Anyone Using H4198 for .204?

DannoBoone

Twenty-four grains behind a 32gr V-max is a 4100fps load in a Tactical 20, and very
accurate as well.

Is there some reason I'm missing that practically no one is using it in the .204 Ruger?
To date (after several weeks of looking), I've found just one load using H4198 on
Ammo Guide, but nothing in any forum.

Has anyone here even tried it?

I have not used it in any of my 20's but I do see Hodgdon gives data for the 30 Bergers and lighter pills.

I wouldn't think it would be too hard to go off in uncharted territory on this one. If I were chasing this dragon down I'd be looking at 222 Remington load data. Smaller case and bigger bore so there should be some balance there. Across the board for the same weight bullets the 222 is a tad lower than the 204 and I would use that as my baseline jump off work up point. They do list the H4198 all the way up to 55 grains.

Greg

I use IMR 4198 in my 204, and it works well. It's just a pita to meter out, gotta weigh every charge so normally I stick with H335.

When I had a 204, I shot a very very stiff load with a 40 gr vmax. I think my starting loads were from Hodgdon data, or they might have come from Parker Ackleys book.

I got a very low ES with this powder and quite good velocity. It's been years but I'm sure I have the data at home.

Thanks, guys. As we all know, load development must be for a
specific rifle, but I'm just fishin' for a good starting point.
May even start with my Tac 20 load and go from there. It's a
bit surprising all the powders mentioned everywhere with little
to nothing for H4198 when it works so well in the Tac 20.
Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: jetman I use it but 60 gr and a 300 gr hornady. In my 45/70

Are you known as "slugger" in a different world? A lot of guys
in that world use 62-72gr of it in their smokeless ML's.

Originally Posted By: jetman MAYBE

But mine is cartridge not front loader

Good luck with your bear hunt!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: ironworkerSure hope I didn't ruin my life,I bought a lb of H4198 and not Re#10x . Well to late now .

I suspect you'll live through the experience and learn a bit along the way.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: ironworkerSure hope I didn't ruin my life,I bought a lb of H4198 and not Re#10x . Well to late now .

I suspect you'll live through the experience and learn a bit along the way.

Greg
Friends have stopped returning phone calls,neighbors running into their home upon sight of me.

Back