Case head separation warnings?

KyleWoods

Ok all, I've been reloading for my Savage 340 in 222 since last August. All of the brass I'm using is from factory ammo. I noticed after the third firing that there is a significant bump about 3/16" from the bottom of the case all the way around. To me this is a sign that I may experience case head separation on my next firing. All of the brass is Winchester or RP and your guess is as good as mine as to how old it is. I also have some factory hornady brass that is on it's third firing, the bump is there but not as bad, and the hornady brass is only a year old.

This rifle was originally my grandpa's and he bought it used from a guy, so I haven't the slightest clue how many rounds are on the barrel. I thought maybe it could be a headspace issue? Up until I started reloading, this rifle only shot factory ammo, so the headspace issue is showing itself because I've put multiple firings on the brass? Another thing to note is I've only neck sized all the brass with the Lee collet die.

I'm just kind of surprised that I'm seeing this on the third firing. Any input is welcome.

How much are you bumping the shoulders back on sizing the cases? You may be inducing extra stretching.

Greg

Last edited:
The Lee collet die doesn't bump the shoulder does it? The rounds haven't been hard to chamber so I haven't bothered full length sizing.

I should also mention I'm running 19.9 gr of IMR 4198 under 50 gr SBK with no pressure signs

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: GLShooterHow much are you bumping the shoulders back on trlisding the cases?

what is trlisding? serious question. no idea.

That's the way my phone transmuted sizing.

If you are just using a collet crimp die the shoulders won't move.

If it's a bump how big is it via micrometer? It almost sounds like a ring in the chamber. I'm guessing they extract fine?

Greg

Yes there is no problem extracting. The ring measures .377, as it should. Upon further inspection it looks like the case is necking down between that ring and the base, in that 3/16" area I was talking about. I will get a measurement tomorrow of how far the diameter is below the nominal .377

Maybe I'm overreacting but I figure it's better to be safe than sorry, especially cause I'm new to this addicting hobby.

Not real unusual. The case head is thick enough to not blow out. Lots of cases show this. You can try the paper clip check on the inside that is all over the net. You could section a couple and see that it is not thinning there.

At some point you'll have to st least bump the shoulders but if it's a mild load that could be a while.

Personally I wouldn't be concerned if it were mine.

Greg

Some 222's were rechambered to 223 by hand with a reamer and might not be marked. You could try a 223 round just to see if it would chamber. Maybe that is a possibility?

All of my case head seperations occurred about 3/4 of an inch above the case head. They exhibited a shiny ring after the third loading and will seperate or crack at the next loading.

Back