Learning to Forge

Powerfisher

Well, we have a make shift forge built. We cut a 50 gallon drum in half, put some dirt in the bottom, put fire bricks on top of the dirt for the base. Built a oven chamber with fire bricks and stuck a weed torch inside. Got hot enough to turn steel red hot. Is red-hot hot enough? We were able to manipulate the hot steel but when it comes to forge welding pieces of steel together for various reasons, will it be hot enough? Have watched videos on how to build a burner but do I really have to? I have gone through the internet but its always better to get the information first hand. Thanks.

Last edited:
Never used a weed torch. Instinct tells me the fuel is not hot enough.
I have tinkered with forges in the past. All of them were used for work and they used a certain kind of coal with a bellows or an electric blower. Certainly hot enough.

Red hot is fine for moving metal. You need flux and white hot for welding. With my coal forge I can burn stuff if I am not careful.

Edge of the Anvil by Jack Andrews is a very good book that explains everything you want to know.

The complete modern Blacksmith by Weygers is also very good.

The $50 knife shop by Goddard will give you some neat hints for saving money.

While forge welding is a distant pipe dream, I would like to build the forge once the right way rather than messing with it later down the road. Going to the hardware store today to get the fittings to build a couple of burners. The propane with a couple of proper burners should get the job done. I will also look into the books you suggested. What started out as a throw together forge is turning out to be a new project. Why I didn't do this a long time ago is beyond me. Thanks for all the advise.

Last edited:
Back