Who's been checked by authorities while packing a can?

Not checked but showed my suppressed ar and my ak pistol to an officer we called out to a recovered stolen vehicle. He didn't give a rip about paperwork. All he said was Cool.

Maybe someone who knows a lot more will chime in but the way I understand it, only an ATF agent has the authority to request seeing your paperwork.

Originally Posted By: B23Maybe someone who knows a lot more will chime in but the way I understand it, only an ATF agent has the authority to request seeing your paperwork. Although I have never seen it in writing, this is what I was also told by my dealer.

Originally Posted By: B23Maybe someone who knows a lot more will chime in but the way I understand it, only an ATF agent has the authority to request seeing your paperwork.

This is how I understand it also.

AZ fish and Game asked for it in unit 1 last fall. While coyote calling. It was in the truck, and we were told that it had to be on your person. (we had a photo of it on the phone that we showed at the shooting spot) The truck was a couple hundred yards away and that stuff isn't laminated.

Nothing more than a cursory look at the paperwork. (I had my suspicions that he didn't know what he was looking at or for, because he didn't even ask to see ID or the serial # on the can, and just wanted to see what the paper work looked like) I was asked for my hunting lic. since i had the coyote, and my friend was the one with the can.

It just seems to me that we need camo with bigger side pockets and a water proof document shield for all the paper work a guy has to haul to hunt anymore.
Depending on where i hunt,

Hunting lic,
drivers lic,
vehicle reg,
proof of ins.
hunters safety,
base hunting saftey,
now Can paperwork,

Fishing isn't much better,
I keep a plastic water proof box in the boat for all the registration and inspections.

That is true. But any LEO can hold you at the jail house till an ATF agent shows up to check out the papers also. So its a fine line.

Ive never been asked to show my Stamps but have stopped on the side of the road one evening to talk to a Deputy to make sure everything was ok. Talked for awhile and figured out they have to buy their own rifles and if they can qualify with them, they get to keep them in their patrol cars.
One thing lead to another and time for show n tell. Let him check out the thermal and suppressors. While we are talking he looks over and ask "Whats that out there in the field?"
I turn around to see 5 hogs walking out of the corn into the cotton field. Ran down there and busted 4 of the 5. Deputy was just as excited as i was haha.. He had never heard anything like it.

Even goin thru a road block with the AR on the seat with suppressor sticking up (had just got thru shooting and the suppressor was hot so i pointed it up to not burn anything). State Trooper checked driver license, looked over and smiled then sent me down the road.

You would be amazed at how many LEO dont even know the law about guns in general, much less NFA stuff.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZ... just seems to me that we need camo with bigger side pockets and a water proof document shield for all the paper work a guy has to haul to hunt anymore...

That's why I carry a backpack with a bunch of pockets & zippers..
In Georgia, we need to carry wriiten permission from the landowner to use a can on private land, plus fed paper/stamp, plus extra ammo, plus etc...

Thanks for the replies.. At a gathering the other evening the topic came up.. None of us in attendance have one... Here in Montana most leo's I meet are pretty laid back.. And in the areas I coyote hunt they are most likely to tell you where they have been seeing them once they realise what your doing.. Has anyone built there own? I have a buddy who is a machinist, maybe could save a few bucks... Cause one isn't going to be enough..

I carry copies but have never been asked to see them. Lots of agents and LEO have sen them and asked to shoot them. I even have a game warden that looks for me every deer season just to see what I have new with me.

Like a lot of you guys here the l.e.o.'s I've ran into are more interested in the can then they are in checking my paperwork. Most agree that the tax stamp is stupid for suppressors and want to see it lifted so they can use them more easily themselves.

I will add that even though an ATF agent is, maybe, technically the only one who can request to see your paperwork, I would have no problem showing my proof of legal ownership to any LEO that asked me for it.

Originally Posted By: Jim Byers Has anyone built there own? I have a buddy who is a machinist, maybe could save a few bucks... Cause one isn't going to be enough..

That is the fastest way to end up in Federal Prison especially for your buddy that is a machinist.

If stopped, they will arrest for having a class 3, the machinist will be arrested for manufacturing class 3 with out a lic, and distribution of those items without registration and I am sure they will add a few more charges.

Just not worth it. IMO
It's like driving drunk vs. paying for $50 for an uber. Seems like a pricey fee for a ride, but, that DUI will cost you 200x that.

Quote:You would be amazed at how many LEO dont even know the law about guns in general, much less NFA stuff....It's not the ones that do know the ins and outs, but the uneducated, with bad info or rumors, that you need to be wary of...

Quote: Has anyone built there own? I have a buddy who is a machinist, maybe could save a few bucks.....Unless he has a federal license to manufacture, that's about 15 years in a federal pen and a huge monetary fine...Back in 1968, when the "Welfare" riots were going on and officers were being sniped at from roofs and fire escapes in Kansas City, I was carrying an unauthorized M1 Carbine in my patrol car...A machinist buddy was willing to make it full auto and I wouldn't put him in that position...I would take the department heat for an unauthorized weapon, but not willing to go through a federal investigation,,,

A home made silencer can be made using form 1,if you go to ar15.com forum armory,sub forum silencers-build it yourself you should be able to find the answers to any questions you have.

Originally Posted By: catmechA home made silencer can be made using form 1,if you go to ar15.com forum armory,sub forum silencers-build it yourself you should be able to find the answers to any questions you have.

Correct

Originally Posted By: crapshootOnly carry COPIES! Leave the originals at home. I also keep pdf files of all my paperwork and trust on my phone.

Exactly!!

I have pictures of all my hunting and fishing information in the camera on my iPhone.

If you can get into my iPhone you will see my hunting and fishing life story......good luck!

I have had numerous run ins with the local Game Warden (DOW Officer) in one of the areas I hunt regularly, he has never once asked to see my license, hunters safety card, suppressor stamp or checked any of my rifles. It pays to have a close relationship with LEO in the areas you travel, hunt and fish.

according to this website, This guy was making "muzzle breaks" and was arrested. He was found innocent, but just keep in mind that he had to hire a lawyer, and deal with court costs, bail, retainers and all just to not go to jail and despite winning, all the costs your are out do not get refunded. (maybe that would be a good thing to change, and make the DA or DOJ pay for the costs when found not guilty)
http://www.guns.com/2017/02/21/jury-clears-man-charged-with-making-illegal-silencers/

Back