marlin model 60 upgrades???

chris fodge

I was fixing to jump on the 10/22 bandwagon. I just cant see it shooting any better then my model 60. I cant find any upgrades for it though. Like replacing the factory 20 trigger. Any ideas where to start? Like a stock and definatly a trigger.

Not sure if you will find many upgrades..at least like there are available for the 10/22.
I have owned a model 60 since the age of 10 (35 yrs almost)and so I`m happy with the way they are stock.
If you don`t get many replies to your question though, I have seen a site recommended called rimfirecentral and you could ask there. I never checked it out.

Marlin (when it was REALLY Marlin) made 12,000,000 model 60 rifles. My all time favorite .22 LR semi auto rifle.
smile.gif

The triggers could use a little TLC........

Unless you are swapping/upgrading barrels, your 10/22 likely won't shoot any better than your Model 60.

I don't believe there is a 'drop in' trigger replacement for Marlins, like there is for the 10/22. So in my 60SS, I installed a DIP target trigger shoe and polished up the internals to get most of the slop out of the mating surfaces. That little 60SS always shot acceptably, but now it's just a bit more enjoyable to pull the trigger on it...

RFC is your friend!

Boyd's has some nice thumbholes for them occasionally. Mine has a plastic one piece trigger assembly with guard. Not sure what you can do to tune that up. I found going light on the grease is the trick to running them smooth. Marlin 60's are hateful squirrel killers and will run with a stock 10/22 as mentioned for less money.

The 60 outshoots teh 10/22 out of the box. 10/22 if for tinkering, marlin is for shooting.

How about bedding the action? Never done it to a model 60 not sure how it works with the tube feed but glass bedding has helped every rifle I have ever done.

Like others have said RFC is the place to read up.

Last edited:
This might be a old thread but my first gun was a 60. And yes RF central will help you on the trigger. I really like all of the ones i have had! I think these are nice little guns for the money!

I have always had a mod 60. I got my first one when i was in the 4th grade. I really like those little rifles!! There is several cos. now making triggers and trigger parts for them. As others have said you can find out more on rimfire central.

Back