Which 3 rifles for Montana pdog shoot.

spotstalkshoot

1. Savage long range varminter .223.(6x24-40 scope)
2. TC dimension .223 (likes 40 gr vmax, 3x9 scope)
3. Rem 700 varmint 22-250 4x16-40 scope
4. Bushmaster 20" ar15 223 4.5x14 scope
5. Custom ar15 in 17 rem. Heavy barrel. Shoots 25gr bullets touching at 100.
Can take two,possibly 3 if someone in the group needs a second rifle. The Savage has been my primary pd gun, all of the rifles are handloaded to well under 1 moa. Will be shooting in mid July.

Last edited:
Personally, I would take #1, #2, & #5,,,But swap the scope from #3 to #2....While high power optics are great starting out early in the morning, as the day heats up, mirage will limit you to about 18x at max...Take a styrofoam cooler to keep your ammo in and plan on rifles heating up quickly...

Originally Posted By: BWBWhich ever 3 have the most magnification on the optic, but 1,3 and 5 seem like your best options.
thumbup1.gif

No matter what other guns I am taking I never leave my .17 Remington home.

The group of guys have agreed to a two rifle each limit. We will be shooting private land,guided. I think that brings my 17 rem into the #2,maybe even the #1 rifle spot. The Savage 223, I worked up a single shot( long col) load with the 53gr vmax that is bughole. Mid range powder load of Benchmark. The guide said to expect shooting to be inside 300 yards, so wind could be biggest issue.

I have a Sightron stac 4-20x50 with moa reticle, incoming so there will be a scope upgrade on one of the 2 choosen.

Last edited:
My experience has taught me that I would rather be shooting than letting the rifles sit and cool off all the time, especially when the range will be around 300yds or less and to boot it be in July.. I would be taking the 223s of your choice... #1 and #4 for me!!!

Originally Posted By: reddog964My experience has taught me that I would rather be shooting than letting the rifles sit and cool off all the time, especially when the range will be around 300yds or less and to boot it be in July.. I would be taking the 223s of your choice... #1 and #4 for me!!!

^^^^ I considered that also when I was making my recommendation, but couldn't agree more. Shooting anything beats waiting for things to cool off.

But you may consider a 17 hmr for the under a 100 yrd shots when we were in Wyoming at the beginning of June the 17 hmr got alot of time by my Dad.

I have been thinking about barrel temps with just two rifles, there is a chamber fan device called Barrelcool. I will call them and see if will fit a 17 cal ar15.

Originally Posted By: slanceyI agree with wicka, just bring number 3 and enjoy.

Tell us what you decided!

lol. dont think that is what wicka meant.

think he meant "you can only take 3 guns?"

Oh dang, I think you're right. My bias is showing, as in, I would only take the 22-250. Sorry for the confusion!

My new answer: sell all 5 and build a custom .220 Swift.

Other than wildfires keeping us off two ranches the Montana shooting was a hoot. I went with 1 and 3. Pulled the old Tasco off the 223 and put the Sightron on it, easy to shoot 350. The 22-250 wore the Monarch with bdc reticle, not good for prairie dogs. Will have another 1/4 moa dot reticle scope for the next trip.

Quote:I have been thinking about barrel temps with just two rifles, there is a chamber fan device called Barrelcool. I will call them and see if will fit a 17 cal ar15....Rather than go that route, why not just soak a towel in ice water and lay in on the barrel/chamber...It won't hurt the metal and, hopefully, you wipe it down with a moisture dispersing agent like Barricade or WD-40...

Back