Remington Model 7 accuracy

Houser in NC

I'm looking for opinions and help.

I've decided to put a 1994 Remington Model 7, 1-9 twist, wood stock, in 6mm back into use. It's my son's rifle but he hasn't used it in years. Instead of it just sitting in the safe I figured I'd use it as a longer range truck gun and carry it when checking the pastures in case I run into a coyote, ground hog etc.

The last few weeks I've tried to come up with an accurate load using 60, 70 and 85 grain bullets. Seems like I can't get either bullet weight to group like I want them to. It might shoot 2 at .5" then throw the third out 2"-3". The last shot of the day may be in the X then the first shot the next day might be 3"-5" high and 4"-5" right or left. The first cold bore shot is what I count on to be in the X but that's not happening.

I haven't tried 100 grain bullets yet because I like the flatter shooting lighter weight bullets.

(Note- I'm not a rookie at reloading and have been loading for 35+ years developing loads for rifle and pistol)

Things I've tried;
>Vary powder charges, minimum to maximum
>Vary case OAL
>Wait on the short skinny barrel to cool 5-20 minutes between shots
>Stock tip pressure- Adding/removing shims(strips of painter's tape)
between stock and barrel
>Different scope, different mounts, different rings
>Everything tight and rechecked to verify.

It has the factory trigger in it now and I have a Timney trigger on the way. It should be here this week. If a lighter and smoother trigger doesn't improve groups I guess the stock is the next step.

Which would help my situation the most, glass bed and free float the original wood stock or buy a new B&C synthetic stock with the aluminum bedding? I'd like to get it shooting accurately but keep the cost down.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: GCHave you checked the crown?

Gary, Crown has never made me shoot better, but I helps after a day at the range.
grin.gif

lol.gif

The crown looks good and I checked it for burrs with a cotton ball.

Prior to me recently testing different bullets and loads, it was shot less than 40 times. All total it has less than 200 rounds through it.

Sounds like you've been trying a bunch of the usual stuff. I like to test with 'match' bullets when trying to figure out what a gun can do. They may not be suitable for hunting, but put one more thing in your corner during evaluation.

With the 243 my choice is the 70 grain Sierra Matchking. Just another thing to possibly try.

I have a Model 7 'Predator', shoots fine for what I do. I also have a Timney trigger, much better than that 'Pro' that came stock. I'd check the stock that it's not pressing against the barrel too.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: GCHave you checked the crown?

Gary, Crown has never made me shoot better, but I helps after a day at the range.
grin.gif

lol.gif

You need to cut back a little on the Coke?
lol.gif

I purchased one for my daughter. Never could get acceptable groups no matter what was tried. Several different brands of factory ammo. Several different bullets and powder. Pressure point, free float, action bedding.... Finally sent it packing.

You didn't say whether the rifle has the 18 or 20 inch barrel. If its the short one the bedding will be quite critical. I have a Model 7 in 7mmSAUM with a full stock from the custom shop and it shoots lights out with 160 Partitions. Does not like lighter bullets so it may be that you will have to try heavier bullets.
My 6mm Rem model 700 loves all the V-Max bullets but really loves the 87 V-Max and 105 grain A-Max. In both cases I'm using RL-19 with WLR primers. Maybe something you could try.
Good luck and don't give up on it all 3 of my model 7s including a 223 are fun guns. By the way I'm using laminated stocks on all of them.

Originally Posted By: 17freakYou didn't say whether the rifle has the 18 or 20 inch barrel. If its the short one the bedding will be quite critical. I have a Model 7 in 7mmSAUM with a full stock from the custom shop and it shoots lights out with 160 Partitions. Does not like lighter bullets so it may be that you will have to try heavier bullets.
My 6mm Rem model 700 loves all the V-Max bullets but really loves the 87 V-Max and 105 grain A-Max. In both cases I'm using RL-19 with WLR primers. Maybe something you could try.
Good luck and don't give up on it all 3 of my model 7s including a 223 are fun guns. By the way I'm using laminated stocks on all of them.

It's the 18" barrel and thanks for the encouraging words.

I have some Hornady 87gr bthp but haven't tried them yet. I also have RL19 I can try too.

I don't have a 6mm, but I have a .243 in Remington 700. It loves the 70 grain Sierra Matchking suggested above with 40 grains of Varget. Simply cuts holes with it, and that match bullet at those speeds (3400+) works fine on varmints. Normally I don't suggest powder charge, but being that's from a .243 it should be a low starting point in a 6mm. I'd try it and if it works then work up. I also would bed it in a good stock and stick with faster powders. The 6mm has a large powder capacity to get burnt in 18"...

I like Model Seven's. But none I've ever owned were ever very accurate with the factory barrels.

Considering how bad yours is shooting and everything you've already tried, I'm guessing your barrel probably sucks too. I'd have done the bedding and floating first, I always do (usually before even bothering to shoot them), but you may as well give it a try. Can't hurt, will probably help some. But unlikely to cure 2-3" groups. If the bedding is so bad it's responsible for that, I'd think you'd have figured that out already while messing with all the other stuff.

- DAA

I have the exact same model 7 6mm and same year as the one you have.I bought It 4 years ago from a guy back East. Post office broke the stock while shipping. Found a laminated walnut stock built by S&K and had my smith bed the action. Adjusted the factory trigger. I tried several loads before I was pleased with it. Will group the 70 grain sierra blitz king with Imr 4064 consistently into 1/2" groups. It mostly sets in the safe but I killed 5 or 6 hogs with it this spring. It's so handy out of the pickup window.

I had a Model 7 SS in .260 Remington that shot patterns, not groups. The newer Remingtons shoot great after you put on a new barrel, new stock, and new trigger. Sold it and lost a bunch of $$. Too many inexpensive guns that shoot great to waste time on them.

Originally Posted By: cmatera I had a Model 7 SS in .260 Remington that shot patterns, not groups. The newer Remingtons shoot great after you put on a new barrel, new stock, and new trigger. Sold it and lost a bunch of $$. Too many inexpensive guns that shoot great to waste time on them.

After more experimenting, that's the way I'm beginning to think. I could have it glass bedded but that wouldn't guarantee accuracy. I'm at the point to where it would be cheaper to put it back in the safe and pick up a 243 Ruger American Predator and reloading dies.

I have a M7 Predator in .243 that was initially very finicky and inconsistent. I added pressure on those built in pads in the synthetic stock and it settled it right down. I used several oil soaked business card shims on the pads in the stock. Now the gun is much more forgiving of loads and very accurate with its favorites. The only trouble the rifle has given me is the rear action guard screw broke flush with the bottom of the tang at some point leaving a plug of screw in the threaded hole. That rear guard screw has to be the thinnest action screw I've ever seen on a bolt rifle.

I tried everything with mine except bedding. Free floated, pressure, different OAL's primers,powders , bullets. Nothing worked-i determined for my sake, it needed to go.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: GCHave you checked the crown?

grin.gif

lol.gif

You need to cut back a little on the Coke?
lol.gif

More ice or 7up.
wink.gif

Back