Developing new shot to replace Cholesterol meds.

Tbone-AZ

I am sure that there are plenty of us that take statin drugs. But given the new announcements that it can lead to higher levels of dimensia and pain, some are starting to skip the drug and this shot could be a much easier and cheaper way of dealing with the condition.

MIRACLE JAB Heart attack ‘vaccine’ available in just SIX years to knock cholesterol busting statins off the shelves
Side-effects of the jab include an increased risk of developing diabetes

AN injection that lowers cholesterol to protect against heart attacks will be available within six years, doctors hope.

The once-a-year jab, now being tested in clinical trials, would end the need to take daily statin pills for millions of patients.

It works by boosting the body’s ability to remove cholesterol from the blood, cutting levels by as much as a third in high-risk adults.

The treatment could be on the market as soon as 2023 at a cost of between £625 and £1,200 a time, say researchers.

Dr Tim Chico, from Sheffield University, said the inventive new therapy “would be likely to lead to a reduction in heart attacks”.
Cholesterol contributes to the stiffening and ­narrowing of arteries, increasing the risk of heart attack and stroke.

About 160,000 deaths in Britain every year are down to heart or circulatory disease.

More than seven million adults take 6p-a-day statin tablets to cut the risk.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/3837955/...ff-the-shelves/

I can't take cholesterol lowering drugs.
Dr put me on a shot in the stomach every two weeks. Cost 18,000 per year.
It didn't work for me. Cholesterol didn't go down a bit. It did make me sick for about three days after the shot though.
Now another Dr says they have not been able to prove cholesterol is responsible for clogged arteries.
Says the studies were flawed.
Says they think it is mostly genetic now.
Who knows.

it just makes you shake your head.

I tried all the pills, and really high doses, and then switched to a crazy diet for 3 weeks.

after all of it, only went down a few percent. I would rather eat steak, and die a few years earlier happy than eat the twigs and berries and live longer.

The Doc told me that it's short sighted.. I replied, have you seen the state of life for an 80 year old and a 90? Not much of me wants to give up steak to find out those differences..

Ironically, i stopped it all then went about my way.. I work out, and was eating Elk often and had the same percentage of change eating Elk instead of regular steak. But, didn't have to eat the vegan diet. Sounds like a win to me..

But i would rather wait for the shot that takes care of it, than take the chance that i loose my memory, get dimensional, and have muscle cramping and pain from the statins. (personally for me)

Quote:It didn't work for me. Cholesterol didn't go down a bit. It did make me sick for about three days after the shot though.
Now another Dr says they have not been able to prove cholesterol is responsible for clogged arteries.

That seems to fit the pattern, JJ. When the Drs. can't fix it, they just seem to move the goal and look the other way. Been there, done that....still waiting for the tee shirt.

Regards,
hm

Listening to one of the Dr Oz shows and he had a European doctor as a guest...The guest stated that physicians in European countries are required by law to give an additional drug when prescribing statin drugs, due to negative side effects...

My wife can't take them due to muscle and joint pain that sets in and her cholesterol stays within reason...My cardiologist has me on a light dose of statins with no side effects and says my readings are better than his...With my drug coverage, a 90 day supply is $3.80 and I can handle that much easier than what was discussed in the original post...

I found out that some of the blood pressure meds I was taking was reducing the ability of my blood to carry oxygen to the heart...I dropped off (with my dr) of about half of what I was taking and my body adjusted to the reduction and for half a day I breath much better..

That is great to hear OT.

I swear half the time you have to weigh what the dr. is trying to do against the whole picture.

I also take into account that each year there are 100,000 people that die each from Dr. mistakes.

For the price difference that new drug would have to drop cholesterol to the bare minimum that your body needs. Keep at that level for at least a year (5 preferred). And even then the cost is too high for most people I know.

ya, but there are plenty of drugs that people get every day that are that price too.

Most Anti-botics and other normal drugs are in the hundreds per cycle.

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleListening to one of the Dr Oz shows and he had a European doctor as a guest...The guest stated that physicians in European countries are required by law to give an additional drug when prescribing statin drugs, due to negative side effects...

My wife can't take them due to muscle and joint pain that sets in and her cholesterol stays within reason...My cardiologist has me on a light dose of statins with no side effects and says my readings are better than his...With my drug coverage, a 90 day supply is $3.80 and I can handle that much easier than what was discussed in the original post...

I found out that some of the blood pressure meds I was taking was reducing the ability of my blood to carry oxygen to the heart...I dropped off (with my dr) of about half of what I was taking and my body adjusted to the reduction and for half a day I breath much better..

