Silencerco Radius

vetman1

Looking at the Silencerco Radius rangefinder to help me judge distances at night while hunting with a Thermal. I have a Pulsar XP50 and I just find it hard to judge distances at night. Any real world experience with the Radius and the Pulsar XP50?

Is the radius awkward to use going from looking at the XP50 then the Radius for distance then back to the XP50 for the shot?

Does the Radius make the gun more cumbersome to carry and shoot?

What is the real world battery life of the Radius?

Does the Radius hold the zero pretty good or does it need to be checked often?

What are the chances that Pulsar will come out with a laser rangefinder that they could incorporate directly into the XP50 display?

I don't have any experience with the Pulsar but I've been running the Radius with a Flir RS32 35mm and it has been working great. It's holding zero pretty good. The radius weighs 18oz I think. It's not terriblely heavy but after a all night hunt you will know it's there.
Battery life is weird so far. First set didn't Last but about 8 hours. I'm on the second set now and goin to see how long they last.

So far I've ranged a tree line at 2445 yards and a deer at 950 yards and confirmed it with measure map on my phone.

The radius is on the left side of my rifle and it's very easy to see if your shooting with both eyes open.

I like the range of its dimmer. Even on a pitch black night to a bright sunny afternoon.

Last edited:
Were you running continuous ranging?

Weight is heavy just over a 1lb but built like a tank.

I am still on first battery set.

Dimming is very nice, from bright sun to pitch black nights, set it to what you want.

I use reading glasses, but the charging handle on my ar15 has a x metal pattern on the left side of the handle.
When I look thru the small gaps it forms I can read the display on the radius just fine.
The charging handle makes like a peep sight and clears up the display for me so reading glasses are not needed.

I am using it with a mkIII 60mm, so ranging cattle at 1200yds saves me a little walking.
Critters under certain conditions can appear to be different critters. Cows laying down with calf's walking around @ 1200yds away look like the backs of hogs 5-600 yds away in a sorghum field or any like planted field that blocks their lower body.

Getting a range makes sizing the critter possible using the reticle, that's if you know the reticle size at 100yds.

Last edited:
Yea when we get out of the truck i have been turning it on and putting it on Continuous Ranging and dont turn it off or go to manual ranging until it gets slow or get back to the truck.
I always shoot both eyes open so its very easy to see.

Thanks guys for the info, I'm thinking about buying one but want more information on how it works in the field with tripods and carrying all night

It really depends on what your going to use it for.
That's all i do is throw my rifle on a set of trigger sticks and get to ranging. Coyote hunting, Deer Depredations, and Hog Blasting it takes all the guess work out of it. I just try and get about 2 or 3 consistent readings and go with it.
Ive got my 6.8 setup for the Max Point Blank Range of a 12" target and being 6" high at 175 and 3" low at 300 yards it takes all the guess work out of it for sure.
Headed to a new farm tonight that is wide open. I usually go to google earth and measure the fields to get an idea what to expect before heading out.

they are worth the money for me. I have no problem admitting that I had a bad tendency to over estimate range at night. this thing really take all the guess work out of it

I just got mine zeroed the other night on my Bushmaster .223.
I have an IR Hunter Mark3 60mm and i cannot wait until the rattle snakes are gone and the fur starts priming up!

I paid $499 for mine and got free shipping.

Back