Flippin' Flickertails

nd_rice

Just thought I would share some action from today. This was my first outing with my 20Tac and before I fired my first shot I knew I should have brought my AR for up close shooting. Luckily I did bring my CZ 452 Ultra Lux. I hunted the other half of this pasture earlier this year before the "pups" were born. Now there were plenty of small targets and they weren't shy and they were CLOSE!!! I think one of them was deaf because he was just hanging out there barking at me after 15 fairly rapid shots.

IMG_0083_zpshwxcb8do.jpg

I couldn't pass on sooooo many up close shots so out came the CZ. Shooting sub-sonic round nose bullets make for very P.C. kill photos. All 22 shots were standing off hand and made for good practice.

IMG_0098_zpsf9llq8pt.jpg

IMG_0099_zpsonefddhn.jpg

The wind was blowing in my face from about 11'oclock at 10 gusting to 23 and the temp was 65 degrees. So now I went to work with my 20T. I'm shooting 26.4gr of IMR8208XBR, 39g Sierra's @ 3900fps out of my Savage 12FV with a 24" Shilen 1-12twist. Scope is a Vortex HS LR 6-24x50 FFP. I really like this scope. It's held in place by a med height DNZ one piece mount. All on a B&C stock. This is my first summer seriously hunting varmints, so that is my excuse for a lower hit %. I have also been reloading since last Dec so I am fairly new to that too. My best streak on this day was 12 in a row. I kept shooting high because I zeroed this rifle for 200y and most of the shots were at 130-175y and I knew that would right at the top of the arc for my zero. I hit on 30 out of the first 50 shots. Shot # 50 was almost my very first double but #2 crawled away slowly. I know he was hit but I didn't see him dead so I don't count it. Still waiting for my first double. Here's my only approved 20T kill shot. I haven't taken the time to photoshop the other kill pics to make them internet friendly.

IMG_0082_zpsyjycudaq.jpg

I don't have my total hit% for the day but after my initial 50 shots I got my second box of ammo and when I took a break for the barrel to cool I hit on 23 of 30. I was hoping to strech the range on the 20T but today just wasn't the day. But the highlight was I did get my first double!!! I spotted 2 playing @ 250y and I knew I could hold right on the money at that range. I only had to wait about 10 seconds and I saw my chance BOOM..THWACK I knew I had one for sure and I saw #2 whippin' his tail back and forth but he wasn't moving besides that. I stared thru my scope and made sure to landmark the spot then I ranged it with my rangefinder and it was a little over 250y. So I grabbed my camera and my CZ and started walking. It took me about 10 minutes and 25 22lr shots to get there.

IMG_0093_zpsjjjjzhmq.jpg

I can't show the pic without editing but I confirmed my first DOUBLE! I eventually made it back after firing all of my 22lr ammo and quit after getting 15 more shots. Now I need to go home and trim about 400 pieces of 20T brass in hopes of going west P-dog shooting in a couple weeks. If you're reading this and thinking about rebarreling a Savage go for it! Even a Norwegian like me can do it. Oh and I blame Silverfox for getting me started.

IMG_0109_zpsxgykdaxr.jpg
IMG_0116_zpsjydmim2h.jpg

1689.gif

Changed to new HOM banner, but no pics in story, so...

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay now you should be able to easily see the pics. You've got to remember I'm Norwegian (slow & stubborn) so it took me awhile to figure out this picture posting thing.

Back