Several years ago my dr, well not my dr but the guy i was forced to use when my insurance changed, said my ldl was too high and wanted me on statins. I told him I'd just gotten ack in the gym and would add some cardio. You could hear his eyes roll from accross the room.

He talked me into it. Within 2 days i couldn't do 2 minutes on the treadmill. I was sucking air like id been sprinting for miles. I couldnt do a flight of stairs without sitting down at the end.

I quit them, within a week was back to running normally.

How's in the [beeep] are you supposed to stay in shape when you feel like you're about to die every time you stand up?

I got asthmatic while trying to run on that stuff. I took if for years at the request of the VA.

I was on 80mg a day, and after the pain and cramps they backed it to 40 and that was a lot but trying to run at all would cause me to have to use a rescue inhaler for anything more than a walking speed, and the cramps, mussel pain, not to mention the fact that working out had no effect on my weight loss despite eating right, and running 8-10 miles 3 times a week.

Now that i have stopped, my short term memory is better, my mood is better, the cramping and pain is better, the weight has melted off, and i can jog like i used to.

I figured that it's better to not take it and by the time my exercise and reasonable diet are not enough they will have something else to help with the LDL.

It wouldn't surprise me in 10 years if they have some nano bots that are injected and float along in your blood stream slowly cleaning out the buildup in your cardio vascular system and these statins will be a thing we all look back at, and think of it like we do of other things they used to do as strange, like using leaches and blood letting.

I do not know anything about being on these type of meds. But my neighbor who i really like has been on them sence he had a stint put in and he at almost a year later says he cant breath good or is short of wind. Do you all think it is because of these type of meds??

yes

There are research reports coming out all the time that show that Statin has links to dementia, muscle cramps and pain, and a few others. All to lower the cholesterol.

I would rather die from a heart attack, than slowly from dementia.

Quote:my neighbor who i really like has been on them sence he had a stint put in and he at almost a year later says he cant breath good or is short of wind. Do you all think it is because of these type of meds??
...It's very possible...If he's on any blood pressure meds, some of them can seriously have an effect as well...He needs to have a serious talk and review with his pharmacist...I fully believe that some doctors get financial kick backs for some of the drugs they prescribe.. Most pharmacists will be pretty straight about drug side effects...Luckily, I have an Internal Medicine doctor that is as well...

Originally Posted By: OldTurtle...It's very possible...If he's on any blood pressure meds, some of them can seriously have an effect as well...He needs to have a serious talk and review with his pharmacist...I fully believe that some doctors get financial kick backs for some of the drugs they prescribe.. Most pharmacists will be pretty straight about drug side effects...Luckily, I have an Internal Medicine doctor that is as well...

While they are not paying per script, the pill world shows up to the doctors offices and brings lunch and then says all the nice things their drugs do.
(this is very common)
Most of the doctors see the same kinds of things. There are manuals that they reference when writing or calling in a script. They look up the condition and it lists the drugs for it, and then based on weight, they make the calculations and then call it in to the Pharmacy. Docs usually use the same ones over and over for the same conditions, even if there is something out there that is new or better. There is just a lot of changes all the time so staying current on all the changes is really tough. But, after the pill pushers come to the office they promote and then the docs may or may not start using that in their practice.

Best as OT says, if you are not sure, is to talk to your doctor before making changes and ensure they know everything you are taking and any reactions you are having.. It may be possible they don't realize or thinking about everything else you are on.

If your DR won't stay current, find a new Dr. I spoke with one a year ago and brought up a couple drugs that had been in the news non stop for a couple years, in the whole 'groundbreaking' category. He asked me how they were spelled and got on Google. I asked for a referal and haven't talked to him since.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZOriginally Posted By: OldTurtle...It's very possible...If he's on any blood pressure meds, some of them can seriously have an effect as well...He needs to have a serious talk and review with his pharmacist...I fully believe that some doctors get financial kick backs for some of the drugs they prescribe.. Most pharmacists will be pretty straight about drug side effects...Luckily, I have an Internal Medicine doctor that is as well...

While they are not paying per script, the pill world shows up to the doctors offices and brings lunch and then says all the nice things their drugs do.
(this is very common)
Most of the doctors see the same kinds of things. There are manuals that they reference when writing or calling in a script. They look up the condition and it lists the drugs for it, and then based on weight, they make the calculations and then call it in to the Pharmacy. Docs usually use the same ones over and over for the same conditions, even if there is something out there that is new or better. There is just a lot of changes all the time so staying current on all the changes is really tough. But, after the pill pushers come to the office they promote and then the docs may or may not start using that in their practice.

