My 2017 South Dakota prairie dog hunt

Hunt

What a great trip out to South Dakota. After a ~3,000 mile road trip, I thought I would share. This is my second time out to p-dog hunt in SD and I learned so much more than my first time out. I decided this time around to try it on my own for the first two days to compare it to a guided hunt. While not comparing apples to apples, it did give me an idea of what to look for. Below are pictures to add to the story.

We started our adventure with a hunt in the Fort Pierre National Grasslands. After doing my homework and research, we had a plan. We made it out to Ft. Pierre and immediately starting looking for dog towns. After a little glassing, we found what we were after. Below is a picture of our first stop.

IMG_0831_zpswbx2tsav.jpg

We hunted until about 7 pm that evening and was having a blast. While the dogs were shy, we figured we shot about 50 rounds each b/t the two of us over about 4 hours. As we came back to the gravel road, we ran over a piece of metal in the road. This was a downer as we now had a flat and had to find the spare tire on the van. After an hour of this, we headed into Ft. Pierre for dinner at 9:30pm. It was still daylight as we were eating.

20170625_193908_zpsdj6hqspz.jpg

After getting a new tire the next morning (tire couldn't be patched), we headed out for another 1/2 day of hunting before heading West to meet with our guide on a guided 3-day hunt. On this 1/2 day hunt, we decided again to try the Ft. Pierre National Grassland on a different dog town. This time, we had about a 1.5 mile jaunt back to a dog town. This was a decent sized dog town. It had been shot over quite a bit and the dogs were once again shy. We shot about 60 rounds each that day before heading out. Dogs range from 150-500+ yards.

20170626_100825_zpsvbbyb67g.jpg

After a two hour drive West, we ended up at our destination. This was a guided 3-day hunt and the rancher put us up in his ranch house next to the family house. This place had all the comforts of home including satellite TV. We were greeted by the rancher and family and had dinner with them that evening. These folks were great people who made me feel welcomed. I was excited to see what the next few days would bring.

20170630_051620_zps28392rw1.jpg

We woke on the morning of our first day out with our guide. We had checked the weather for SD prior to leaving and the weather appeared favorable. However, after having a quick breakfast and a 40 minute drive to the p-dog town, what we found were winds gusting up to 47 mph. This was something I had no experience with being from an area with usually 5-15 mph winds. The guide had us setup behind a wind break in the field which helped cuts the winds. We quickly learned that we had to figured the wind out as the wind was 90 degrees to us. The dogs were up and we started glassing. We were both using 223s. I was shooting 55 gr ZMAX behind 25.0 gr of Benchmark for a velocity of 3,280 fps in a 26" 1/12 twist barrel. My buddy was shooting factory Fiocchi Extrema 40 gr VMAX which was screaming out of his 26" barrel. He was getting 3,720 fps. He tried heavier bullets later and he didn't seem to like them as well. The Zeiss scopes with the Z-Varmint reticles were the ticket as we had confirmed that having the magnification on mine at 12.5x perfectly matched the BDC.

20170627_093612_zpsrf6l7sfa.jpg

We shot through the day until everyone was fatigued. Even having good glass in your binos and scopes will make for a weary afternoon. The dogs throughout the day were mainly in the 100-300 yd range. The shooting was fantastic and the guide was excellent as he stayed with us all day and spotted and ranged for us. The benches he provided were excellent. However, after having a few hunts behind me, there is absolutely something to having a bench that can spin 360 degrees. If I did more of this type of hunting, I would seriously consider purchasing one.

IMG_0873_zpsfolgzqgd.jpg

The weather on the prairie is unpredictable at best. In looking at the weather before leaving home, they were expecting highs of around 85-90 deg every day. We packed for warm weather wearing clothes that were lightweight but also protected from the sun. I had the foresight to pack a light rain jacket as the 3rd day of our hunt was almost a wash out with rain. We were able to get out around 2pm and hunt until 7pm. However, it was 65 degrees outside and windy. If going out, expect cold and hot.

20170628_125330_zpsqhlrdsij.jpg

At the end of our 3-day hunt, we were tired and dreaded our 1,500 mile journey home. However, we made some new friends and we came away enriched in our thinking of what it takes to perform an on your own hunt. Having little time for vacation for us, the guide was the way to go. I realize many do not like this approach. However, I don't mind helping those that are attempting to accomplish their ranching dream and are trying to make ends meet. Now, back to work and reminisce.

