30/40 Krag for deer and elk

Powerfisher

I just acquired a 30/40 Krag and I would like to use it as a deer and elk rifle. I was hoping to get some input from people that have actual experience with this caliber. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I had one in the 1970's, just as you described. I used 220gr Herters and 180gr Rem RN's never had one walk away. My BinL was shooting a 30-30 single shot and wanted a repeater so I gave him the Krag, funny thing he's never needed two shots to fill his tag.

My great grandfather and father-in-law both had one. Never had the chance to meet my great grandfather but was told he didn't do much tracking. Just packed out a lot of deer and elk on his horse. My father-in-law grew up in Wyoming. His complaint was you had to shot at the fence line Monday and wait until Friday to see if you hit a pronghorn. He didn't track much either.

I have some experience with one. Keep it within its intended range, for me 150 yds or so, and it will take deer down. Never tried one one elk but at close range with appropriate placement I'm sure it would be fine.

I had a great uncle who used one for whitetail deer in the UP of Michigan. That gun took down a lot of deer over the years. My uncle didn't have very good eye sight in his later years and loved the gun because the large front sight was one he could see.

Back