Finally got a black one

Hootiewho

About 11 years ago I jumped what I feel was probably the father of this one while turkey hunting and he was huge for around here. I jumped him in a hedgerow and he was gone before I could get a shot. The coyotes around my home move around from farm to farm every 3 days or so. I have a bunch of trail cams set up on travel routes. Well a month ago or so I started to see this black male and a lighter female on my cams on one particular property often. I had been putting out coyote trapping lure scent in front of the cams and they would come by marking their turf every day. I figured they had a den close, so the other night I sat up in a stand using coyote vocals.

In no time I saw this one and his mate coming through planted pines with the FLIR. I sat the FLIR down and with the PVS-30 I could tell the one was black. I dropped him and got a hit on the mate as it ran off but she had a bit of mange so I left her in the woods. Anyway, he was a bit over 38 lbs and I took the head to my taxidermist for a bust mount. He was killed roughly 3/10's of a mile from where I jumped a black one years ago. Very happy about this one.

url]

I've guess I've seen at least a couple hundred coyotes, since they showed up around my area in the early 2000s, but I have yet to see a black one alive. My neighbor killed a beatiful one about 400 yards from my house. Maybe one day I will get lucky. Nice coyote.

Last edited:
Nice. Black is rare around here also. I've called in two hundred+ in the past few years and have only seen 2 black ones.

Nice black yote, I have gotten five of them, including this one in my backyard @ 225 yards.

You never know they are black until you put 'en down at night.

HK%20Black%20Coyote%20225%20yards2.jpg

Back