you want to live in Texas you have to pay. Every time my wife suggests Texas as a place to retire I tell her about Texas and end the discussion.

This is why national forests and parks were created to prevent only the rich from being able to get out and enjoy the land and hunt and fish.

If someone wants to pay someone to hunt on their land. good for the rancher/farmer for finding someone willing to do so.

I wouldn't pay, there is a ranch up in northern AZ that tries this and some pay.. I don't. He doens't own the land and it's BLM land that he is charging for access. I run into ranch hands and give them a soda and talk to them. They tell me where they are having coyote issues and i go out there and take care of it. The manager has come out a couple of times and tried to run me off. But, i just respectfully tell him, i will not hunt on your property and will stay on the BLM land.

He called the fish and game once. they can't do anything since i pulled up the GPS (those hunting GPS maps are great for this) Fish and game can't do anything since i wasn't breaking the rules, and was on BLM land.

The manager got real urked about it, and i told fish and game he should have a talk about the traps i saw on state BLM land (illegal here) and he then got mad at that, since i knew he was allowing a private trapper to trap on state land. He cursed at me a bit, and then i told him that if he keeps this up, i will contact BLM and file a complaint and take it to the state board and demand that since he is trying to act like it's his land and not blm land that he should have to buy it all, or put the grazing lease up for auction again. He stormed off.

I can't stand ranchers here in AZ that lock gates to BLM land. There is tons of state land to access here. I respect they have a hard job, and work really hard. If they don't want someone on their land, then buy it, but grazing rights isn't ownership.

Amen!

I've had a couple try and run me off BLM land, one even pulled the gate and fenced it over, a call to the BLM office and the next time there was a brand new gate installed. Another tried to run me off BLM land and then found out what I was hunting and gave me permission to hunt all his deeded lands. It is not uncommon to find BLM & BLR land posted. I not only have a GPS chip but a small computer and wifi hot spot to access county assessor records and land maps to tell who the owner is, I have found a few places where there have been land swaps or sales that aren't on the chip or BLM maps. I usually map out my hunting the night before in the truck on the BLM maps and use the chip to check boundaries while hunting. I have a loose-leaf binder with all my BLM maps for each state I hunt.

Last edited:
Back