2017 Ground hog kills. How many so far???

Slow year. Only up to 14.

Yesterday: Savage Predator 243 @ 175 yards off the roof of the truck
DrIR2ZV.jpg

3WNCtIi.jpg

Ra4vMhx.jpg

Couple weeks ago took this 'hog from this little red barn with the Remington Model 7 in 17 Fireball

O6mdLHn.jpg

hBdBz64.jpg

Last edited:
Hello David! Just the other day I was looking back at some of your videos...

I don't get as much range time as I used to so I haven't shot many 5 shot groups lately. This spring the 17 Fireball put 2 touching right on my point of aim so I stopped wasting ammo. The Savage 243 shot 5/8" groups last summer but could use a range trip as I've missed a couple this season. I suspect it is just me as the older and out of shape I get, the harder it is to stay relaxed on the gun. My neck and back...

What have you been doing lately? Still chasing coyotes up your way?

Well, that's pretty good accuracy Wahoo. I don't waste ammo either these days and lots of times I go for 2-shot groups or 3-shot. I figure if a rifle will consistently place two shots near each other then that's good enough. Blowing more bullets down range always leaves open the possibility of pulling a shot not to mention more throat erosion.

Yep, I'm still chasing coyotes (at my bait site) but haven't hunted any this summer. I generally wait until fall to begin. I have taken several with the home-made night vision scopes. We have also been enjoying some hog hunting in Georgia for the last three years.

I too look at our old movie every so often. We got some good footage. I haven't finished the rimfire video for a variety of reasons, but what I do have is pretty good.

Just got home from a couple days of GH shooting. I had a pretty good June killing over 100 in a month. Total year to date 182. In June I shot a 20vt more than anything else. The 20 Vartarg is one of the best GH cal ever. I got a suppressor after a wait of almost 10 months and what a difference, I can see and "hear" my hits even with 32 gr vmax's @ 3750 fps.

Was out yesterday and it was hot, in the 90's. Shot 7 in the morning then after lunch I went to a farm that I have killed over 400 on in the last 5 or 6 years. The farmer had taken off the hay the day before so I had high hopes. Even in the heat of the day between 1:00 and 4:00 I was able to kill 9 with the 20vt, shots were between 150 and 375 yds. Season total 202.

Browning Abolt Micro Hunter. 22 Hornet. Recommended here by user Pruson. Love this rifle.

Saw this one on the way back to truck, he was only 25 yards away so I kept going and told him it was his lucky day. Back at the truck I realized left my cell phone out in the field so had to go back. On the way found a nice 125 yard shot and just wasn't his lucky day after all.

CzvP45i.jpg

FzLubG6.jpg

I don't post all my pics here - follow me on Instagram to see what stuff I'm after...

Hey guys. Been ages since I posted here. Moved from NJ to NC where there are no hogs. Took a trip to visit in laws in PA armed to the teeth ready for some hoggin. No where near the numbers they used to be but managed to get four in two days. One at 100 with the Marlin 17 HMR, two a 180 and one at 285 with the Savage Model 12 in 22-250. There were some misses too. Guess I'm a bit rusty. Had fun though. No pictures. Take care!

Went out last night , got a few more. Started using myAR15, I've been working up some reloads for it.but I don't think it will ever be able to compete with my Contender in 204 ! (Aside from allowing a quick follow up shot or two or ten.) Current count at 28.

Got numbers 34 and 35 tonight using the trusty 222. Shooting 50 gr blitzkings over top of IMR4198. Blew the one's head off at about 100 yards, I was fairly impressed, could never get that kind of damage with factory rounds.

I haven't been out much lately, been busy working on antique tractors and Bessemer engines.

Yeah grew up on a farm and my grandpa liked to collect antique tractors. We are members of a local tractor and engine club that holds a show every summer (last Thurs-Sun). Our club has 4 oil field engines 2 of them being Bessemers. Nobody had any interest in running them until my dad started to about 3 years ago. So I help my dad run them at the show and we also take tractors to the show. It's pretty cool to run 100+ year old engines, they are pretty neat machines.

Just got home from 2 days of shooting groundhogs and it was pretty good. A couple of the farms are done as crops are to high but was still able to pick a few off of a rock pile or a log on a field edge. I got lucky and found that the hay was just taken off on 3 other farms so that's where I spent the rest off my time. Shooting the 20 VT and 32 gr vmax had kills out to 395 yds. Ended up with 38 for the 2 days. Season total 240.

Been hitting them off and on the past couple weeks. Focusing on smaller farms so often using my PCP airguns.

Went out again yesterday after a late afternoon storm passed. Unfortunately a second storm arrived right after it and I got stuck hiding under a horse trailer until it too passed. I was good until the rain started blowing sideways and got me and the gun soaked. I thought several times of making a mad dash back to my truck and calling it a busted trip, but it was a hot summer day so no big deal getting a little wet.

It went from a 30 minute torrential downpour to sunshine and beautiful again in 30 seconds, so I kept hunting. Did a complete loop of the small farm with no groundhogs sighted, but finally saw one moments after deciding it was time to leave. I dropped down in the prone on the still soaking ground, verified the distance with my range finder, checked my range card for the 65 yard distance, decided to go with 2 mildots of holdover and let it fly. The sun was behind me and reflected off the backside of pellet which let me watch it fly almost slow motion across the field, first looping high and then dropping to nail it between the ear and eye. The groundhog just flopped over and it was DRT.

xRmEv7f.jpg

AGIXEyb.jpg

Originally Posted By: why262

That's insane for Virginia! Is it like that every year for you?

Some recents...

UPX6Ovh.jpg

2sLGvQX.jpg

ia2uy0l.jpg

MWHOs7T.jpg

Last edited:
Back