convert 22 nosler to 22 beast?

Originally Posted By: BleedsBlue53gn nosler varmegeddon.
I have had the nosler brass from the beginning.

I tend to go ocd with supplies.

I'm wondering if the newest batches are harder. This batch I'm using now is reacting totally different.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: BleedsBlue53gn nosler varmegeddon.
I have had the nosler brass from the beginning.

I tend to go ocd with supplies.

I'm wondering if the newest batches are harder. This batch I'm using now is reacting totally different.

Greg

I can send you some of my brass if you want to test it.

If they did make it harder I'd be all over it.

Yet I am still tempted to get this beautiful new barrel reamed to 22beast.

Has anyone given an answer why they are not pushing the nosler to saami specs?

You could send me five. I'll PM you an address.

SAMMI is 55,000 on that case and Hodgdon is showing loads up to 54,000. A bit ofva cushion. The small head is the reason to hold it down and the way it has been self destructijg that seems like a good idea. The HAGAR can probably handle 57,000 because of the full head. The 22X6.8 handles 57,000 easily and with the pressure tests that Ritch did that's our self imposed MAX.

It's definitely a cartridge with some mystery attached. All of us shooting different brands of barrels are seeing an amount of data far in excess of any other new cartridge. I'd like to get one of the rifles that Nosler is pedaling for comparison. I do fully intend to do the HAGAR brass thing just for my own edification.

Greg

Sounds like a plan. Pm the address and I'll send a care package with some brass and bullets for testing.

The Hagar brass is the only reason I have not given up on this cartridge so far.

Yet again my OCD kicked in and forgot that I bought a stoner barrel with 1-8 twist to test some 69/77 Sierra bullets with. Lol

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: Dirty HippieOriginally Posted By: varminter .223I would guess cfe 223 will take you well into the 3600s.

I second the CFE223 it's given me my highest velocities in the Nosler and the 22-250

Dirty what loads were you using in your 18" vs. 20" comparison? The quick 18" barrel match I did on one load of 50's showed the 223 faster by 26 FPS hitting 3431 but I did have a bit more room available on the Nosler.

Greg

Greg, the 2 loads I used for comparison are 55 Hornady SP, BLC2 28.0, CCI#400, LC brass. 3370 FPS on warm days out of a 20" barrel. Brass is toast and primers are pierced on hot days. I haven't chrono'd the load in cool weather but the brass and primers are ok in winter. This is the fastest hottest load I have tried in 223.
The 18" Nosler load that gave me my fastest speed was H4198 26.5, CCI#450, Nosler 50BT, Hagar brass. 3598 FPS in the Stoner barrel. Primer pockets are loose. I think a couple 1/10's less powder would leave the brass in reusable shape. CFE-223 is close in speed and may beat the above load overall, but I can only ruin so much brass before I loose my motivation in beating the 223.
I have a 20" WOA barrel to replace the Stoner that will give me 2 equal length barrels to put head to head. Once I get it threaded I will start testing again.
DH

Very good information there. I'll jot that down in my 22 Nosler binder. I do a notebook on each barrel/chambering I shoot with all the specs and notations of data that show up like these.

Greg

Hagar brass
WOA 24" 1-12
53 nosler varm.
2.26" oal
5 shot avg

Cfe223 33.2gn 3755 fps (pressure signs)
H4895 29.9gn 3585 fps
Benchmark 29.8gn 3550fps

Tried Winchester and Rem 7 1\2 primers, Rem primers were 5fps slower along degraded groups.

Didn't actually measure the groups but did notice that the benchmark group was dime sized.

Have you tried chamfer the flash hole and using cci 450 small mag primers.this cartridge is overbore capacity .had same problems with a 22 dasher.everyone I know that shoot 6mm dasher 22dasher 22br 22norma br 22 ppc all use cci 450 primers

Originally Posted By: tonyjabHave you tried chamfer the flash hole and using cci 450 small mag primers.this cartridge is overbore capacity .had same problems with a 22 dasher.everyone I know that shoot 6mm dasher 22dasher 22br 22norma br 22 ppc all use cci 450 primers

I would like to try some cci450s but using the Rem 7 1/2 since they seem to be the most durable of the primers that I have.
here is the load that I settled with:

WOA 24" 1-12 22Nosler/Nosgar
6 Hagar brass trimmed to 1.75"
53gn Nosler Varmeggedon
2.29" OAL
Rem 7 1/2 primers
33.4gn CFE223
3794 fps avg of 5 shots
.5 moa 5 shot group

be careful with Hagar brass because of the decreased water capacity.
I know this load is over-pressured but the primers don't look too bad when the OAL is increased to 2.29" and Rem primers are used along with the durable Hagar brass.

I have a few powders to test yet, but so far this seems to be the winning combination to make this cartridge viable.

I so badly wanted another powder to work because of the smoke/flash of the CFE223 makes for a difficult followup shot using night vision.

Really digging this one up here! I was looking for info on the 22 beast/22 Hagar. So you guys are shooting 22 nosler barrels and switching bolts to a 6.8 version and then running 6mm Hagar brass through a 22 nosler die? How close is that to a true 22 Beast? I'm guessing fairly close and with common dies...

Originally Posted By: BleedsBlueThe 22beast is necked down Hagar brass. Another name for it is now 22nxs

Yes, I know that the 22 Beast is necked down Hagar brass. I'm interested in how they are using it with 22 Nosler barrels and dies or what exactly is being done with the Hagar brass here?

Originally Posted By: BleedsBlueThe 22beast is necked down Hagar brass. Another name for it is now 22nxs

The NXS is not the same dimensionally as the Beast. I uses Nosler dies.

Greg

Originally Posted By: desertcjOriginally Posted By: BleedsBlueThe 22beast is necked down Hagar brass. Another name for it is now 22nxs

Yes, I know that the 22 Beast is necked down Hagar brass. I'm interested in how they are using it with 22 Nosler barrels and dies or what exactly is being done with the Hagar brass here?

Are you asking about using Hagar brass in the Nosler and what we do to it?

Greg

I use a Redding 22nosler body die to push the shoulder back then run it through the FL sizing die to neck it down (you will need 6.8spc shellholder #21), trim to length, debur, load (1.4gn less water than nosler). (you will dent cases of any lube is on the neck) Change bolt to 6.8spc and shoot.

The brass can withstand more pressure resulting in speed gains and you will see a dramatic increase in accuracy. Nonetheless the brass holds up much better. H4895 powder currently has been my go to powder for speed/accuracy/temp stability. CFE223 is faster and very accurate but very temp sensitive.

You will need to work up loads for virgin brass and fireformed brass.

Garrett not really sure what your problem is ( and don't really care ) but I'm pretty sure you can't get more standard than SAAMI. The 22 Nosler was approved 2 years ago. As far as I know the 6mm Hagar isn't standard

Last edited:
Back