22mag, 222 or 22 Hornet?

ClintKY

Hey guys just wanting to get yalls opinions on something. Been looking at rifles in the following calibers for strictly predator or varmint size game at 100 yards or less shooting distance. I know you guys are way more versed on this topic than me. Just would like opinions please. I like the idea of the smaller calibers because of recoil and less noise. Also think it makes hunting a little more challenging.

I like the .22 mag with 40-50 gr bullets. It is not the most accurate of the three.
The .222 would be arguably the most accurate plus a little extra range and killing power.
Have shot but never owned a .22 hornet.

22 Mag is a rimfire, your locked into factory stuff, 22 Hornert can be finicky to load, very thin necks limited powder sellectio. 222 Rem is been one of the most accutate cartridges for many years, brass can be made from 223/5.56 in a pinch and you can load it down to 22 RF, 22 Mag, 22 Hornet if you need, good data, bullets and powder abound.

I have had a flock of all three that you mentioned.

Now, I like this:

223 bolt gun
12g of Blue dot, 40g bullet, 3000 fps

14.3g max safe load in my 14T with 40g bullet at 3200 fps, shoots 1 1/2" at 200 yards.

Brass is plentiful and cheap, a pound of Blue dot will load 6000+ rounds.

Im a big fan of the 222 Remington and the 22mag.never was a fan of the 22 hornet but lots of guys and gals like them.if i had to pick one of the three i would take the triple deuce...

Thanks alot for the replies fellas. You guys never let me down. I don't reload and won't be able to for the forcible future. Shooting factory only ammo what would you alls opinions be?

My vote goes to the .222 Remington. It'll do want you want just fine and have some extra if you want/need to stretch it out further. Plus my first called/killed coyote was with a triple deuce so I'm partial to it anyway.

Edit to add:

The factory loaded Hornady Superformance Varmint 50gr vmax shoot really well out of my Remington 700 BDL 222. Its available at local small country gas stations that also sell rifles/ammunition and if I drive over to the city it's available regularly at Dick's Sporting Goods, Cabelas, and Bass Pro. And course the internet.

Last edited:

I know it wasn't the question, but at that yardage, why did you pass over the 17hmr with a 20 grain Gamepoint or XTP bullet.

Jim D

I got a rem 722 in 222 caliber a few years ago. And i really really like that gun and caliber. It is so accurate and it will work on anything from predators to varmints. I am going to try the 45g Barnes ts on deer this season. Also if you research it the 222 used to hold the short range br match for years and years.

There is a huge power difference in the 3 rounds you mentioned. I am a small caliber guy myself but if coyotes are in your list of "predators" I would go 22 hornet minimum (not that you can't kill them with 22mag, but there will be more recovery work with less than ideal shots & fringes, likely no recover. 22Mag is jsut fine for fox & cat though). Something you missed is the 221 Fireball. It's in-between the hornet & 222 and a daisy too boot. Report will be quietest on the Hornet but they can be finicky. The 221FB & 222Rem are very mild in recoil & will give you the option of using little bigger bullet (55gr range) if desired while still shooting the 40's at great accuracy as well... If in thick cover (likely the case if your expecting

For the noise factor, the 22mag has the least report, but it
also has the least accuracy of the three. Many of us shooting
the 22mag have found that the 30gr Hornady V-Max rounds are
the most accurate. My CZ455 will actually make one holers at
50yds (3 round) with them. Three other types didn't even come
close....if only other bullet weights would come jacketed!

Of the three, if I could have only one rifle, the .222 would
get my vote, but then, I reload.

Originally Posted By: ClintKYThanks for the input guys! Looks like I'll be saving money for a 222!
Good choice, don't be afraid to look at a .223 either, lots of options there.

I think you made a good choice. Of the three you mentioned, I too would personally pick the .222 for predators. I will say up front that I have never owned a .222 but have shot a couple over the years. One thing I have done however is read a lot about the cartridge. It is a superbly accurate round and used to be found in benchrest competitions. If you handload then the worst that could be said about the cartridge is finding brass.

I have hunted jackal in Nambia with a .22 Hornet and while it works OK, to me it just lacked the stronger punch that I personally like. We used 35 gr. V-Max which may have been a tad bit on the light side and maybe a heavier bullet might have kept runners to a minimum.

I do have a .22 magnum and have owned and used four different rifles chambered in that round over the years. The .22 mag isn't bad but as previously mentioned, accuracy is not quite up to par to what I like. Finding the right load for accuracy would require some testing - and money. Shooting it could become expensive since it is rimfire and ammo isn't cheap.

There are pros and cons to most everything, but my vote goes to the 222.

I own all three. If you are shooting predominantly ground squirrels with an occasional chuck or coyote then the 22 mag would be my choice. If it's chucks and fox at less than 100 yards then the hornet would be a good choice. Bigger critters and longer distances would favor the .222.

In my rem 222 i get 3150 or so with the 50g v-max and imr 4198 or imr 4320. They are close in speed and both give me great accuracy! It is a great little round and is very accurate. I wished i had got one sooner!

Back