Suppressed gas system help

Doghunter90

So I built my first suppressor and it's doing a great job at suppressing the boom I installed an adjustable gas block and set it up but I still have quite a bit more recoil and I'd like to tone that down as best I can. My setup is an 18" .223 Wylde rifle length gas system nickel boron bcg and I think my buffer and spring are for a carbine could this be my problem should I try a different buffer and or spring? Oh and my can is an 8" .30 cal with 60degree stacked cone baffles. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Probably need to look at a heavier buffer and spring. You are then probably going to have to re-tune your gas block for proper cycling. As Steve asked above we need to look at your ejection pattern to see if the gas system is tuned correctly. Depending on where it is landing and the amount of blowback it still might be over gassed which could be causing the recoil impulse issue even though the gun is cycling.

Originally Posted By: Rangerwalker71I would look at the JP captured Spring set up. It works great on my guns, Also Gemtech makes a Suppressor BCG.

I have also had good luck with the JP Silent Capture spring. If you keep your standard spring setup you might try a KYNSHOT Hydraulic Buffer. I ran one in a 6.8SPC and with good results.

https://www.kyntec.com/work/precision-recoil-dampers-26/

hku8EVc.png

Last edited:
Ok I'll check some things tonight I'm going to do a little night shooting tonight to make sure my poi didn't shift after I put my clip on back on the gun thanks for the picture I didn't realize that there was a sweet spot where you wanted your brass to eject

OK so I shot three three round groups and all of the shells were right close together right in the 4:30 line of the picture above

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay I've been busy the past few days but anyway it feels like I'm getting more recoil since I added the suppressor it's not terrible I guess but I'm just wanting to tune down the recoil as much as possible so if a coyote runs I won't lose him in the scope. I haven't noticed gas in my face since I added the adjustable gas block does anyone know anything about the kentec hydraulic buffer they have a 10 year 1 million round guarantee and I've read a ton of great reviews on them just curious if anyone has first hand experience

Originally Posted By: Doghunter90Sorry for the delay I've been busy the past few days but anyway it feels like I'm getting more recoil since I added the suppressor it's not terrible I guess but I'm just wanting to tune down the recoil as much as possible so if a coyote runs I won't lose him in the scope. I haven't noticed gas in my face since I added the adjustable gas block does anyone know anything about the kentec hydraulic buffer they have a 10 year 1 million round guarantee and I've read a ton of great reviews on them just curious if anyone has first hand experience

I just ordered one but have not received it yet, so I am curios myself.

Once I started shooting my AR's suppressed I switched all of mine to the JP silent captured and I'm very happy with the results.

Might still try to turn the gas down. The lower you run the gas the less recoil you feel. Just make sure it cycles. When I cycle my .308 down until I get a 3 O'Clock ejection I get my softest recoil. If I crank up the gas, ejecting more towards 4:30 or even out in front I get a lot more recoil.

Just turn your gas screw all the way in, back out 1/4 turn and put one round in the mag and fire. If it doesn't lock back go an 1/8 turn and repeat until it locks back and then go another 1/16 turn or until it reliably locks back. This won't let your buffer be bottoming out upon firing.

Originally Posted By: Doghunter90Sorry for the delay I've been busy the past few days but anyway it feels like I'm getting more recoil since I added the suppressor it's not terrible I guess but I'm just wanting to tune down the recoil as much as possible so if a coyote runs I won't lose him in the scope. I haven't noticed gas in my face since I added the adjustable gas block does anyone know anything about the kentec hydraulic buffer they have a 10 year 1 million round guarantee and I've read a ton of great reviews on them just curious if anyone has first hand experience

I think the hydraulic buffer is a more complicated solution than you need. Tuning your gas block properly will give you better results. Close the gas until the AR will eject the empty but not lock back on an empty mag. Then, open it one click or a quarter turn and see if it will lock back on an empty mag.

Using an H or H2 buffer and a quality action spring will let you tune your AR for a good combination of reliable function and soft recoil.

The ejection pattern chart isn't a reliable method of tuning

Last edited:
Thank you for the smart reply much appreciated if you had read my posts I was never complaining about felt recoil my goal is to be able to get back on target as fast as possible maybe I'll try to be more clear I'm trying to prevent as much muzzle jump as possible

Originally Posted By: Doghunter90So I built my first suppressor and it's doing a great job at suppressing the boom I installed an adjustable gas block and set it up but I still have quite a bit more recoil and I'd like to tone that down as best I can. My setup is an 18" .223 Wylde rifle length gas system nickel boron bcg and I think my buffer and spring are for a carbine could this be my problem should I try a different buffer and or spring? Oh and my can is an 8" .30 cal with 60degree stacked cone baffles. Any help would be greatly appreciated

To maximize performance of recoil reduction on your .223, go caliber specific, or drop the can and get the ZRO-Delta Cowl Induction Muzzle Brake, it'll reduce your recoil up to 65%.

We have used a heavier buffer and spring which worked in most cases to reduce the recoil.
We have had success with installing a mercury recoil reducer in place of the buffer tube. But did have to adjust the gas block to compensate for the change in the bolt cycling.

Back