Inexpensive Red Dot for AR?

When you say SHTF AND HD, I think of several options on the same weapon....most have been posted above somewhere amongst the melee to show oneself superior in all things knowledgeable and paycheck. Tritium fails over time, and in true SHTF, no batteries will be available. I have some of the above, and all have their place. Just bought a TRS-25 Bushy for Midway @ $80 - 25% rebate. Wanna try one out. Lifetime warranty. Just sent a B & L scope back to Bushy from a gun I just bought. Fixed it free, and I paid $10 to ship. I like tritium, but it too wears out in time - long time. Just picked up Diamondhead Nitebrite poly BUIS from Primary for $60?? on sale?? We'll see how they work out. Have an older Trijicon Reflex that works ok for the price, but the newer stuff is better, and more expensive. Low power scopes work admirably in low light, but prob not the best in the dark up close. I have an old Tasco red dot from the 80's that's still ticking after yrs on a 44 mag. Should prob always have BUIS for such purposes IMHO. With ability to mount and power a scope, light and dot as warranted. I havent seen rechargeable CR2032's yet. JMHO.

Take a look at the Millet 1-4 DMS scope. It has an etched reticle so battery failure won't be a problem. It has a good 1X with little distortion that can give you CQB capability but then allows you to reach out to about 500 yards at 4X. Back it up with a set of flips ups, "just in case" and that is a good combination. I have also put a MFT mini LED light on the rail just ahead of the scope that I can leave it. It is low profile and there when I need it. Is it as good as a higher end tac light? No. But it is not as big and bulky and it is fairly inexpensive that I can leave on there permanently.

Originally Posted By: RahlowWow lots of good info, thanks to all.

Glad to help. Many of us have been fortunate to find helpful, knowledgeable folks that took the time to share their knowledge with us. It helps to make our community overall better.

Well I went with the Bushnell and the rebate. We shall see how I like it soon. lol And I found a Quad rail for cheap at Sportsmans Guide, it should be here this week, then I will add the Magpul flip up's.
Thanks again y'all

Last edited:
That's a sweet deal for a inexpensive red dot.I have one and I have had no problems with it.I run it on my 12guage and I have run it on my SBR 300blk out! Pretty awesome unit for the money.

Quick question. Does mounting the red dot forward or rearward on the top rail, effect the shown POA?
If its say, 1" low mounted as far forward as it will go, would moving it towards the rear raise/lower the shown POA? Without making adjustments with the elevation knob? Just a silly question that popped up in my head last night.

Not if the mount remains on the same plane. Of course there could be nuances in your base height of +/- 0.001 or so that might not be noticeable but with a dot the slop would accommodate that easily.

Greg

Originally Posted By: Bob Tobergte This will be my 3rd TRS25.

Coolbeans.
I may actually get to the range this week,,,,

OK, here is my range report, such as it is with no pictures. The red dot experience is new to me, I have always been what my son calls a precision points scoring shooter LOL ( scope user)
After a couple of shots I got it zero'd, and I placed 99% of my shots within an 8" diameter target at 50 and 75 yards. I was shooting from a bench with only a forearm rest.
I was uncomfortable with POI at 75 yards so I didn't try it at 100 yards. Not sure I would take a shot at a coyote at 100 yards with a red dot,,,,not until I get more comfortable/used to it.
Shooting with both eyes open is different, a lot different for me anyway.
I got 80 rounds of Winchester 55 grain 556 thru the AR so far. The recommended break-in process is slow. Its a new DPMS Oracle, my first AR. I love the rifle.

Speaking of pictures, what do most use for pic hosting, Photobucket is so slow it's useless, is the ad free Photobucket any faster???

thanks y'all

Back