Best as OT says, if you are not sure, is to talk to your doctor before making changes and ensure they know everything you are taking and any reactions you are having.. It may be possible they don't realize or thinking about everything else you are on. Yea and when you say they bring lunch it is usally Red lobster or some other high dollar place. I have been working at one of the local drs office and seen this. Those pharmasotical cos. sure spend the $$$.

Originally Posted By: hunter243sgkYea and when you say they bring lunch it is usally Red lobster or some other high dollar place. I have been working at one of the local drs office and seen this. Those pharmasotical cos. sure spend the $$$.

Wife's niece works at a clinic in Gainesville, near Shands Medical Center, from what she's said, it's once a week for about half a dozen companies, never has to buy lunch. And, yes... Red Lobster, Texas Roadhouse, and a few other nicer restaurants there were catering for a staff of 60. But!!! According to the pharmaceutical companies, the reason those prescriptions cost so much is all the research that goes into them. Not the tens of millions a year spent on buying doctor's offices lunch.

Personally, I don't do doctors. I've been in a doctor's office 3 times in the last 20 years. All 3 times for DOT Physicals, passed all 3 times. First one they told me my blood pressure was a little high and wanted me to monitor it. I explained I had worked 22 hours straight, had been asleep 2 hours when the boss called looking for 2 receipts for tax purposes, one to an industry specific warehouse that sells nothing but industry supplies. The other for $30 to Tractor Supply. By the time I got done explaining I didn't have a clue where the [beeep] they were at, really didn't care at that point, to claim them and worry about it when he got audited, if he ever did, and to leave me the [beeep] alone, I was awake, and I worked another 10 hour day. That I was getting married in 3 days, and my request for a SMALL wedding in my mother and mother-in-law's planning had turned in to 250+ people being invited, and that that was the first time I'd set foot in a doctor's office for anything, in 17 years. They told me I probably should have exploded already, that they didn't think it was a problem.

Next time the good doctor searched, and probed, and poked, and listened, and had me touch my toes, and you name it. Blood pressure was lower than the previous trip, although still a little high. And, he couldn't find a thing wrong with me, but he wanted me to come in for some blood work, because at my age, and being over weight and all. I told him it probably wasn't going to happen.

Last time, my blood pressure was better yet, but still a little higher than the track star they think you should be at 58 years old, and packing 50 extra lbs. Doctor asked when I had last visited my regular doctor, I looked right at her, just as serious as I could, and told her, "19 years ago!" The look on her face was priceless!! She said something about I must be one of the lucky ones, I told her, I was just too damned ornery to die, and I wasn't buying any doctors beamers.

Been to the ER once in all those years; they pissed me off and I left before I saw anyone. Stopped at Walgreens on the way home and bought a bottle of eyewash, and fixed the problem myself for $12. Then after my having sat in the ER for over 2 hours without seeing anyone but the receptionists, they called and inquired about my satisfaction with their services. I was polite, and told the lady she really did NOT want me to answer that question, and hung up on her.

I look at all the problems my folks have with all the meds they're on, and my mother-in-law with all the meds she's on, doctor has my wife on blood pressure meds, hers is still high. I'm like T-Bone, I don't want any part of it. If I die tomorrow med-free, I really don't care, it's been a fun ride, I don't know that I want to live another 20 - 30 years!!

I have been to probably 10 wakes in the last four years, everyone of them died from complications due to prescription drugs..

I was at a clambake a few weeks ago talking to a concrete contractor I know, our mutual friend had just died, I asked if it was a heart attack. My friend told me that the mans doctor switched his prescription drug, he felt ill and just died!!
He was 52 years old...

Good clean food, water and herbs as God intended.....

Keep in mind that gun deaths include suicides and LEO shootings.. But even that total is 5K a year and look at all they are trying to do, but medical mistakes are are 250K a year.

Medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the U.S., after heart disease and cancer, causing at least 250,000 deaths every year, according to an analysis out Tuesday indicating that patient safety efforts fall far short.

"People don't just die from heart attacks and bacteria, they die from system-wide failings and poorly coordinated care," says the study's lead author, Dr. Martin Makary, a professor of surgery and health policy at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. "It's medical care gone awry."

The Hopkins team used evidence from four studies that analyzed medical death rate data from 2000 to 2008, including one by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Office of the Inspector General and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Using these data, they were able to calculate a mean death rate for medical errors in U.S. hospitals. Applying this rate to the 35 million admissions in 2013, they calculated that 251,454 deaths resulted from medical mistakes.

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/201...death-in-the-us

Back