6x6.8 report

varminter .223

Seems to like 70 bts and 30 grains of AR comp the best. It will hold three quarter inch groups of six shots at almost exactly 3200 ft per second. I had a spread of 22 ft per second with six shots with 3196 being lowest. If I went up in powder any it would shoot one around 3250 but the next would be back to 3200. I have only tried rem 7.5s and a coal of 2.305 which is a full stoner mag. I don't trust my scopes enough to waste any more components or barrel life. With my 22 Nosler shooting 55 at 3550 I'm not sure I'm going to pursue a 58 grain load. It shot 58s right at 3430 FPS with 31.5 grains of 8208. 30.5 grains of AR comp shot 58 3350 FPS. 58s were right at an inch with the 8208 but I had a 3x9 vx1 with fat crosshairs on it at the time and it's tough to hold it any better than that with that setup. I shot my 70 loads with a V16 with one of the itty bitty Target dots. I only shot two of the 58s with the AR comp because that's all the brass I had prepped at the time and it put them right at .5 apart. Overall I'm pretty thrilled with it and if anybody's got another 6 x 6.8 Barrel they want to part with let me know. I have a buddy wanting one now. This 18-week lead is a killer.
With the 70's and Ar Comp there is occasional swiping and some small very light smears even at 30 grains but at 30.4 swiping is pretty consistent and there's some pretty heavy case head smearing. I feel 30 is as hot as I really want to go but its in the 90's today.

Last edited:
I forgot I previously gave you some of my data. Lol.

Your speeds at a given charge weight mirror mine, I made the switch from 7.5s to cci450 a while back and that made all the difference. I think the 7.5s have a hard time consistently lighting the powder column when the case is that full.

Ya i have to see what I have for primers. I had a few magnum primers. I need to see what I have but Im afraid a hotter primer will also raise pressure. I shoot 7.5s in everything with pretty good success.

Last edited:
Can't wait to get mine back! Ritch got the new barrel on it and sent me a picture. Won't be long I hope. Keep the info coming .
MasterBlaster

My 6X6.8 I run the 31.5gr 8208 and 450 primer with the 58's and it's a Lazer don't have any pressure issues. Did you run an adjustable gas block because before I adjusted mine it would show a little swipe. Took it west last month on a PD hunt man was that fun to watch.

I can't wait for my 6x6.8 barrel to come in from Ritch's!
thumbup.gif

My 6x6.8 shoots almost everything great. I have been shooting heavier loads like 87 vlds half moa I'm getting out of them. I'm getting 3000 fps out of the 87 vlds with Remington brass and Winchester primers and varget. I tried 55g nosler with h4895 and 8208 and didn't get the expected accuracy with good velocity. If I'm going to shoot slow I mise well shoot heavies. In my eyes the point of light bullets is to be fast and flat. The 58s shot good 31.7 g 8208 at about that 3450 with cci450. I like my 6x6.8 just wish lapua made brass for it.

zr600 have you tried h335 with those 55g bullets. That's what I use with 55g NBT & varmageedons, deadly accurate and prints half or less moa depending on winds here.

Originally Posted By: Ivetzr600 have you tried h335 with those 55g bullets. That's what I use with 55g NBT & varmageedons, deadly accurate and prints half or less moa depending on winds here.

I just bought 8208 today for my light bullets
unsure.gif

At least I know the AR COMP I bought will shoot good with 70s
thumbup1.gif
thumbup1.gif
thumbup1.gif

I cleaned for the first time tonight. I cleaned it before I ever shot it, but I put 74 rounds through it without a single patch through it and absolutely no sign of copper.Man after spending years fighting and cleaning factory barrels, Im a hand lapped only guy from now on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223I cleaned for the first time tonight. I cleaned it before I ever shot it, but I put 74 rounds through it without a single patch through it and absolute no sign of copper.Man after spending years fighting and cleaning factory bartels, Im a hand lapped only guy from now on.

That's good news. I guess you've missed my posts about that.. (VBG)

Greg

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Yes, I've read posts about bhw barrels being smooth and not copper fouling, thats why I bought one. Just giving a report on my particular barrel.

Yep. You're like me. Trust but verify.

Greg

I put the adjustable gas block on and at 3.5 turns out it would hang open on an empty mag but did nothing to cure case head swipes and smears. It sits very close to the matrix hanguard and groups opened way up to 1.5" or so so I put the stoner nonadjustable gb back on and accuracy was still poor. Dry fired the rifle several times on the bench and the v16 dot jumped left up to 1.5" on occasion. I have a bunch of junk scopes most of which are weaver v16's that are gonna have to go back to the manufacturer. The only other think I changed was using a .268 bushing vs. a .267. I put the vx 1 3-9 on it and accuracy was still beyond 1". I switched back to .267 bushing and shot a 5 shot group. It shot 2 distinct groups, 3 in one hole and 2 in the other but 1.5" apart. Elevation was back to well under .5 variance. Close to .25" just like when I originally came up with this load. I question my vx1 too. Very frustrating. May have to yank the Zeiss off of my 22 nosler.
Bottom line though the adjustable gb did not help case head damage. Im also getting loose primer pockets on my 1st firing. My 22 Nosler brass swipes no worse and Im not getting loose primer pockets. I have lost only 2 of those cases to necks splitting in probably a dozen firings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223I put the adjustable gas block on and at 3.5 turns out it would hang open on an empty mag but did nothing to cure case head swipes and smears. It sits very close to the matrix hanguard and groups opened way up to 1.5" or so so I put the stoner nonadjustable gb back on and accuracy was still poor. Dry fired the rifle several times on the bench and the v16 dot jumped left up to 1.5" on occasion. I have a bunch of junk scopes most of which are weaver v16's that are gonna have to go back to the manufacturer. The only other think I changed was using a .268 bushing vs. a .267. I put the vx 1 3-9 on it and accuracy was still beyond 1". I switched back to .267 bushing and shot a 5 shot group. It shot 2 distinct groups, 3 in one hole and 2 in the other but 1.5" apart. Elevation was back to well under .5 variance. Close to .25" just like when I originally came up with this load. I question my vx1 too. Very frustrating. May have to yank the Zeiss off of my 22 nosler.
Bottom line though the adjustable gb did not help case head damage. Im also getting loose primer pockets on my 1st firing. My 22 Nosler brass swipes no worse and Im not getting loose primer pockets. I have lost only 2 of those cases to necks splitting in probably a dozen firings.

I don't have anything to input on the scope issue but the loose pockets on first firing is odd. I was getting 5 to 6 on fc brass and I have 3 on my nosler ssa stuff now. To top it off, I'm loading a bit warmer as well. What brand of brass are you using?

Back