Grouping

spotandstock

Do a lot of you guys that shoot with cans keep consistent groups? I'm thinking about changing loads since my groups opened up a little with my harvester. I'm shooting factory 55 grain vmax out of a 16 inch barrel.

My guns run the same groups whether suppressed or un-suppressed. My POI shifts depending on whether I have my can on or off, but that is it.

Two of the five barrels I've tested with my TBAC U7 on them, the groups did open up enough to bother me, with loads tuned previously, before cutting and threading.

I've only re-tuned a load for one of the two so far. Took a whole new load. Just tweaking seating depth and making small changes in powder charge didn't quite get it there, close, but not quite and I'm picky. Tried a different load with a different powder that had been a finalist for working load in initial load tuning, when the barrel was new and tweaked seating depth on it and the barrel is back where it should be.

Haven't messed with the other one yet. Hoping it just needs some minor tweaking of the current load. But will just have to find out when I get around to it.

- DAA

No worries, the one I haven't re-tuned yet is a heavy barrel with a big scope, not the kind I'd ever take calling
smile.gif

- DAA

Originally Posted By: spotandstockDo a lot of you guys that shoot with cans keep consistent groups? I'm thinking about changing loads since my groups opened up a little with my harvester. I'm shooting factory 55 grain vmax out of a 16 inch barrel.

None my direct thread suppressors need load work. However over the years I've ran into a few issues with grouping variations. Since each barrel, load, and suppressor is different, you may need to tweak the load to cater to the suppressor. Most of the time it's an alignment issue, or barrel contour issue, but if you're not getting groups using your can where you used to get groups not using your can, try a new load or a more rigid barrel when using a can, if that won't work, get a new can.

Guys question, I am going to start reloading for a new rifle. I know a suppressor can change point of impact from on and off. But am I to understand the group can change? I am going to enter a shoot and hoped to work up a load with my suppressor on. But because I can not take my suppressor to the shoot for where it's at, should I work up load without it on? I was just hoping to change point of impact before I go to the shoot.

Originally Posted By: viperGuys question, I am going to start reloading for a new rifle. I know a suppressor can change point of impact from on and off. But am I to understand the group can change? I am going to enter a shoot and hoped to work up a load with my suppressor on. But because I can not take my suppressor to the shoot for where it's at, should I work up load without it on? I was just hoping to change point of impact before I go to the shoot.

I wouldn't... If your planning on shooting unsuppressed then work up a load unsuppressed.

Practice how you are going to play..

unknown variables at a competition are not reflective of your best effort and your gear shouldn't be one of them.

Work up your best load the way you are going to shoot for the competition and make changes afterwards when you have time.

Good luck,

Originally Posted By: viperGuys question, I am going to start reloading for a new rifle. I know a suppressor can change point of impact from on and off. But am I to understand the group can change? I am going to enter a shoot and hoped to work up a load with my suppressor on. But because I can not take my suppressor to the shoot for where it's at, should I work up load without it on? I was just hoping to change point of impact before I go to the shoot. Like others mentioned i would work up the load as intended to shoot in the comp. I have a Omega and on my threaded LVSF 223 the groups opened up about 1/4" compared to my already tuned load. Have an AAC Elemnt 2 on 2 17hmrs and one shot the same group size as previously the other got way worse. Put the omega on both of those 17hmrs and the groups shrank to the best groups ive ever shot with those guns.

Last edited:
Back