Free float hand guard

ironworker

I have the 1st generation Springfield "Saint" the 2nd gen they just produced has a free float handguard . I wonder how much of an improvement that is over the standard one ? I don't like my current front sight how it's in my field of vision. Gun shop says they install a free float hand guard and new front gas block for $200 bucks ,but maybe just a new front gas block is enough . Won't be shooting past 250 yds .

Last edited:
I'm assuming the gunshop near you charges $200 plus parts? Or what handguard and gas block are they installing? Pulling a gas block then installing a new handguard isn't a big job, half hour or less really unless the original barrel nut is totally stuck - so $200 in labor is way too high. Alternatively, if the $200 includes parts and labor both, it must be a pretty cheap handguard they're using, and a non-adjustable gas block.

For my AR's (a whole bunch of them), and any I build for others (a whole bunch more), I use free floating handguards, and more importantly, adjustable gas blocks to give me ultimate control over the action. In general, I expect to pay $75-100 for the gas block alone, plus $150-250 on the free float handguards. So $50-100 in labor, $75-100 for an AGB, and $150-250 in free float handguard, $200 isn't enough for quality parts, if the parts are included, and it's FAR too much if the parts are not included.

How much a non-floating handguard will affect your shooting will depend on how variant your positions might be. If you're shooting free recoil from the bench, and ONLY such, then a free float guard won't make much difference. If you're shooting from a fence post some days, sticks another, the hood of the truck another, a bipod, a bench, a sling... Then a free float tube can make a huge difference in POI consistency. I have 2 remaining rifles which run clamshells, one an M4gery which I won't ever update, leaving it true to form, but I don't often shoot that one, and the other is a rifle I'm holding effectively on pawn - if I end up keeping it, it'll either get sold or get a new handguard and gas block.

No Labor charge. I picked out a 13" BCM Free float handguard and a Low profile gas block. Including tax it was $250.00 Sparks Black rifle Sparks NV

Ironworker,
If its just that your front sight is in the way you can fix that buy simply cutting it off with a hacksaw or dremel tool, filing it down and cold blue/refinish where you have cut and filed. It can be done without disassembly of the upper. For 250 yards or less a free float tube won't make that much difference in plinking/hunting accuracy. Do a search and you will find details and YouTube vids on cutting down your front sight. Just another option you can look into for little to zero dollars spent.

Last edited:
Another option, if your dead set on spending 200 to 250 dollars, would be to simply buy another upper and share your BCG and lower between the two. I have recently seen many assembled uppers with free float tubes for between 175 and 250 dollars. This would probably be the option I would pursue as opposed to redoing your current upper although I would build it myself. Same dollars spent, two separate uppers!!!

Back