Stock Options For a 700

jpr423

Hi Guys,

I have a Remington 700 VSSF II and I'm looking for a new stock. It currently has the factory HS Precision stock but I can't stand the huge palm swell on both sides and how short the grip is. I'm looking for something with a thinner longer grip (a palm swell would be nice just not as big as the current stock)

Midway has B&C medalist stocks that have a similar style to them but does anyone know if the grip is better? If so is it worth changing or is the quality lower?

I also though about one of the tactical stocks but those seem pretty bulky for a coyote gun. Any thoughts?

Here's the B&C

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/811896...ystem-synthetic

Take a look at the new boyds at one I have one mated up to a sako A7 really feels good to shoulder.Lots of adjustability nice stock for the money

The B&C is pretty much the same as what you have. Why don't you find someone that has an H-S like yours without the palm swells and swap. Some folks like the bigger grip. Save a buck.

The palm swell stocks are definitely a love em or hate em stock. Much like yourself, I used to despise the palm swell stocks, until, I changed my grip and stopped wrapping my thumb over the top. Now that I don't wrap my thumb, I not only shoot better groups, but the palm swell doesn't really bother me.

Just a thought but maybe try changing how you grip the gun and see if that helps.

If you want to stick with that type of stock (material), I would go with THIS B&C STOCK. I couldn't agree with you more regarding the palm swells on the HS stocks. After running both HS and the B&C stocks, I would rather use a B&C over the HS. I know most will say it is a step down in quality, but I don't think so.

If you are open to a bit of a wait, get a hold of Tim @ No Off Season (he is a sponsor here) and look into a McMillan stock. One of my favorites is the Gamescout.

Originally Posted By: B23The palm swell stocks are definitely a love em or hate em stock.

I did not own a stock that even had palm swell until about 20 years ago. Now all over my favorite rifles have them. They just feel right to me.

Grayboe stocks are worth a look. The renegade model sounds like it may be what you are looking for. I personally have an outlander model on a Rem 700 in 35 Whelen and have been very happy with it. A buddy of mine uses the renegade and has also been very happy with it. For the money they are hard to beat. I purchased mine through RedHawk Rifles.

Probably your cheapest option on a new stock would be one of the Boyd's stocks. Obviously they're wood so if that's a deal breaker then a Boyd's would be a no go but they definitely have lots of different models to choose from. Maybe take a look at their new At-One stock, it comes standard with a lot of adjustability and may be just what you're looking for. Worth a look, maybe.

JPR,

I hate those huge palm swells also. I had the HS that was black with green webbing & sold both mine on GB for $275 and $295. If your going to purchase a stock, go to Redhawk Rifles & the have really good prices. The HS Sendero stock they sell does not have palm swells but is the same stock as on your VSSF. Redhawk sells several brands of stocks & colors, all with good prices & free shipping. Great people & I deal with Jordan.

My favorite B&C stock is the M40 but it's kind of a big stock with a wide forearm & long length of pull for long arms. The M40 is a real nice stock, great fit for the VSSF, but I prefer the Sendero HS if I walk much with it.

Jim D

Last edited:
Back