.17 Winchester Super Magnum (WSM)

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiMy brother bought one, a Salvage. It was a POS. He couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I'll wait until CZ does one.

Hey man these Savage guys are very sensitive around these boards, just so you know.

Originally Posted By: Bad DawgOriginally Posted By: CoyotejunkiMy brother bought one, a Salvage. It was a POS. He couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I'll wait until CZ does one.

Hey man these Savage guys are very sensitive around these boards, just so you know.

Oh, make no mistake, I'm no particular fan of Savage firearms, even though I own three of their rimfires. I bought my 93/17 HMR long before I ever knew anything about the CZ's. The A17 with the Butler creek 25rnd mags is just to much fun not to own and when I bought my 17 WSM the Bmag was pretty much the only option. There are a few things on it I think are rather retarded but they're livable and that darn thing shoots really well so I can't complain to much.

I actually feel bad for the Ruger 77/17 WSM guys because even though those Rugers feel much more like a real gun without the oddities the Bmag has, they cost twice as much, need a trigger job or complete replacement right out of the box and generally only shoot on par with the HB Bmags. Oh, and did I mention they generally shoot the same ammo slower, too.
ohmy.gif

And if you're waiting for CZ to make a 17 WSM, you could be waiting awhile because the last time I contacted them to ask if they had plans to market a 17 WSM, they told me they have no interest in building one so you could be waiting for quite awhile.
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
I wish CZ would make one. I love my 455 and 527 Varmint.

Yeah, Ruger triggers do suck. I was arguing with a couple people on a different site about that. I don't know why they can't improve their triggers. Maybe they think it's a liability? I'm not sure.

Originally Posted By: Bad DawgI wish CZ would make one. I love my 455 and 527 Varmint.

Yeah, Ruger triggers do suck. I was arguing with a couple people on a different site about that. I don't know why they can't improve their triggers. Maybe they think it's a liability? I'm not sure.

IMO, the trigger on the little 527's is excellent and can be tuned down to as low as you want. I've tuned the trigger in both my CZ 527's down to 8-10oz and they brake like glass I don't even mess with the set trigger in them. I put a VQ trigger kit in my dad's Ruger 77/17 HMR and it made a HUGE difference in that and didn't cost much.

I love my bmag. One of my favorite calling rifles for fox and coon, It'll kill a coyote too. I put a boyds stock on it and it shoots good. One of my favorites.

Originally Posted By: Bad DawgOriginally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: Bad DawgI believe the Ruger 77/17 WSM was discontinued but they are bringing it back. At least that's what a local firearm dealer told me. Anyone have any info on this?

Ruger web site.

http://ruger.com/products/77Series7717/models.html

Yes, I saw this. Thanks. I went to order one the other day from my local gun shop and they told me they are not available right now from Ruger. I don't understand why being that they have them up on their site. The guy at the gun shop told me to check back in a month.

You need to tell your LGS to expand his distributor list. He's apparently limited with who he buys from. No one typically buys direct from Ruger.

I'm in a gun shop near where I live and I asked about availability, and after quickly checking a computer, the gun shop owner told me he could have one for me on Wednesday - would normally be here tomorrow if it wasn't a holiday.

I told him I was just checking availability so that everyone on the internet didn't think that Rugers weren't available.

My Bmag had issues removing the spent brass, feeding a new round and not re cocking the firing pin. Sent it in and they shipped back a whole new gun. What little I've had to shoot the new one it seems to work well and is accurate. Personally I'd go with the Ruger if I were you. Never had problems with any of my Rugers. But for me spending $700+ on a rim fire. No thanks. I'd spend that on a 220 swift though.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: Bad DawgOriginally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: Bad DawgI believe the Ruger 77/17 WSM was discontinued but they are bringing it back. At least that's what a local firearm dealer told me. Anyone have any info on this?

Ruger web site.

http://ruger.com/products/77Series7717/models.html

Yes, I saw this. Thanks. I went to order one the other day from my local gun shop and they told me they are not available right now from Ruger. I don't understand why being that they have them up on their site. The guy at the gun shop told me to check back in a month.