20170630_063216_zpskjiwkswt.jpg

Originally Posted By: who meWhat no story?

Did you shoot those nice looking guns
In that beautiful county?

Looks like a fun outing.

You caught me mid-stream of writing "the story".
smile.gif

Well that's a great write up.

Hope I was being a smartxxx in a
joking way.

Sounds like you guys had a great time.

In response to your comment about a bench
that can swivel 360 degrees, I bought a Caldwell
Stable table and it works well.

I did make a bigger top out of 3/4 plywood that
gave me room for my elbow.

Hope you make it out there next year.

Originally Posted By: who meWell that's a great write up.

Hope I was being a smartxxx in a
joking way.

Nah, I knew you were joking. I didn't take it any other way. I meant to preview post before posting and hit the wrong button which put pictures out there before I could write anything.

As for your Caldwell, I think that would be the ticket. We had dogs behind us several times and I would have to pick up the bench and turn it around. It worked but there's also a chance of dumping your gear on the ground.

Great post... thanks. I hope to do the same thing in May/June of 2018. I've already started my savings account to fund my trip and will be loading my ammo soon.

I will be driving from central FL so I'm looking at two 17 hour driving days... but hey, I've always wanted a real road trip.

You mention May/June timeframe? Our last hunt a few years back was at the end of May/early June and it was still chilly. Temps were in the high 50s and low 60s and winds were at 32 mph. If considering the National Grasslands, you can't drive on some roads until after the middle of June. Consider this as the weather is different up there than in Florida.

Here's something else to consider on the drive. It took us two days to drive. Therfore, over the course of those two days we had to pay for lodging, fuel and meals.

Lodging will run in the range of $75-125/night once you get past the Mississippi River. Meals are going to run $10-$20/meal. Once you add that up as well as fuel, you're well into a plane ticket. The guide will usually pick you up at the airport and take you back to the airport. This is something to consider as costs may break even. You'll have to arrange shipping ammo to guide and consider baggage handlers with firearms.

Hey that road pic looks very familiar, I have shot May/early June and late July/Aug. I like later in summer, bigger pdogs. Headed to Montana the 15th, have not shot there. Temps look to be upper 80's.

Hunt--Thanks for sharing the story and photos from you prairie dog outing. Three thousand miles is a loooong way to go to shoot PDs. I guess I'm spoiled. The furthest dog town I shoot in is 86 miles one way. The country looked great and while you didn't burn up cases of ammo, it sounds like you still shot a fair amount of ammo.

Originally Posted By: HuntYou mention May/June timeframe? Our last hunt a few years back was at the end of May/early June and it was still chilly. Temps were in the high 50s and low 60s and winds were at 32 mph. If considering the National Grasslands, you can't drive on some roads until after the middle of June. Consider this as the weather is different up there than in Florida.

Here's something else to consider on the drive. It took us two days to drive. Therfore, over the course of those two days we had to pay for lodging, fuel and meals.

Lodging will run in the range of $75-125/night once you get past the Mississippi River. Meals are going to run $10-$20/meal. Once you add that up as well as fuel, you're well into a plane ticket. The guide will usually pick you up at the airport and take you back to the airport. This is something to consider as costs may break even. You'll have to arrange shipping ammo to guide and consider baggage handlers with firearms.

Good points that have been considered and I have decided to drive for a few reasons.

My truck only has 69K on it and with new tires and belt, should be trouble free. It's a 2010 F150 that gets a solid 475 miles per tank. Splitting the fuel costs with a friend will help.

Food wise, I have extensive TDY experience with the military and have budget eating down to a science lol... $20 a day tops.

Lodging... this will vary as we will be bringing a tent and "roughing it" as much as possible hitting a coin laundry about half way into the trip. Many truck stops have showers, and while not the best, can be an economical way to stay clean. But we have not ruled out a motel every third night.

Like already posted, we are looking for an adventure... driving until our butts are numb should provide that... I really want to SEE the country along the way... we will be in no hurry.

A member has already reached out to me with information and I'm hoping to meet up with him next year and hunt... if not, I'll continue to reach out here for tips and advice.

In reference to a shooting rest, check-out the X-ecutor 360 degree swivel with back rest. Partial dis-assembly for transport, supports up to 350 lbs. Just used one this May in southwest Colorado with great success.

Back