6.5 Grendel for coyotes?

g Bo

Has anyone had personal experience using a Grendel for coyotes? How many have you killed and how would you compare the damage it does compared to a 223?

Damage is all about bullet selection. grendel velocities are modest which present a lot of good choices. this is a great round for multiple species.

I killed 5 last winter with my Grendel, shooting 120 nosler. 3 of them had no exit, all were well places shots. 2 of them were running shots and not so well placed, it did tear them up a little. All of the shots were from 75 to 175 yards. I will say it anchors a coyote, I shoot suppressed and all you hear is a thump, DRT. I am trying to work up a load with 95 gr v-max, just not having the accuracy of the Noslers.

It will definitely drop a coyote more effectively than .223, but if you're goal is to save furs it probably isn't the best. It will be hit or miss whether it blows a hole in them or not. It's a very versatile round though so it's up to you.

I agree with the guys. it depends on which bullet and where/how you hit them. I typically get similar sized entry and exits with the 123gr Amax. You might try the SP's and control expansion a bit more.

But it drops them like no other.

I would love to have a Ruger #1 in the Grendel round. I think it would be great. My 6.5 Creedmoor kills them well enough but the Grendel should work nice for my wife and I as a lighter (somewhat) gun.

Last edited:
95 V-Max -- not fur friendly --
No tracking involved -- usually DRT --
Put one in encore for grandson -- really nice light carry gun with expandable stock -
Thx

Last edited:
Based off experience with a 6.5/30-30 cartridge which runs pretty well identical speeds to the Grendel, a Nosler 140 grain BT bullet going around 2500fps will leave small holes in and out and put coyotes down quickly.

To get more fur friendly results, I have started doing the opposite of what I've seen most people do. I go heavier, and slower. Heavier, slower bullets don't expand as rapidly, and will do less pelt damage. I've done this with the above cartridge, as well as a 7-30 Waters, 140gr Nosler BT or Partition running around 2600fps, and tiny holes in and out. Going to test this out with my .223 next. 70gr bullets at moderate velocities.

Back