tripod set up

I didn't get to make a video tonight, but I think the YouTube stuff shows the differences between the two pretty good.

Basically the leveling mount is easier to use since there is only one locking knob/lever.l
With the ball head I was constantly fooling around with three different knobs and seemed kinda tedious.
I only wish someone would've schooled me before I bought my ball head because it's just collecting dust.

Originally Posted By: gunslinger81I didn't get to make a video tonight, but I think the YouTube stuff shows the differences between the two pretty good.

Basically the leveling mount is easier to use since there is only one locking knob/lever.l
With the ball head I was constantly fooling around with three different knobs and seemed kinda tedious.
I only wish someone would've schooled me before I bought my ball head because it's just collecting dust.

Please send me your dust collecting ballhead.

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: pmack
At $50 it seems a much more cost effective option than the big $$ ball mounts guys are using to do the same thing. Why spend more $$ for engineered vertical friction that isn't necessary.

I may have spoke too soon on the $$, after looking at different leveling heads you can still spend close to what you would on a ball head.

Leveling head does seem like a good option though.

Originally Posted By: NGI_TOMWe feel like $135 is inexpensive when you think about the cost to replace the rifle and/or optics that just fell on the ground as a result of a cheap product with a faulty design.

Yep, I would rather spend $135 for a pig saddle than have to replace a rifle or scope (if that is what would happen if it fell off).

My point is that the piece itself, seems to me, should cost less for such an attachment for a tripod. Just my thoughts. Not doubting the effectiveness of the pig saddle at all, but rather the cost of it.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06

My point is that the piece itself, seems to me, should cost less for such an attachment for a tripod. Just my thoughts. Not doubting the effectiveness of the pig saddle at all, but rather the cost of it.

Look at the engineering, design and components involved in a tripod, ball head, or leveling head. It's not easily reproduced. They are marketed and mass produced for the photography industry by many companies. Prices range from $100-1000 for tripods, the choices are endless.

Now take any of the saddles on the market, they fit a small niche, are produced by a few companies and the market price point is what it is. To me it's just a clamp that holds your gun and it is way over priced vs the other parts of a "hunting tripod set up". If the market was larger, more companies would be in it and pricing would be more competitive.

Last edited:
Just ordered the Pig saddle, Slik tripod and both the ball mount and leveling head. You guys are bad influences.....

Excited to try them out !! Thanks for sharing the links guys !

Back