Search for a tripod ends (temporarily)

CSM52

I posted several weeks ago asking about tripods. I got lots of good help and information and was about to pull the trigger and buy a 055 and ball head.

I just happedened to be at the local flea market and see what seems to be a standing height camera tripod. I ask the guy if he knows anything about it and he tells me that he bought it new a long time ago and it was top notch when he bought it. It's all aluminum and had a type of swiveling head. I asked how much and he replies 10 bucks! I thought I can afford to try this one out.

After getting it home I decided to try and fabricate a mount before I buy the nice but not cheap pig saddle or reaper grip.

I got a cheap 5 dollar bipod adapter and took the sling stud out and mounted it to the tripod head with a slim style nut. I then put a keymod pic rail on the base of my AR.

20170623_164448_zps9bdxnlsb.jpg
[/URL]

I still plan on getting the pig saddle or reaper grip because of the quick ability to change rifle

Less than 30 bucks in the total setup. Pretty happy and seems very sturdy and holds the rifle and scope up great

Looks good, like the home made mount. My only concern would be how far the center tube extends. Once you start leaning in and tracking a critter how much is that gonna flex and move compared to a set up where the rifle is close to the yoke of the tripod.

So far with what I have played with it the center tube does not give. The only issue I have had is the legs slip outward until I put the string on all 3 as a safety belt type thing.

I had an old Manfrotto 3205 and Bogen ball head from when I used to do some photography way back in the day. It is a good solid tripod, but not as heavy as some of the ones today that are actually designed to hold rifles. I bought a Pig Saddle for it hoping that it would work OK. Turns out that it works really well for my needs. Sure, if I was competing in PRS or was a military or LE sniper I would want the top of the line and would upgrade. But for what I do it works plenty good. I think you can find the 3205 Manfrotto used on Ebay for like $80-$100, and it is pretty solid. Center post is good and heavy, angle on the legs have positive stops, and you can clamp the leg extensions really tight. My son shot a doe off mine last year at 540 yards with my 6.5 Creedmoor from a sitting position.

This is in with my 243 calling rifle in it.

Last edited:
Here is a setup exactly like mine, tripod and ball head together for $100. Just in case anyone else is looking for an affordable setup that works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bogen-Manfrotto-3205-Tripod-with-3262-Ball-Head-Italy-/132236217891?epid=102947402&hash=item1ec9e48e23:g:sJIAAOSw8GtZTD5E

Well, looks like the link is not going to post right. Anyways, if someone is interested they can do a search and look it up I suppose.

Last edited:
I'm gonna try mine out on a couple hunts and see how it holds up. I've already shot a couple rifles off of it and it seems really sturdy for the size price etc...i still want a pig saddle or similar

The Pig Saddle is pretty good for the price. A Reaper would probably fit the AR forend better, but more money. Hog Saddle is top end, but I flat don't have the cash flow for that.

Anyways, I am always a big fan of taking what ya got and making it work. That is how most of my stuff is.

Fixed the link, some times you just got to delete some of the crap of the end of ebay links to get them to work

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXHere is a setup exactly like mine, tripod and ball head together for $100. Just in case anyone else is looking for an affordable setup that works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bogen-Manfrotto-...947402&hash

Well, looks like the link is not going to post right. Anyways, if someone is interested they can do a search and look it up I suppose.

Ah, thanks for fixing the link pmack. It was bugging me because I haven't ever had trouble posting links before. Figured I was doing something wrong but had no idea what.

Back