You need to tell your LGS to expand his distributor list. He's apparently limited with who he buys from. No one typically buys direct from Ruger.

I'm in a gun shop near where I live and I asked about availability, and after quickly checking a computer, the gun shop owner told me he could have one for me on Wednesday - would normally be here tomorrow if it wasn't a holiday.

I told him I was just checking availability so that everyone on the internet didn't think Ruger wasn't making them.

I'll check in to that with them. Thanks.

I like the looks of the Ruger 17WSM & I wouldn't mind spending $750 on one IF it would shoot fantastic out of the box. All I've read and all the videos I've watched, it seems you need to put another $150-$200 in the gun to get it to shoot 1/2 moa, bolt shims, and a new trigger plus the gunsmith labor if you can't do it.
With shipping, transfer, taxes if any, & the new parts you need to make it shoot, you could have $1000 to $1100 in a simple rimfire and still no guarantee that it will shoot.

If I'm incorrect in my thinking, I wish someone would explain it to me.

Thanks guys,
Jim D

Winny Fan,

Off topic for a moment, but I like the picture of the '73 under your user name. 30 years ago I collected them now all I have are two '73 wall hangers.
Sorry to interrupt the topic.

Jim D

Today I think calibers will stick around much more than the did in the past. Will you find the ammo at gander mountain 10 years from now? No, but that will be because gander mountain doesn't exist anymore.

With the internet though I would bet you will be able to buy nearly any ammo you could desire online. The real question is how much will it cost...

Originally Posted By: pyscodogIf money isn't an issue, check out the Volquartsen 17 WSM. A bit pricey but definitely top of the line.

Yes sir! That is a beauty!

Well I promised I'd post up if it cooled down. I lied. It never cooled down so I shot it anyway!!

Basic Bmag 17 WSM topped off with a CHEAP Simmons Whitetail 6.5X20 that had languished up on the shelf for a few years. Of course before a round was ever fired I'd pulled it out of its stock and adjusted the AccuTrigger as light as I could get it. I bought this out of curiosity. It isn't all that cheap to shoot but every once in awhile I don't want to have to reload..LOL

The rifle as it is set up.

bLKnMwp.jpg

As I said nothing fancy. I had purchased four kinds of ammunition that according to those that konw are all loaded by the same company. I don't know about that but the results were slightly different, I can say that the guy on the horse will be getting more if my bucks and I happen to know where some more of the same lot are.

These were shot at the end of my range session of eight hours. Temperatures were running between 104-108 most of the day and I was a tad fried so maybe a better effort when it cools down will be in order. I had never shot one of the Savage triggers like this so it was a bit of a learning curve. I can say that for some reason by the end of the short session it felt like I'd been shooting this rifle for years. It just flat clicked!!

Targets were at 50 yards as I was to tired to go back down to 100. That will be remedied next trip but I believe my interest is has certainly been aroused. Shot top to bottom. All speeds recorded by my LabRadar and exceeded those published on the box. Standard deviations were a bit higher than I like but the vagaries of rim fire ammunition that isn't Eley are just what I expect.

ZymTWu1.jpg

All told I am tickled with this one. The only issue I did have was several failures to extract. I'll take the bolt apart and clean the snot out of it and see what gives. I had less of the them with the Winchester with the Federal being the worst. The magazines were not hard to load and I had no feeding problems. This will be a hoot for a short range walk around gun.

Greg

I couldn't imagine why your velocity's were higher than the factory listing when its only 108* outside
wink.gif
looks like the Win in either flavor should work just fine but then again it's only 50 yds.

Originally Posted By: reddog964I couldn't imagine why your velocity's were higher than the factory listing when its only 108* outside
wink.gif
looks like the Win in either flavor should work just fine but then again it's only 50 yds.

Yep and I was shooting that 22 Nosler in the other thread in the cool of the day at 99 but I shot some 6X6.8 in 107-108. Lost five pounds while out and drank a gallon of water. I needed to have two gallons

I will be intrigued when it goes to 100 yards next trip. I hear these shoot so I'll find out soon.

Greg

Last edited:
Back