260 question please

pyscodog

Working on loads for my Tikka T3x in 260. My loads today were Rel-19, 120 grain Nosler, CCI primer in Remington brass. All loads shot at 100yds. First loads were 46 grains, 3 shots about 5/8", 2nd group was 46,5 and opened up to just a fuzz over an inch, 3rd group was 47grains and closed back up to 3/4 inch. Last group was 47.5 grains but the group opened up to about 1 1/4 inchs.The rifle never shown any sighs of pressure, nice round edges on the primer and no sticky bolt. Should I keep bumping up the load and look for another accuracy node and pressure signs or drop back to the 47 grain load and call it a day? I'm limited on bullet length because of the mag so my OAL is 2.800 but I have a little room left to lengthen them out a little. Not much more though.

If I remember correct I ended up using 45.5 grs of RE 19 But you can also try 45.0 which is still a slightly compressed load. Go to the lower end first instead of going up. At 47.5 you are roughly about 500 PSI under the Sammi specs. I do not know which model rifle you have, so I do not know for certain the length of your barrel. But it does look like, it is telling you the lower velocity is the best node. Just an FYI you are going over the Sammi Pressure Specs at 47.6 and up. With your barrel twist of 1-8 you might get a slight more pressure. Compared to Remingtons 1-9 twist. I found that I had to settle on a little lower velocity but many times I have seen this happen. It seems that just a little lower than max is best for accuracy.

I am going to suggest something to you. After you try a few more loads with RE19, you might try a different primer such as a Federal primer. I found that the Federals LRP ( not the match 210M ) worked better for me. You may already know this,,, Hornady when in their R+D, of the 260, found that the LRP created too much pressure. This is why they went to the small rifle primer.
I have used some Hornady ammo (with small primers ) and found good results. But if I used the brass for reloading, I could not get the same results as I was with Remington brass. DUH!!!! Don't we all. Using Nosler Book and the Hornady book,,, Use their recipes, But when you go to the range, and use the chronograph, you will probably find different results than the book. Accuracy and velocity wise both.

On the COAL I have had the same problem.(mag small) And the chamber was long enough to really get the bullet out there. I just stayed with the OAL. Otherwise I would be single loading. Also I did not find that it helped me that much to lengthen the cartridge, using the Nosler and the Hornady bullets. The 140 gr Partition, has killed many hogs for me. Deer too. The 95 gr Hornady is cool for coyotes. I want to try the 100 gr in TTSX it's a tipped bullet, and there have been good results with the 85 and 95 Barnes in the 6.8 for smaller hogs. Forget the 125 gr Nosler. Even the techs at Nosler admit that it is not that good of a bullet. I never got the accuracy with it.
If you choose to use or try the Berger you may have to load them like a single shot,( one at a time) they have been very accurate in longer ranges.

The 47.5 loads are slightly compressed. I don't have any Federal primers other than the match but its not a big deal to get some. I have been wondering if switching primers might improve accuracy, just haven't done it yet. Accuracy was actually under a half inch after I actually measured it, with the lighter load ad if thats what it likes, so be it. I'm not a speed freak anyway. I'll take accuracy any day. Thanks for the tips guys!! Ain't reloading fun!!!!!

How far do you plan to shoot is the question.

If your only going out 200 to 300 go with the most accurate.

The only time you need speed is when your going long.

Its a hunting rig. Most shots are usually close where I hunt. A 300 yd shot would be a very long shot. I only hunt one place where I might shoot that far and if this year was a bad as last year, I doubt I will hunt that place.

Hornady #8 manual is saying with a 120gr bullet, R-19, 47.9 is a max load. I shot a few today at 50.1 with no pressure signs what so ever. I'm just loading 3 at each weight, going 2/10's at a time trying to really find where the max load for my rifle is. Also seeing accuracy nodes in between different loads.

Since every rifle is different, you might look at measuring your brass from the fired cases at 1/4" and even 1/2" above the rim. compare this to a sized case. Look first at the fired cases with your starting loads. Primer don't always tell you everything. How was the accuracy at the 50.1 ?

Originally Posted By: cherokeetrackerSince every rifle is different, you might look at measuring your brass from the fired cases at 1/4" and even 1/2" above the rim. compare this to a sized case. Look first at the fired cases with your starting loads. Primer don't always tell you everything. How was the accuracy at the 50.1 ?

About an inch group. Two shots really close together and one out. We had a bit of wind yesterday but I don't know just how much effect it had on the bullets at 100yds.

PYSCODOG did you try dome more of the loads 50.1 or did you perhaps try to push higher in velocity?
As the rifle changes nodes sometimes the groups will open then close tight at higher velocities.
Did you start to check anything at 200 yds? Such as your groups that were tight at 100?
Just curious how this was going....

Originally Posted By: cherokeetrackerPYSCODOG did you try dome more of the loads 50.1 or did you perhaps try to push higher in velocity?
As the rifle changes nodes sometimes the groups will open then close tight at higher velocities.
Did you start to check anything at 200 yds? Such as your groups that were tight at 100?
Just curious how this was going....

I haven't had a chance to work up anymore loads yet but I'll try to before the weekend.

Originally Posted By: cherokeetracker Forget the 125 gr Nosler. Even the techs at Nosler admit that it is not that good of a bullet. I never got the accuracy with it.

Wow. Thanks for the heads up on that.
The Hornady SST shoots GREAT in my 260 but several reviews said that it was too frangible and has penetration problems on deer sized game. I have purchased some 120g Sierra which is supposed to be much better at terminal performance but I have not tried them yet.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWorking on loads for my Tikka T3x in 260. My loads today were Rel-19, 120 grain Nosler, CCI primer in Remington brass. All loads shot at 100yds. First loads were 46 grains, 3 shots about 5/8", 2nd group was 46,5 and opened up to just a fuzz over an inch, 3rd group was 47grains and closed back up to 3/4 inch. Last group was 47.5 grains but the group opened up to about 1 1/4 inchs.The rifle never shown any sighs of pressure, nice round edges on the primer and no sticky bolt. Should I keep bumping up the load and look for another accuracy node and pressure signs or drop back to the 47 grain load and call it a day? I'm limited on bullet length because of the mag so my OAL is 2.800 but I have a little room left to lengthen them out a little. Not much more though.

I am showing 47.5 grains to be compressed at 108% fill and 61K pressure which is above saami max. Some of this will depend on your actual case capacity so this could all change slightly.

What does your vertical look like from group to group? Are there two consecutive groups that have the same vertical?

Do you have access to a chronograph?

Originally Posted By: pyscodogThe 47.5 loads are slightly compressed. I don't have any Federal primers other than the match but its not a big deal to get some. I have been wondering if switching primers might improve accuracy, just haven't done it yet. Accuracy was actually under a half inch after I actually measured it, with the lighter load ad if thats what it likes, so be it. I'm not a speed freak anyway. I'll take accuracy any day. Thanks for the tips guys!! Ain't reloading fun!!!!!

Something to remember about compressed loads is that they can lead to inconsistent seating depths. The pressure required to seat the bullet down into the case can also push it back up and when it does it is never the same because the powder is never poured / trickled exactly the same.

As far as primers as long as you are using a large rifle - non magnum you should not have a problem. The only time I change primers is after the load is developed and I am trying to minimize ES / SD numbers.

Last edited:
I found mine likes a little heavier bullet. Play with seating depth as much as your mag will allow. If you need a mag that doesn't have the spaced in it, shoot me a pm.

Back