Summer Coyote

Night Eyes

Ryan was itching to try a summer night hunt but I was reluctant because I do not like all the bugs that accompany the hot summer nights. Out of all my years of hunting I never hunted coyotes during the summer. However, since my license was expiring tomorrow and I haven’t gotten my new one yet I said if we are going to try it let’s do it tonight.

It was a little after midnight when we got set up. We sat back to back in the middle of a cut field and as my scan light panned across the field I saw glimpses of what looked like a dozen sets of eyes. After a minute or so I started adjusting to all those lightning bug flashes and tried to cancel them out. About ten minutes into the calling I heard the unmistakable sound of Ryan lip squeaking. I turned my scan light off so not to back light Ryan and turned around. I could see a set of eyes charging in. A few seconds later Ryan’s gun light lit him up at about 70 yards. The .223 put this large male down.

Even though we were successful I think we will save our hunts for later in the season when the furs are prime and there are less bugs, lol.

Hey congrats! Thanks for the short story. I'm itching to hunt right now too but I'm not looking forward to itching from all the bug bites so maybe I'll wait.
smile.gif

Awesome guys ! I'm sure you just saved some other wildlife by taking him out early in the year ! A nice breeze helps eliminate the bug problem. Enjoy your summer !

thermacell is the bug answer. I keep the "pad" sealed up between hunts & can get a several nite sets out of 1.

Originally Posted By: jmeddythermacell is the bug answer. I keep the "pad" sealed up between hunts & can get a several nite sets out of 1.

That's good to know. What do you seal the pad in?

Back