tripod set up

Chaney2169

So ive recently been on the grind to find a cheap tripod set up. I was using a trigger stick but it was just not stable enough to be able to leave the gun on it, be hands free to scan with thermal and run the call. I researched a ton on tripods and ballheads etc. I finally figured out a setup and man is it stable! I am pumped to get out and use it. I ended up going with a slik700dx tripod. It is unbelievably steady and its not crazy heavy. I'm 6'3 and it will reach over my head when extended. After purchasing this tripod i needed some kind of mount and I was not willing to pay the money for a reaper grip or a hog saddle. I stumbled upon this on youtube

This, combined with the slik tripod is very steady and convenient. All for 120 bucks. I just wanted to make this post for anyone who was in the same boat as i was. I just could not bring myself to pay for the saddle mounts. My gun is really heavy also i run an atn with a big battery pack on the butt of the gun and it holds it no problem at all.

The only modification to this setup was that I welded up a t handle to a bolt so i can crank the lock on the ballhead a little tighter than the factory knob would allow.

edit: i bought the tripod on amazon for 99 dollars fyi

any questions feel free to message me. thanks

Last edited:
I've always been a DIY guy, the Reaper and Hog Saddle while great mounts their are cheaper alternatives out there if you're willing to use a little ingenuity. The tripod and ball head are a necessity and are not conveniently duplicated the mounting options are. It's good to see different mount options come out.

What ball head did you go with?

Well done. I love to tinker in the garage with gear. Nearly everything I use has been slightly customized to better suit me. Working on a few different projects right now. Thanks for posting.

I have two good tripods. Just need some sort of attachment to secure the rifle to them. Any thoughts?

Slik 700
Pig saddle
Random Chinese leveling head from amazon

Total cost $300
Worth every penny and rock solid.

IMG_1052_zpsgbbrvur3.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gunslinger81Forget the ball bead. Rifle flops from side to side too much. Try a leveling head and it's even more solid but allows pan and tilt.

Can you explain a little about the pan and tilt on the leveling head. I read another post where a guy ran a leveling head and used his rifle to scan by just walking around or panning with the tripod. Based on that it's hard for me to picture how a leveling head tilts.

Gunslinger, I lock the ballhead and pan from side to side and then when I'm ready to shoot I unlock it and still leave tension on it. It works great so far but I'll keep that in mind for the future if something happens I don't like

The pig saddle looks good but sure is pricy.

I assume the clamp has rubber to keep from messing up a stock?

Originally Posted By: 6mm06

We feel like $135 is inexpensive when you think about the cost to replace the rifle and/or optics that just fell on the ground as a result of a cheap product with a faulty design.

The pig saddles are great. They've been torture tested and yes, they're rubber padded to protect firearm finishes.

IMG_2537_zpsun8u6ucl.jpeg

Night Goggles Inc just became a dealer/distributor for the Pig Saddles.
thumbup.gif

We're releasing a new product very soon that you'll want to save up a little extra coin for.

Originally Posted By: Chaney2169The reason I don't like the head you showed me is it has no tilt forward and back it's only side to side, unless I'm missing something

We are both missing it, I did not think they tilted????

I have the pig saddle, it doesn't tilt, but with the silk and the rubber on the pig saddle it's very forgiving and very easy to keep on an animal. Rite now I prefer my tripod set up without tilt. Plus it holds your gun really well

Originally Posted By: NGI_TOMOriginally Posted By: 6mm06

We feel like $135 is inexpensive when you think about the cost to replace the rifle and/or optics that just fell on the ground as a result of a cheap product with a faulty design.

The pig saddles are great. They've been torture tested and yes, they're rubber padded to protect firearm finishes.

IMG_2537_zpsun8u6ucl.jpeg

Night Goggles Inc just became a dealer/distributor for the Pig Saddles.
thumbup.gif

We're releasing a new product very soon that you'll want to save up a little extra coin for.

I agree 100%!!

A hurricane will not knock the rifle out of a Pig Saddle!!

Well worth the $135

So, I like the looks of that leveling head. The way I am picturing the way it works in my mind, is like it is a ball head but with limited vertical tilt? Basically it would rotate 360 degrees, but have limited tilt, like 20 degrees or something? If so it would be a very good option I think. I would seriously consider ditching my ball head for it if that is the way it works. Looks like it has more surface area to it as well, which would mean a tighter grip when locked. One disadvantage to a ball head is it can flop completely over on its side if you loosen the tension lever too much.

I would like to hear more about it, or even see a video demonstrating it in use.

EDIT to add:

Ooops, just really read into the specs on that leveling head. It says it has a 15 degree +/- tilt, which would be about perfect. Real world it is pretty dang hard to go more than 15 degrees up or down, you have to work at it to do so. Plus if you needed to you could always get more angle by adjusting tripod legs.

Last edited:
The leveling head tilts just enough to give you plenty of vertical and horizontal motion, but added stability that doesn't just let your gun flop around.

I'll try to make a video with my rifle on it to show you more detail tonight.

Check this random video to see how it works. You might want to skip to about the 4 min mark

YouTube level head

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gunslinger81The leveling head tilts just enough to give you plenty of vertical and horizontal motion, but added stability that doesn't just let your gun flop around.

I'll try to make a video with my rifle on it to show you more detail tonight.

Check this random video to see how it works. You might want to skip to about the 4 min mark

YouTube level head

Based on that video do you actually level it at each set by the bubble or just goes with what feels good. The 15-20 degrees of tilt would seem to work fine from a standing position.

At $50 it seems a much more cost effective option than the big $$ ball mounts guys are using to do the same thing. Why spend more $$ for engineered vertical friction that isn't necessary.

You've changed my train of thought for the upcoming season.

Last edited:
Back